Search results

1. A

Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L & RF 85mm f/1.2L in the works [CR1]

These are seriously pro lenses. It sounds like there will be another shower of lower-spec/price lenses when they start talking about APS-C cameras with the R mount. Or, they could even switch to only producing full-frame lenses, even for a crop sensor. Go Canon! This looks like it will be an...
  2. A

Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

The M50 was supposed to be a lower spec than the M5, but in many ways it beats it. Things are moving so fast that the next FF "lower than EOS R" may, in fact be a better camera, at least in some respects. It's great to know that Canon is putting a lot of effort into product development now after...
  3. A

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

Canon has to remember that with mirrorless it is now competing not only with other manufacturers but also with its own DSLR products. I just hope that its loyal customers are not pushed into something inferior just to get rid of a mirror. The new stuff has to be better than the equivalent DSLR...
  4. A

Announcements Coming The First Week of September [CR2]

I don't get mirrorless. I almost understand MFT where the lenses are smaller too but a 24-70 F2.8 is a big chunk of lens and a FF DSLR looks and feels right on it. Some of these mirrorless jobs look like someone just stuck a cigarette packet on the back of a big-ass lens. I'm a bird photographer...
  5. A

A New 50mm Lens is Being Tested in the Wild [CR2]

A new 50/1.4 that is sharp wide open would be really nice....
  6. A

Another EOS 7D Mark III Wishlist Makes the Rounds, Along With Some Opinion [CR0]

I feel that Canon's objective is simple. The Nikon D500 has a slight advantage in performance over the 7D2. Canon needs the 7D3 to be better, in every way, than the D500, but not by much. If they can't do that, then eventually the D500 replacement will blow Canon's crop cameras off the map. It...
  7. A

I doubt this is even [CR1] but I guess it starts somewhere - 7D3 specs?

I have my own empirical facts. I have a 7D2 and a 5D4. There are less "pixels per bird" from the 5D4 but the 7d2 hardly sees any use now. The improved dynamic range and noise performance of the 5D4 wins every time.
  8. A

I doubt this is even [CR1] but I guess it starts somewhere - 7D3 specs?

Personally i would be very happy to see a 7D3 with a lower megapixel count. Shock! Horror! I don't want more. I want the sensor to have much lower noise, higher ISO capability and better dynamic range. It's never the number of pixels that matters - its the quality of those pixels. I want to take...
  9. A

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Eye in the sky!
  10. A

Review: Canon EOS M5 by DPReview

Good point, well made. So the M system is really no worse than pro standard FF gear. Hmmm. Maybe I will buy an M3 then....
  11. A

Nope - that was not my point. What I was trying to say is that Canon have failed in what should be an easier technical challenge. Surely it should be easier to avoid vignetting on APS-C?
  12. A

Hmmm. I hadn't previously heard of the 16-35 problem - but that's on FF and the EOS-M is only APS-C.
  13. A

The in camera compensation boosts the corner brightness. That will increase noise in the corners. Maybe Canon realise that there's a problem and that's the reason why they haven't released many EF-M lenses?
  14. A

My concern is vignetting. Photozone have reviewed three EOS-M lenses and all exhibit serious vignetting at the shorter focal lengths. For example, it was -2.9 stops difference centre-to-edge on the 11-22 EF-M at 11mm. Compare that to their review of the 10-22mm EF-S at 10mm on an APS-C sensor...
  15. A

Show your Bird Portraits

Hi guys, I've never posted here before but I'd just like to show you my Kingfisher effort (7D2, 500mm F4 L, Sigma 1.4X). I was amazed with the way I could extract something from the darkness from the 7D2 raw file. It was taken on a dismal day at ISO400. I've attached a "before" shot too for...
  16. A

Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

A 7D3 would be nice, admitting that the 7D2 wasn't what people actually wanted. It should be pretty much like the 7D2 but with fewer (16meg?) low-noise pixels.