Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.
"Now is the winter of our discontent." Richard III, Shakespeare.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
You are correct. The Rs could be a sports shooter, IF they make it fast enough (at least 10 FPS). If it’s only 5FPS it will only be a 5DS/5DSR replacement.

And yes, an upgrade to the 5D4 market will have better low light performance...higher resolution is not needed.

I wouldn't mind 5 FPS IF the EVF refreshes fast enough.

Upvote 0
Canon and other company’s are not dumb. They know more than most of us. They try to deliver a product that meets most of the needs. If you get only one slot it’s because they know something you don’t. Writing data and cards are so good now that company’s are taking that into consideration to give all of you who complain about everything all that you can want and dream of in a small little package.
I think you're missing one important detail here. It's our money we spend on Canon's gear. We're simply *not* getting a new camera if it doesn't fit the requirements, whatever the requirements are.
Personally I don't care what Canon knows about the market and customer demands on average. I don't care about it at all when buying a new camera.
If they offer a great camera stuffed with goodies bit without a second card slot, *and* it's important to me, I'm simply not buying it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think it's clear Canon wants to go that direction, but I wonder if they're ready to bet all their current 5DIV users will jump to mirrorless for the right camera. Maybe, but either way I just can't see them not refreshing that niche for longer than 4.5 years, whether by 5DV or EOS R equivalent. The 5D IV is still a great camera and frankly in a pinch I'd be comfortable hanging on to it until the next generation if the next version doesn't suit my need. Or maybe Canon's vision is that the high-resolution R will occupy that niche from now on, and the lower resolution equivalent will move down market to sit closer to where the R does now, though I'm sure that would be well received by all /s. I guess we'll know one way or another soon enough!
Well, from the users' point of view, the best solution would be for Canon to make both the 5DV DSLR and the 5D mirrorless and let us pick the one we want. That may well be the way it works out, especially if the new sensor/processor package is a big jump from the 5DIV.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
"An EOS 5D Mark IV equivalent body could also be a possibility "
-> I think the EOS R was already 95% a 4D IV equivalent, wasn it? The missing second card slot made it a bit unusable for some wedding-photographers, but beside this it shared pretty much all the internal specs with the 5D IV? (While offering a more efficient video codec. Which didnt matter though because of the unaccaptable rolling shutter)

Upvote 0
As someone who mostly shoots landscapes and some wildlife, I would comment that the desire for a 5DSR replacement is as good or better resolution (50 mp today going up to something higher) but as importantly better DR, noise control, etc. The only reason I like the two card slots is I can buy cheaper cards and not have to swap them in the field. I don't shoot to two cards (maybe I am crazy).

My landscape trips sometimes take a lot of time and long driving, sometimes take a big deal of effort to organise, and fuel alone may cost more than an SD card. On the location there may be unique conditions that I'd never see again.

I simply can't afford to save on my media storage, use cheap cards or not use the second slot.

Upvote 0
Oh I am a pretty active camera club member, it's how I get to play with all the latest gear (only enthusiasts can justify most of it), I have recovered many corrupted cards from members and I have never failed to recover 'lost' images from corrupted, formatted, etc etc cards.

I use PhotoRec, it is free and as powerful as it gets, it takes a few minutes, an hour at most. I have never had an in use/camera card that has been corrupted to the point that recovery is impossible, I have seen cards so badly damaged from external causes that internal connections are damaged but that really is beyond almost any 'normal' use.

If I told my employer to rely on recovery rather than backup I'd be out of a job. Sorry, but recovery is not in any way shape or form a valid alternative to backups. Thence, dual card slots for any paid work I do is mandatory because I'm not going to chance recovery, I know exactly over long and ugly experience just how that can go wrong.

And backups are not valid unless they are tested.

----

I can only hope this "sports/speed" camera is a real, genuine replacement to the 7D mk II.

• Haha
Upvote 0
That depends on the subject.

You picked two very similar lenses thus minimizing the importance.

You picked two very similar cameras, thus minimizing the importance.

I know what you are saying, but if you take most modern camera bodies. Last 5 to 10 years, the differences are really just splitting hairs. Compare any of them to the best of 50 years ago and you have to admit we live in great times. Think of it this way, if we rate cameras on a scale of 1-100
Does it fit the R?

I misunderstood. I didn't know you meant both. I think the R is getting the 70-400

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If I told my employer to rely on recovery rather than backup I'd be out of a job. Sorry, but recovery is not in any way shape or form a valid alternative to backups. Thence, dual card slots for any paid work I do is mandatory because I'm not going to chance recovery, I know exactly over long and ugly experience just how that can go wrong.

And backups are not valid unless they are tested.

----

I can only hope this "sports/speed" camera is a real, genuine replacement to the 7D mk II.
Don’t be sorry, get a life and maintain context. The logical extension of your comment is that no person ever shooting any kind of meaningful images should ever use a single card slot camera, that is ridiculous, it has no historical basis, it isn’t true of many other cameras, video and stills that have one card slot (Hasselblad, Arri, etc etc) and was never an issue taken seriously when we shot film. Talking of which, I lost many film images due to faulty processing.

Now having a robust redundancy and backup protocol post capture is something that falls into best practise techniques, insisting dual capture is the only way a pro could work is farcical. To conflate the two is disingenuous at best.

Upvote 0
Any DSLR or mirrorless camera made within the last 5 years can do any of those things. I'm not saying the body is unimportant, but people definitely place too much emphasis on it.
And a good jockey can win a race on a pony. I'm not saying the horse is unimportant, but people put to much emphasis on it... :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.

Every photographer? Nobody?

If someone gave me a Sony, I'd sell it. If Canon drops an R-series mirrorless instead of a 5DV, I'd still prefer a 5DII over it.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Don’t be sorry, get a life and maintain context. The logical extension of your comment is that no person ever shooting any kind of meaningful images should ever use a single card slot camera, that is ridiculous, it has no historical basis, it isn’t true of many other cameras, video and stills that have one card slot (Hasselblad, Arri, etc etc) and was never an issue taken seriously when we shot film. Talking of which, I lost many film images due to faulty processing.

Now having a robust redundancy and backup protocol post capture is something that falls into best practise techniques, insisting dual capture is the only way a pro could work is farcical. To conflate the two is disingenuous at best.

How does post-capture backup fix a problem with a card? I tried to backup the card I had that failed while still at the event, and the backup failed because the card failed.

Post-capture backup only works against post-capture problems. It doesn't help if the card fails while you are shooting, which is exactly what happened to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
One thing that rarely gets spoken about is the reliability factor of Canon hardware. There is a good reason they have a longer model refresh period than Sony and Fuji. My first Canon digital body was a 5D and I have owned several of their FF and APS-C bodies over time and the only failure I have ever had was a short circuit caused by a bent pin in the CF card slot of the 5D. I bought a A$10K Leica M10 early last year and it completely failed and has been in the Leica workshop in Wetzlar since December. All cameras can fail but some brands seem more prone than others. And then you have to deal with their after sales "service".

Upvote 0
Don’t be sorry, get a life and maintain context.

Recovery is not an alternative to backups - That's the context here. Just like in the IT field, RAID is not a backup

insisting dual capture is the only way a pro could work is farcical. To conflate the two is disingenuous at best.

The issue here is that the people who want dual cards have a very solid reasoning for doing so. Stating recovery can be done is not an answer to that

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
One thing that rarely gets spoken about is the reliability factor of Canon hardware. There is a good reason they have a longer model refresh period than Sony and Fuji. My first Canon digital body was a 5D and I have owned several of their FF and APS-C bodies over time and the only failure I have ever had was a short circuit caused by a bent pin in the CF card slot of the 5D. I bought a A$10K Leica M10 early last year and it completely failed and has been in the Leica workshop in Wetzlar since December. All cameras can fail but some brands seem more prone than others. And then you have to deal with their after sales "service".
We actually bring it up quite a bit. Along with stellar service, ergonomics and the best menu systems. But unfortunately, it gets overlooked by threads on DR, card slots, IBIS, market share, G.A.S., keeping up with brand X, EVF's and file sizes.

Interesting factoid btw, the RP name has been used before...

Upvote 0