Search results

1. D

Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

I literally just posted, in this thread, comparisons showing rough parity between 5D IV, 5Ds, 1DX II, A7 gen 3's, and A7S2. I should have included the 6D2 (off sensor ADC) and the A72 (on sensor ADC) because the 6D2 is notably better than the A72 while a bit behind the A73. Neither ADC...
  2. D

Yes. I think their next high resolution sensor will use the 5D IV pixel architecture if not something newer. Oh, I can almost guarantee you they're trying. But their "trying" involves getting passed some engineering or fabrication hurdle they're facing. I imagine a mirrorless 5Ds/sr...
  3. D

In practice you almost never see the effect with a mechanical shutter.
  4. D

Ouch. I did not know that. So you get 5 fps or maybe 12/15/20 but with potential rolling shutter effects. Meh.
  5. D

I agree. But you just know that there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth about dynamic range and high ISO if Canon reused an old sensor again. Even though the 5Ds sensor is already excellent at high ISO (and there's not much left to physically gain there), and not bad at all at 4ev of shadow...
  6. D

Differences are slight. Another factor to consider is that the DSLR sensors are simply cooler as they're not being used in LiveView.
  7. D

Dynamic range comparison between the EOS RP, EOS 6D Mark II and EOS R

What's covered by the vignette would have to be a fairly dark shadow before any vignetting to give you any trouble.
  8. D

IF the vignetting covers deep shadows and IF you want to correct them. IF there are deep shadows in the scene. We're talking about pushing stuff that would appear to be Zone 0 or 1 before the push in a correct exposure. If your scene doesn't have any of that then you have more room to move...
  9. D

R handled a +5ev push fairly well (as expected). RP did not (as expected). Fro will slap you across the face if your exposure is off by -5ev (unexpected). I don't have a fro but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Having played with 5D4 and 6D2 RAWs I would say that with a little post work you can push...
  10. D

They're about the same at the same view size across all ISOs. The 5D IV "only" goes to 102,400 but they're both useless by that point. The two ISOs above that are gimmicks on the 1DX II and any consumer ILC which offers them. The 5Ds has a bit more noise but renders more detail, so after PP...
  11. D

The 7D niche is sports and wildlife, so they're not pulling back from that. That said: * Make whatever mods are necessary to the 80D sensor to offer 4k with DPAF even if it's cropped. * Drop that sensor in the 7D mk II body. 24mp with improved DR and high ISO. * Make the RAW buffer 2-3x...
  12. D

1) Contrary to common belief, megapixels do not adversely affect high ISO performance for stills. It only seems that way because people pixel peep. 2) More importantly: there aren't any great gains left to be made in high ISO performance. All the shipping FF sensors are very close to each...
  13. D

Home for the 6D Mark II Debate

* People obsess over "sensor quality", DxO scores, and other such nonsense thinking that tech and not skill will be the difference between amateur and professional images. * At this point in sensor development there are few situations which can separate one sensor from another of the same...
  14. D

Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

What do marking courses say about... 1: Not having ANY segment to serve a large percentage of customers. 2: Trying to segment on features that the competition throws in. :confused:
  15. D

LOL! Aren't my posts long enough without diving into the engineering issues with sensor fabrication? :ROFLMAO: I don't mean to make light of it. I'm sure Canon has been working on it and yet we are still probably a year off from a next gen architecture that can handle the required readout and...
  16. D

They really don't trail behind on ISO. FF sensors are almost all within a fraction of a stop of each other, and there are examples of Canon models being better than Sony models. To give an example, the 'old and busted' 6D2 sensor is much better at high ISO than the 'new hotness' A72 sensor, and...
  17. D

Their ISO is competitive across the board, and their DR is competitive on models with on-chip ADCs such as the 5D IV. Those aren't readout speed issues. But video relies on fast, power/thermal efficient readout. Agreed. They should fix this in firmware.
  18. D

They have a silicon problem. If it was just accountants I don't think they would disable DPAF in 4k on the RP. For that matter I don't think the 5D IV would have shipped with cropped 4k, and they would be doing oversampled 1080p in that body. I don't know who made the idiotic decision not to...
  19. D

Quite obviously because the competition is providing cameras that can do both well. And EF glass owners want that to. I'm not sure what you think those licenses might be, but Canon would already be paying them to put in the crippled video we've got.
  20. D

This is what's happening with me. I would really like a FF backup to my 5Ds that can handle video. I've passed on the R and now the RP. I really don't like the idea of dealing with Sony's UI or non-native lens adapters, plus Sony bodies are useless in poor weather. But when is Canon going to...