Search results

1. D

crop sensor wide angle upgrade options

Currently have a Tokina 12-24mm F4 X-Pro II ultra wide zoom. While it suits my needs very well for the range, it suffers a lot from distortion and softness away from the centre. I don't use it a lot (last use was November 2017) but I'm thinking of upgrading it to something with better...
  2. D

What is your keeper rate?

As a shooter primarily of motorsports and airshows, and a determination to push shuttter speeds as lower as I possibly can, I'm used to having an average of 10-25% keeper rate. Variations on subject, weather, backgrounds all play a part. I find myself happy if I do get a 25% keeper rate...
  3. D

Pixsy. Anyone use it?

Twitter friend has put me onto it. Essentially you let it scan your Flickr, 500px etc, then it searches the web for your photos, you review any matches, its lawyers put in a claim and any payments are shared 50/50. Sounds simple. Just wondering if its genuine, worth the effort? I've never really...
  4. D

Zomei filters

Anyone used them? Been thinking of acquiring an ND grad for a while to have a go at some longer exposure stuff. Lee filters are too expensive for me to justify given I may not enjoy shooting with them and wouldn't use it much anyway. I have found this, which seems almost too good to be true...
  5. D

I have GAS!

Like most of us I lust for many photographic things pretty much constantly. My current kit is listed below, I mainly shoot motorsport, aircraft and landscapes, but will dabble with the odd macro or portrait now and again (after forgetting my previous attempts). I've got a sizeable tax refund...
  6. D

More reach

Struggling to work out where was best for this topic. I know its been covered numerous times before, but I'm after more reach than 200mm of my 70-200 on my 7D. It would be used primarily for motorsports, airshows and wildlife Budget is around £1000 which gives me options of: 2x tele converter...
  7. D

Videography for a beginner

I've been asked by my boss to shoot a video of a metal degreasing machine at work with a view to it being uploaded to the company website. The process happens in a sealed machine with a small porthole to look through and and LED illuminating the interior. The porthole itself, from memory is...
  8. D

current monitor calibration (compared to prints)

My serious photo editing takes place on a Dell SP2309W monitor, I know its nothing special compared to what is out there, but I always thought it looked very good compared to anything else I have used, since the time of buying (4 years ago) up until now. Monitor specs: Display Type LCD monitor...
  9. D

Rain cover

Seen various types, from heavy duty ones with 2 hand access and monopod/tripod to cheaper once/twice reuse Optech ones (would get expensive if I kept having to bin them), or a bin bag tied around end of lens and a hole for viewfinder (have done this once but it wasn't ideal), or a chamois cloth...
  10. D

Minolta MD to Canon EF adapter

Looking for an adaptor to fit a Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 onto my 7D. Have seen plenty of adapters with a bit of glass in to allow for focus to infinity, but I'm not interested in that. It will only be used for macro work so adding a likely poor quality bit of glass in the middle isn't needed/wanted...
  11. D

Memory cards

Currently I use 4x 4GB (2x SanDisk Extreme 3 30MB/s and 2x SanDisk Extreme 40MB/s UDMA CF cards and a 2GB Lexar 133x card. Shooting an airshow at the weekend I was having to change cards a lot (file sizes of my older Sony DSLR were smaller so it was less of a problem). I'm after 1 or more...