Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
I really like your weather classification system, “the weather is between ISO 25000 and 50000” :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

I like the Pochard!
You are lucky: here the weather is between ISO 25000 and 50000. The mountain is just few km from my place and normally one can "count" the trees there. Today I don't see the mountain because of the rain. And the forecast is for few more days like this (but I hope they are wrong... at least for few hours).:sleep:

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here's a more serious image
Hi Jaysheldon! I'm not really sure your second photo is more serious! We use to underestimate the intelligence of the animals - explaining it with "instincts" but recently there is significand interest about their 'instincts" (connected with the development of the artificial intelligence probably?!). I'm recently pressed to make a short report (in good, per review journal) about my observations how some local Night Herons are fishing: it needs a lot of more observations (and video!) to make/prove it! So far the juveniles that I have seen are not able to do it (2 specimens). Adults: 1 doing it with a lot of success, 2th ~somewhat (1/3 of the success of the first one) and the Third - absolutely no success. Long story short: if you throw piece of bred in the water they use it very differently! They do not eat it (as expected!) but some of them are more experienced (huh - is it the right term? Why not "smarter" or both?!) to use it for fishing (small Tilapia is attacking the bred instantly on that place)!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
My only contribution from today - I was so stupid to make a chaperone for 4 kids (two families, one of the moms came with me too) - in the zoo... In the same time my wife was taking care about the rest of the two families - like showing them good spots for shopping in Waikiki and eating in good restaurant (all of them are friends). Never more! All this time I was able to take just one very short burst in the big cage where the birds are all around you -huh, not exactly today with all these kids! In generally there is a lot of wild birds in the zoo but with such a company you have no chance!
At least at the end of the day I was able (or angry enough?) to say to all of them - no more!!!

DSC_0234_DxO.jpgDSC_0236_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My only contribution from today - I was so stupid to make a chaperone for 4 kids (two families, one of the moms came with me too) - in the zoo... In the same time my wife was taking care about the rest of the two families - like showing them good spots for shopping in Waikiki and eating in good restaurant (all of them are friends). Never more! All this time I was able to take just one very short burst in the big cage where the birds are all around you -huh, not exactly today with all these kids! In generally there is a lot of wild birds in the zoo but with such a company you have no chance!
At least at the end of the day I was able (or angry enough?) to say to all of them - no more!!!

View attachment 188053View attachment 188054
If photos in walk-in aviaries are allowed, I'll show why I love Java Sparrows from my seeing them close up in Hong Kong aviary. They are so cute. The HK aviary is huge and high as it goes down a hill in the park, allowing the birds a large space in which to fly. I used a bridge camera for these.
DSC02485_DxO_Java_sparrowsLC.jpgDSC02449_DxO_Java_sparrow_LC_VVS.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If photos in walk-in aviaries are allowed, I'll show why I love Java Sparrows from my seeing them close up in Hong Kong aviary. They are so cute. The HK aviary is huge and high as it goes down a hill in the park, allowing the birds a large space in which to fly. I used a bridge camera for these.
View attachment 188057View attachment 188058

I'm quite sure there are no bird police in this thread! And we're not here for competition ... well maybe a little friendly competition, which is healthy. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Nice shots.
The aviary sounds very much like the one just outside KualaLumpur (though from what I can tell, the one in K-L is larger) - very well worth a visit if you are in Malaysia.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice shots.
The aviary sounds very much like the one just outside KualaLumpur (though from what I can tell, the one in K-L is larger) - very well worth a visit if you are in Malaysia.
The KL one is much, much larger with far more birds. It claims to be the largest in the world. It's good for Bulbuls amongst others. Bridge camera again as the full size kit is a bit too conspicuous in these public areas.

DSC01988-DxO_yellowventedbulbul_lum.jpgDSC01961-DxO_stripedthroatbulbul.jpgDSC01981-DxO_scalybreastedbulbul.jpgDSC02041-DxO_blackheadedbulbul.jpgDSC02062-DxO_redwhiskeredbulbul.jpgDSC02096-DxO_blackcrestedbulbul.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
This Snowy Owl has been hanging around the airport for a little over a month, but has been hard to locate. Saturday morning, she was sitting in the grass, near the road. Doesn't get much better for a view of an owl! 7D Mkll / EF500 F4 / 1.4xlll

Jeremy

Snowy Owl (female) 151.jpgSnowy Owl (female) 153.jpgSnowy Owl (female) 157.jpgSnowy Owl (female) 159.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon has got it wrong again with the 1DXIII. Waste of all that hardware and advanced software just to recognise footballers etc.
What we want:
High speed APS-C sensor with an on-off AA-filter sensor for extra reach, with the option to switch to FF for close-by slow moving or static birds or animals.
Bird recognition artificial intelligence linked into eBird to tag photos with the birds names, focus on eyes and to recognise and locate bird calls and name them. Ditto for animal recognition AI.
Switchable between OVF and EVF to choose between liveview and proper view.
Packaged with a kit ultra-lightweight DO 100-600mm zoom.
Seriously, just a move in that direction to show Canon hasn't forgotten us.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0