Search results

1. Josh Leavitt

Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

I'm very impressed with Canon's aggressive pricing on the RP. But the EOS R lineup needs some serious work put in towards increasing the tracking-priority fps. The RP is shown as having 4fps with tracking-priority, and the R has 3fps (strange that the higher-end model would have less). I don't...
  2. Josh Leavitt

Canon to announce an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS (Defocus Smoothing)

I was thinking along the same lines. The APD elements really create impressive results for out-of-focus areas. But I also hear they suffer a steep light transmission penalty; somewhere between 2/3 to 1.5 stops. Not that it really matters with a 1.2 lens, though.
  3. Josh Leavitt

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

There's no doubt that the EOS M cameras would be a much more practical choice (and in all reality far wiser choice) for an average consumer. It really all comes down to the in-store marketing promotions and how effectively Canon would communicate the advantages of their full-frame system over...
  4. Josh Leavitt

Maybe not. None of the Sony full-frames feature a top-plate LCD. All critical exposure data can be displayed in the EVF anyway. But it would have been nice to include an OLED top-plate screen like the one on the EOS R.
  5. Josh Leavitt

Whether the RP retails for $1299 or $1599, I think Canon might try to position this camera on the shelves of popular department stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and so on; all of this in attempt capture the market of casual consumers who aren't photography professionals. It has the...
  6. Josh Leavitt

Canon to announce at least 6 new RF lenses next week

That stood out to me as well. The 70-200L glass on EF forewent a telescoping barrel. I'm not sure how they can make a 2.8 telephoto zoom that short without a telescoping barrel, even on a mirrorless system.
  7. Josh Leavitt

Canon to announce at least 6 new RF lenses next week

That 24-240 f/4-6.3 IS USM is the lens I was waiting for. It looks like it's going to be a top seller for the EOS R and EOS RP cameras. I'm a little surprised Canon didn't launch the EOS R with this lens, but x10 optical zoom full-frame glass is no easy feat to make, so maybe it got hit with...
  8. Josh Leavitt

Patent: Canon Back Side Illuminated (BSI) DPAF image sensor

IEEE is probably the best resource for looking into differences between CMOS architecture for active pixel sensors. This whitepaper in particular is a brief overview of differences in fill-factor and peak QE between FSI and BSI designs (but there are plenty more)...
  9. Josh Leavitt

Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM coming in 2019? [CR1]

Well, the RF mount desperately needs some not-so-fast, relatively affordable primes. But I was hoping the next 50mm f/1.8 IS would be for the EF-M. Canon did an amazing job with the 32mm f/1.4 - it seems like the only gap in the EOS M prime lineup is now a decent portrait lens.
  10. Josh Leavitt

Yes, gapless microlenses have helped improve the sensitivity of photodiodes, but the big benefit of BSI is the removal of the transistors from the surface area. That way you maximize the area and volume of the light sensitive region of the photodiode. It provides a bit of a boost to full-well...
  11. Josh Leavitt

Finally! I was hoping Canon would eventually start looking long and hard at backside illuminated designs. And I'm quite happy they're designing it around DPAF sensor architecture. This will have a huge benefit for low-light performance on high MP sensors.
  12. Josh Leavitt

Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

This would make sense if it's referring to a high resolution EOS R camera. I anticipate the EOS R replacement for the 5DS will debut in Q4 of 2019. Meanwhile, the entry-level EOS RP (or whatever they call it) will hit the shelves shortly after CP+ in February. I'm almost certain the second card...
  13. Josh Leavitt

Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

I'd like to see an entry-level EOS R take the form of a larger EOS M6. Save some money by dropping the EVF and just use a decent resolution touchscreen LCD; an EVF can always be added as a hot shoe attachment if desired. I think the smaller rangefinder style body and grip will sit quite well...
  14. Josh Leavitt

Patent: Canon 500mm f/4 DO IS and Canon 600mm f/4 DO IS

I'd like them to take a stab at making a high-quality x10 zoom DO lens. To my mind, the EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L IS USM stands to benefit the most from the size and weight reduction of the DO technology. If they designed a new version of this lens as an RF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L IS USM and replaced the...
  15. Josh Leavitt

IBIS and 100mp coming to an EOS R camera? [CR2]

"I don’t think we’ll see such a camera until 2020, as I believe there need to be some more native RF lenses announced to handle landscape and studio shooters." I'd expect a 4Q 2019 release so it can attempt to compete with the GFX-100s (in resolution at least). But I don't think the hold up for...
  16. Josh Leavitt

Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

8k video in the near future won't be a surprise. And it won't be due to a revolution in sensor architecture, but rather an evolution to video codecs. The new H.265 and MPEG-H formats are delivering identical quality to that of H.264 and MPEG-4 at half the bit rate. So 8k@30fps, 4k@120fps, and...
  17. Josh Leavitt

Canon announces the VIXIA HF G50 4K UHD Video Camcorder

Bingo! The GX10 looks like the machine that can appeal to advanced amateur filmmakers with built-in ND filters and the larger sensor. I'm still a little disappointed it lacks C-Log though. Color grading and post-production is half the fun of video work, and for spending $1,000+ on an enthusiast...
  18. Josh Leavitt

No servozooms for consumer-grade EF-M or EF, but plenty of cheap lenses that achieve greater reach than 600mm equivalent and offer faster and smoother zooming with inexpensive lens ring attachments. Let's not forget that the M50 has the standard x1.6 crop in addition to the x1.7 crop for 4k...
  19. Josh Leavitt

Well the M50 has decent ergonomics for a mirrorless camera, nearly all it's zoom lenses have 4 stops of OIS correction (plus electronic sensor stabilization for movies), and recording times won't usually be an issue with a high capacity SD card and a 30 minute recording limit. But yes, the M50...
  20. Josh Leavitt

"The camcorder is the first VIXIA G-series camcorder to feature 4K 30P recording and is an ideal tool for advanced amateur filmmakers, wedding videographers and student reporters." I would think that those three target demographics would expect an "ideal tool" for videography to include the...