Search results

1. J

Industry News: Major Sony photography announcement July 16, 2019 at 10AM ET

I think one of the takeaways from the announcement is Eye AF in video mode which up to this point has only been available in stills. They've also improved the ergonomics by carrying over the MyDial feature from the A6400, locking the exposure dial and redesigning the grip/buttons as I hated...
  2. J

SIGMA announces the “SIGMA fp”, the world’s smallest and lightest mirrorless digital camera* with a full-frame image sensor

This camera is a niche low volume product like many of Sigma's cameras. It doesn't have a mechanical shutter, so it will be compromised in stills performance depending on what you compare it against. At the same time, it will offer CDNG and 4K that can be built up or down depending on the type...
  3. J

Canon working on another f/2 zoom lens for the RF mount [CR1]

I still think the 11-24mm is a niche range. The 11-24 can't share filters with the 24-70, is a stop slower and can't cover 35mm in a pinch. I still think that the 16-35 range is still well regarded as part of the trinity. It can handle landscapes decently, but it can also cover indoor low-light...
  4. J

Patent: Canon to have three image stabilization systems working together

This is a great explanation and now I have a proper term to describe this type of low frequency shake. "Accumulated shake" is way better than what I colloquially call the "spaghetti light effect." If you watch the split video, the phenomenon on the right is what CR is describing. It's...
  5. J

Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

I think I can agree with you, in the past, the 1Ds I've shot on in the past definitely feel like they focus faster, but I only had brief excursions with a 300 2.8 and 200 2 white lenses, but even lenses like the 85 1.2 felt faster. For years, I went with old school logic from Nikon since some of...
  6. J

Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Considering battery design and capacity is irrelevant without taking into consideration the equipment's battery economy. Most current systems (including mirrorless) are more than sufficient without "getting in the way." For hybrids shooting stills, DSLRs will always have an advantage without...
  7. J

Patent: Canon camera with in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization working together.

EIS doesn't work that well in low light. You commonly get the dreaded "spaghetti lights" phenomenon. GoPro's hypersmooth which exclusively uses EIS falls down entirely in low light. GoPro tried to mitigate this with a later firmware by bumping the ISO to keep the shutter speed up which obviously...
  8. J

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

Have you even read the links yet? You can clearly see via BCN Canon's 3 month declining trend in the MILC category. You can further review Canon's 1Q 2019 performance which shows their Imaging BU at -17% sales and -82% profit compared to 1Q 2018. I would have expected the A7III market share to...
  9. J

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

https://www.sonyrumors.co/bcn-full-frame-mirrorless-ranking-in-april-sony-a7-iii-has-40-market-share-and-rising/ It is difficult to get consistent data month to month, but at least for the month of Mar-Apr for FF MILC systems, it shows the A7III outpacing both the EOS R and RP at around 13-14%...
  10. J

Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.2.0 available for download

Also, the camera's speaker will play a pre-recorded "sorry" or "excuse me" through the speaker whenever you take photos of people that are didn't want their photo taken.
  11. J

The Canon EOS M50 leads mirrorless camera sales in Japan for March 2019

Sony has had a track record of flops/failures in the past. Look at memory sticks, betamax, aibo, minidisc, sony ericsson and mobile in general, DAT, ATRAC.. I think Blu-Ray was the only format that stuck (and Toshiba lost). Sony seems to enjoy pushing consumer electronics in uncharted territory...
  12. J

I've not only used one, I have one in my kit complete with battle scars..
  13. J

Canon executives say a lot more coming in 2019

I agree with this... as times and trends change, we learn to adapt and benefit from them. Those who don't, tend to get left behind.. I used to have a $200 Canon angle finder.. until I learned how useful a tilt flippy screen was and I don't even have to get my knees dirty. Heck, I don't even feel...
  14. J

The A7III is also surprising. This is a $2500 pro/prosumer camera in a list of $500-$800 entry-level movers.
  15. J

The funny part about this is Sony makes all of Fuji's sensors including their MF GFX line. I guess they aren't that old after all lol!
  16. J

Everybody's situation is different, but for me, the opportunity cost of waiting for Canon to flesh out its video/hybrid system was simply not worth it. Thus, I went over to Sony in late 2017 from Panasonic/Olympus in the MILC space. I didn't move over prior to that because Sony wasn't quite...
  17. J

The rest of 2019 for Canon will be about updating dated product lines [CR2]

Appreciate the sarcasm, but I can perhaps see lower end mirrorless cameras being eventually displaced by phones as well in the near future. For many casual shooters, there will have to a compelling need to actually purchase and carry around an ILC. The newest Huawei P30 Pro has a 16mm-125mm FL...
  18. J

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Ahh.. The trusty Canon E1.. I'm a huge fan of this exact strap. I still have the exact same strap today which I use on my gripped Sony bodies. I've had it for 10+ years and still use it. I find it reduces wrist/finger fatigue by at least 50%-60% or more. When I'm shooting heavy 2.8 zooms, I can...
  19. J

Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

I was impressed with the RP specs when it launched. I thought that seeing 4K, 422 8bit, C-AF Eye-AF was a good sign for the upcoming flagship in terms of specs as I was certain the RP was going to top out at 1080p. Initial tests show similar rolling shutter to the EOS R and 5DIV, which I...
  20. J

Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

It's on the press release I believe. It is similar to the M50 that DPAF is not available in 4K and uses contrast detection. Many entry level buyers probably won't even care about 4K or fully understand the difference between CDAF/DPAF and will simply see that the camera auto focuses in video and...