This is just a Sunday reminder of the Canon EOS R5 specifications

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
All valid points except Blackmagic is known for their color science. It's fantastic, as is their BRAW codec.

I haven't kept up with the findings on their color science I did not know it was that good; but I definitely like their BRAW codec. I did not take color science that seriously until I started shooting with the GH5. Great camera, packed with features, but so difficult to color grade.

Another issue I have heard about Blackmagic cameras is they aren't that great in low light. Personally I think if you learn your camera, the log curve you are shooting with, and the color space you are shooting in, and expose properly for those factors you can properly handle noise in post and that applies to any camera.

A final issue is that Blackmagic is truly a video body, any body Canon releases that is not a part of the cinema line will be excellent at photography as well, so IMO the only thing Canon really needs to beat is Canon.

Upvote 0
Its become a standard feature for the higher end DSLR's, the EOS R has it, and certainly the R5 would.

A question as to it being used to boost DR has been asked, it seems unlikely this time around.
My Spokane so you think the DR will be the same as the almost 5 year old 5Dm4? I’m not trying to get the DR issue going just wanted to know if there might be some improvement for wildlife dawn and dusk. If the MP go up with no loss of DR I suppose in a way that is an improvement.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
My Spokane so you think the DR will be the same as the almost 5 year old 5Dm4?
What level of improvement are you expecting? Modern sensors are basically as good as it gets for now.

Using the two different exposures from the DPRAW for improved DR can cause artifacts in partially blown out areas, so I doubt we'll ever* see an official Canon version. As far as I understand, there are improvements in high ISO DR to be had using multiple amplifiers, but we haven't seen this in the 1DX III. So I doubt we'll see anything like that in the R5.

*on second thought, they definitely can work around this so in time, or one resolutions become great enough anyway, this may change.

No banding even in extreme boosts (~5 stops and beyond) and finer detail (Higher resolution, fine low pass filter) are the improvements I'd expect over the R / 5D IV. DR, especially at base ISo, not so much.

Upvote 0
I disagree. The rate will be 500MB/s at 12 bit RAW. R5 has different resolutions and frame rates, but they will likely be similar to what we see in the 1Dx Mark III. 470Mbps for 4K 30p 422 10 hit H265. And between 1.8 and 2.2 Gbps for 8K 30 fps 422 10 bit H265.

Regarding 8K raw. Uncompressed 8K RAW 12bit at 30fps will eat up 12.7 Gbps or 1.59 GB/s. Given that CFexpress cards vary in write speed from 600MB/s for 64GB cards to 1400MB/s for 512GB cards, that is a no go. The RAW has to be compress to some degree. Cinema RAW light has an compression of 3.15:1. Same compression ratio that 1Dx, c200, c300m3 and c500m2 uses. That would make 8K RAW from the R5 to be 4.0 Gbps or 505MB/s. This just fits on any CFexpress card of any size, just.
I still don't know why there are no SSD interfaces. Maybe the R5 will have one.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What level of improvement are you expecting? Modern sensors are basically as good as it gets for now.

Using the two different exposures from the DPRAW for improved DR can cause artifacts in partially blown out areas, so I doubt we'll ever* see an official Canon version. As far as I understand, there are improvements in high ISO DR to be had using multiple amplifiers, but we haven't seen this in the 1DX III. So I doubt we'll see anything like that in the R5.

*on second thought, they definitely can work around this so in time, or one resolutions become great enough anyway, this may change.

No banding even in extreme boosts (~5 stops and beyond) and finer detail (Higher resolution, fine low pass filter) are the improvements I'd expect over the R / 5D IV. DR, especially at base ISo, not so much.

“The official Canon version“ is DGO. Available commercially right now:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=34631

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still don't know why there are no SSD interfaces. Maybe the R5 will have one.
I don't expect it to. Canon has been know to make cameras that are built like tanks. Relying an a USB cable to an external SSD for extended storage does not sound reliable, or weather proof. I use an external SSD on my Blackmagic cameras, but they are also not know for their ruggedness like Canon is.
Also, internally CFExpress is essensially a NVME SSD in a portable form, running on a PCIe 3.0 x2 bus. So much faster and scalable interface than CFast that was essensially an SATA 6Gbps SSD interface at base.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
“The official Canon version“ is DGO. Available commercially right now:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=34631
Very interesting, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I am not sure if that relates directly to creating a HDR image from the two sub pixels in a Dual Pixel CMOS though. From reading into it, I get the impression that it is a system like what Arri has been using?

"The DGO Sensor is a newly developed imaging system that generates high dynamic range and maintains low noise levels by reading out each photodiode with two different gains. It combines the two with saturation prioritizing gain for bright areas, and a lower noise prioritizing gain for darker areas."

Source: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...a-eos/eos-c300-mark-iii-digital-cinema-camera

So each photodiode is amplified with two different gains according to this marketing info. But a Dual Pixel Cmos has two diodes for each pixel. If they specifically use different amplification for both the left and right diode of each pixel, why wouldn't they say so? They could have written that the two halves are amplified differently and combines in a special manner. From that text, it appears as if this is not about the two halves.

However in this lab test by Cinema5d it is shown that the rolling shutter is cut in less than half when DGO is turned off at the higher frame rates. To me that suggests that the two sub pixels do play a role in DGO, and when the feature is disabled they are combined as usual.

I'm not sure if they have worked around the parallax issues somehow and are using a modified version of DP CMOS here, or if they have taken a page out of ARRIs handbook.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Hi, is it the Canon June announcement set for tomorrow, June 3? Or I am just confused?
They Keep pushing it back, July at the moment - come on Canon - release this already, we want all other body prices to start dropping.
I don't know how long pro photographer in lockdown will have cash anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I agree that any improvements in base ISO DR will be so minor that you'll need to work to see the difference, but the 1DXIII did see some improvement in DR at base ISO and is now ahead of the a9II by the slimmest of margins. There was a CR1 rumour here a few months ago (for what that's worth) that suggested that the new sensor design would be putting a lot of emphasis on dynamic range, and considering that we saw an improvement in the 1DXIII, I wouldn't rule out an improvement to base ISO DR for the R5. Whether or not that matters to most people's photography is an entirely different discussion which has been beaten to death here, but I don't think an improvement is impossible, or even unlikely.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
According to the Swedish Canon Website (https://www.canon.se/cameras/eos-r5/) it has an advanced tracking-AF that can track the body, face or eye of dogs, cats and birds.

I assume it can do the same for humans ;)

Now wouldn't that be just like Canon to leave out humans...
I've heard stories to that effect from friends who worked fairly high up the management ladder at a now defunct brick & mortar photo store chain that was an authorized Canon dealer. But it's more than one lonely guy. The products are not usually shipped from Japan to the Canon regional distributors in retail packaging, so they have to be repacked by workers at the Canon USA, Canon Europe, etc. distribution centers anyway. They're shipped in much more protective cases that hold many multiples of a product. Think rock band road cases meet Pelican foam inserts meet plastic collapsible produce shipping crates. Not only are they more protective, but the overall total weight and cubic size is less than the same number of bodies or lenses would be in retail packaging. Included accessories, batteries, warranty cards, user manuals, etc. aren't shipped from the factory in Japan, either. They're shipped from wherever they are sourced directly to the regional centers and added when the primary products (camera, lens, flash, etc.) are packaged for retail there.

Thank you very much for that useful and quite logical description of how things are probably done.

So perhaps part of the problem is that in this time of pandemic with 'social distancing' and limitations on the number of people on a given space, there really is only one person doing all the work...

When we get our cameras, that "Inspected by 42" stick may really mean the same person for all of them.

Upvote 0