Search results

1. MrFotoFool

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM

Tonight's sunset at Gates Pass Overlook in Tucson Mountain Park (Arizona, USA). 5D4 with lens zoomed to 115mm. ISO 640, f5, 1/800 second, timer at 2 second delay on tripod.
  2. MrFotoFool

Deal: Open box deals from Adorama

Adorama just made a link to put all their E+ rated Canon items under one tab so Canon users could find them easier. They have a good selection of other used brands as well, it's just a link they created so Canon users would not have to sort through other brands.
  3. MrFotoFool

Sorry to rant - this will be my last post (probably). No where on the Adorama link does it say "open box." I think this is a mistaken assumption on the part of Canon Rumors. From what I can tell they just used a software algorithm to list all of their E+ rated used items together in one listing.
  4. MrFotoFool

Lots of good deals, but I found a couple odd quirks. The 5DS R is selling for LESS than the 5DS. Isn't this backwards? A film (yes film) Elan7E is selling for more than a digital Rebel T5. If these are really open box (which I interpret as store displays never purchased), then that Elan7E has...
  5. MrFotoFool

What is odd is that every item in that link (and there are a lot) are listed as used condition E+. If they are open box, I would think they would be listed as condition D (demo)?
  6. MrFotoFool

My Review: Sigma vs Heliopan Polarizers

I bought some Breakthrough UV filters and they seem like a good company. In fact I like the case they come in better than my other filters.
  7. MrFotoFool

BOTTOM LINE In my opinion (key word opinion), if you only care about the effect of polarization, then perhaps any multi-coated filter will suit you. The advantages to an expensive filter like Heliopan (or BW or similar) lie more in overall feel and color accuracy than actual effect of...
  8. MrFotoFool

CONCLUSION What did I learn from this, other than that I probably wasted an afternoon? Let me preface this by saying I only tested two filters, so this may or may not be a truism for cheap vs expensive filters overall. I will also note that both filters are multi-coated and it can be assumed...
  9. MrFotoFool

At home I did a final test to see how they compare in reducing reflections of a glass table. Once again the Sigma is noticeably darker and cooler. However in terms of their effectiveness in reducing glare, they are equal. Neither one was able to completely eliminate the glare at this particular...
  10. MrFotoFool

I also did a test shooting at a 90 degree angle, but did not bother making a photo sample. Due to the strong blue skies here in the desert, the shot without filter was actually preferable because it already had a deep blue sky. The shots with the filters were too dark - the sky was navy blue...
  11. MrFotoFool

Next I shot directly away from the sun, at a 180 degree angle. As expected, this had virtually no effect, though the Heliopan image may show a slight improvement (and also perhaps a slight warming). The Sigma once again is too dark and too cool (though exposure could be adjusted in camera to...
  12. MrFotoFool

First up is a wide angle (24mm) shot, which proves what most of us know: polarizing filters do not work well on wide angle sky scenes. Since their effect is strongest at a right angle (90 degrees) to the sun and weak to non-existent shooting directly towards or away (180 degrees) from the sun...
  13. MrFotoFool

I shot in manual exposure mode. Since circular polarizers absorb light, I adjusted the exposure from the "no filter" shots to the "Heliopan" shot to keep it about the same. However I did not adjust the exposure between the "Heliopan" shot and the "Sigma" shot. All test shots are camera JPEGS...
  14. MrFotoFool

A few years ago I bought a Sigma circular polarizer based on an online review that tested many polarizers at the time. It was around fifty bucks as I recall. Last year I decided to buy a pricey Heliopan since I assumed it would perform better with my L series lenses. It was around two hundred...
  15. MrFotoFool

Deal: Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L IS $2599 (Reg $3199)

I personally would not buy from gray market sources like this, but if you don't mind it is a good deal. However I think many forum users are like me and have no interest in the R but would be interested in a higher end body. The rumored 70MP intrigues me because I like doing big prints (40x60...
  16. MrFotoFool

A Miracle in Hello

Very nice shots under difficult circumstances. Can you imagine trying to shoot this back in the film days?
  17. MrFotoFool

24-70 f4 hood discontinued?

I will see how my JJC works and keep this in the back of my mind. But does anyone know why the one shown on Pictureline is missing L on the hood itself?
  18. MrFotoFool

Followup part two: I clicked on your link again and there is something very odd. The description says EW-83L but the printing on the hood in the photo just says EW-83. Even though it also says Canon, the fact that L is missing makes me suspect it is an illegal imitation.
  19. MrFotoFool

In stock where? Edit - Never mind, I clicked on your link and it goes to Pictureline, which I have never heard of before. However it also sells for 65 bucks, which is pretty steep, so I am hoping my twenty buck version works just as well.
  20. MrFotoFool

On a recent trip I discovered the lock button on my EW-83L lens hood (for 24-70 f4L IS) is broken. The hood still fits on the lens, but it does not lock in place. If I am not careful it will slide off kilter and create a vignette. So just now I went to the Canon USA website to order a...