Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
CFExpress is almost a bigger thing for me. Being able to unload cards that have 1700MBps read speeds and faster. And also having one format to invest in that has a future. IBIS might give my old 300mm f/2.8 non-is some new lif, a last hurrah for my first l lens that is pushing on 30 now. The video stuff I am sure some will find interesting but really that market is well served by the c line.

I can attest that the IBIS on Nikon Z6 really made old lenses work. From a Questar 700 mirror lens to a pre VR 400 f2.8 I could handhold even over 12 pounds to vintage manual lenses.
One caution is that it needs to know the focal length and vintage zooms won’t stabilize well as one zooms away from a selected FL.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I've been getting quite a lot of great feedback concerning the upgrade path from the 5D3 to the R lately. I have yet to make the move and have gotten close a few times. But and yes, it's a nice big fat but. The ergonomics don't do it for me. I visited a very nice shop yesterday and they allowed me to play with one and a few lenses, both EF and RF to my hearts content.
It was just too small! It's really not that much bigger than an M5 and although the grip is large enough in relation to the rest of the body, it's a not a large handed persons camera, imho.

I don't mind the lack of IBIS, how many card slots, evf lag (although much better than any I have used-Oly and M5) and all that. I do like the image quality I saw on the review, I like the touch and drag and I liked the same same battery as what I use and own.

I'm not hung up on lens vs body sizes just how my mitts grip the camera itself while imagining having a handstrap attached. I won't shoot any other way.

I have the 5D3 for a few years and bought the R last April.

Although the 5D3 feels more balance in my hand, the R feels comfortable as comfortable as the 5D3 with a handstrap. I like the size and weight of the R when travelling and hiking.

Upvote 0
I thought, perfect! All the hate should bring downthe price. But really, there is no way we’re getting 12fps with first launch of IBIS on an enthusiast FF camera. There will 2 card slots or else’s every other feature is wrong in this list.

Why not? The M6II is far cheaper and it has 14 fps. Not to mention that the A7III does 10 fps and has IBIS. I am assuming that canon realizes that in order to take back the crown they will have to come to market with something that competes with the A7III. So it seems to me that at least 10 fps would make some sense.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I bet SDE will go mainstream in a couple of years, but as there aren't any SDE products (cards, readers, etc) on the market yet, I think it's a little early to say SD is already being replaced with SDE.

SDE is the replacement in the works, I didn't say it had come to be yet. Basically they have to shrink down CFE. Essentially we are moving to PCIe across the board, even TB is a glorified external PCIe. This isn't too surprising for memory cards as CF is just a IDE drive and CFast is a Sata drive. On the big plus side, all these super fast CF cards have been fantastic replacements for my vintage computers disk drives and as the standard dies, more flood the 2nd market.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I've been getting quite a lot of great feedback concerning the upgrade path from the 5D3 to the R lately. I have yet to make the move and have gotten close a few times. But and yes, it's a nice big fat but. The ergonomics don't do it for me. I visited a very nice shop yesterday and they allowed me to play with one and a few lenses, both EF and RF to my hearts content.
It was just too small! It's really not that much bigger than an M5 and although the grip is large enough in relation to the rest of the body, it's a not a large handed persons camera, imho.

I don't mind the lack of IBIS, how many card slots, evf lag (although much better than any I have used-Oly and M5) and all that. I do like the image quality I saw on the review, I like the touch and drag and I liked the same same battery as what I use and own.

I'm not hung up on lens vs body sizes just how my mitts grip the camera itself while imagining having a handstrap attached. I won't shoot any other way.

So I wait. But, I get some of you like it, it's a very nice camera.
Consider trying it with the grip. I found the 5D Mark ii I have and 7d to be far too small in the hands and put a grip on them which all but solved the issues.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Except that their whole selection of Canon lenses work perfectly on the R system, so there is no pressure or rush to switch mounts. Many may buy new RP lenses to replace aging EF lenses in their kits, but that's a slow, gradual transition.

I can only agree. I tried all my EF lenses (also Sigma and Tamron, not only Canon) on my EOS R when I had it for one month - all of them worked PERFECTLY with the adapter. Its not like using any adapter on a sony (Which works quite okay btw) or on a Panasonic (which works very bad). Its 99,9% like having a native lense.
Actualy I think there is a HUGE advantage for filmmakers in that adatper: the optional Drop-in-ND filter is an excellent tool. Its so much better to not using ND-Filters on the front of the lense. No more worrys about filter sizes or step-up rings or even flares. Its just super convenient.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Should I cancel my 1DX3 pre-order ?

With the retailers offering 30-60 days to return (they pay shipping both ways) it if not satisfied, why on earth would you cancel a pre-order of something you have a good chance of wanting by the time it is shipping (possibly with better info on the alternatives)?

I sometimes wonder why I pay $300 per year for platinum CPS plus return shipping of each item, when I could just buy from Adorama or B&H and send back the ones I don't want to keep?

Even if you're nearly certain you don't want it, keeping the order in place until closer to the ship date also reserves your place in line in case your interest increases.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Consider trying it with the grip. I found the 5D Mark ii I have and 7d to be far too small in the hands and put a grip on them which all but solved the issues.
I need an L plate and with the grip AND the plate it's just too much, plus the balance and wobble would be atrocious.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Upvote 0