Search results

1. K

New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

Hopefully, the autofocus on the EF100-400 L II is improved. It worked beautifully with my 6D, but often hunts and completely misses with my R.
  2. K

The benefits of the large diameter of the EOS R’s RF mount explained

This explains why the RF 50mm f1.2 does not have as large a diameter front element as I would have expected.
  3. K

Patent: Canon RF 14-21mm f/1.4L, yes…. f/1.4

I love that Canon is really pushing the frontier with RF lens design, however, when I use ultra-wide angle, it's mainly for landscapes where I want all the depth of field I can get .... typically at least f5.6. I would be perfectly happy with a f2.8 BUT with outstanding optics (resolution...
  4. K

Canon Financials for Q3 2018. Sales down, outlook good.

"our sales declined by 22.4% in the third quarter." Precisely as I predicted several months ago due to Sony's lead in mirrorless cameras. I believe, however, that will change significantly over the next two quarters as Canon releases or announces more cameras and lenses in the R series. I've...
  5. K

A Delicious thought re. non-Canon RF-lenses

I have pre-ordered the Canon EOS R. Recently, some lens manufacturers, such as Sigma, have been releasing lenses in the EF mount that have impressive optical performance. Mostly, however, they are trying to get their foot in the door (so to speak) since Canon already has multiple lenses for each...
  6. K

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

Complaining about the size of fast lenses is like complaining about the laws of physics that govern space-time, matter, and energy. If one wants a fast lens that does not have any significant vignetting, then physics says you will need a large diameter glass opening to gulp all that light. If...
  7. K

Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

I'm a bit mystified by some of the comments here. I don't think anyone would dispute that the 6D II is a better camera than the 6D, so why don't we just lay that to rest. The only reason I did not upgrade from my 6D to a 6DII was the lack of 4K. It sounds like the 6D II gives impressive...
  8. K

Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

This is great news. Although I am first and foremost a Canon guy, I've been making videos with a Sony a6500 and a Canon 35mm f1.4L II lens with Sigma MC-11 adapter ... useless for autofocus during shooting, so I can't move around unless I go for a lot of depth of field, which is a bit of a...
  9. K

Canon's Full Frame Mirorrless Cameras [CR2]

Disappointed that Canon is not going to try to compete with Sony's high DR sensors. As a landscape photographer who needs HDR, this news is a bit of a blow.
  10. K

Patent: Optical Formula for New EF 24-70mm f/2.8L

If that 16-35 f2.8L is as good optically as the Mark III, but has IS, I'll be getting one. I presently use Canon's 16-35 f4L IS.
  11. K

Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Four shreds of evidence: First, a local video studio that has around 12 full time staff, and was once completely Canon DSLR for shooting their videos, has completely abandoned Canon for Sony as of this year. In talking with their director, all the other pro studios he knows of are going over to...
  12. K

Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

If a new 7D has higher DR, 4k and excellent auto focus in video mode, I'll probably be buying. Just talked with a friend of mine who runs a video studio that employs about 12 full time staff. They used to do all their videoing with Canon, but he told me they've completely abandoned Canon and are...
  13. K

The World's Largest Ultrahigh-Sensitivity CMOS Image Sensor

Yeah. It is just more of the same-nothing new.
  14. K

Updated EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II on the Horizon? [CR1]

I think an update is needed but not only is IS required, but I'm not very impressed with the resolution and contrast of the lens in the edges and corners of the current lens. I'd like to see its optics upgraded.
  15. K

Patent: Optical Formula for an EF 800mm f/5.6L IS II

I am glad to see this (honestly), even if I will never have the kind of cash to acquire one. At the same time, I very much wish I could see an significantly improved 14mm L-series lens and IS added to the excellent 16-35mm f2.8L.
  16. K

Canon Announces the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II

Improved coatings can increase contrast or "rendering"(as Dustin Abbot puts it) which can make a photograph "pop". That type of upgrade is more important to me than a minuscule increase in resolution at certain focal lengths in the zoom range (albeit both is even better). I can see that Canon...
  17. K

Ended: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $2099 (Reg $3699)

Re: Deal: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $2099 (Reg $3699) This sure looks like a pretty obvious sign they are clearing out this model to prepare the way for a Mk II.
  18. K

Nikon Confirms New Mirrorless System Coming in Early 2019, What About Canon?

We don't need no buildup of anticipation or teasers. We've been waiting so long we are straining at the ends of our logging chains, gory-eyed, spittle flying from our fangs, howling-stark-raving crazy for the Canon FF mirrorless. No need to build anticipation here.
  19. K

Canon Releases 2018 Q1 Financial Results

Your failure to point to a Canon full frame mirrorless camera is affirmation of how Canon has fallen behind Sony in that category. Furthermore, Canon sales dropped by 2% last year and another 1.2% in this first quarter. In the same time period, Sony sales increased by 11%. Sony is now the #2...