Search results

1. C

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III one of two “Big White Lenses” coming ahead of Photokina [CR3]

I've only found it possible to obtain a usable image in post-processing using added contrast if I overexpose by about 2/3 of a stop or more, and have a very well balanced histogram on all of my RGB channels. I'll almost always prefer using a bare lens and cropping to my desired focal length in...
  2. C

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III one of two “Big White Lenses” coming ahead of Photokina [CR3]

Aperture limited auto focus applies only to phase detection auto focus. I admit this would be a problem if you exclusively use optical viewfinders for focusing. But Canon has fielded a solution to this problem for many years now. It's called Dual Pixel Auto Focus. DPAF is not limited by small...
  3. C

Canon Patent Applications: More stacked sensor patents

"using the second substrate to control exposure, thus having more flexibility including having sensors capable of extremely fast speeds, for example, up to 1000 fps " A 1D X III with a 1,000FPS e-shutter sounds like a good answer to the competition. I'll take two please.
  4. C

I haven't tried the Sigma 150-600, but I have used the Tamron 150-600 G2. Both are quite comparable from everything I hear. I own the 400mm F/5.6 and I've rented a Sigma 500mm F/4.5 and a Canon 600mm F/4. The fact that your Sigma is as sharp in the center as your 300mm F/2.8 w/ x2TC, or the...
  5. C

It would look that way on paper, but the Tamron & Sigma 150-600mm F/5-6.3 aren't impressive at all on the long end. Low contrast, slow AF, pincushion distortion, and aberrations that usually accompany super-telephoto zooms, compared to a prime that is. A Canon 600mm F/8 with IS and USM...
  6. C

Does anyone know if Canon will ever be inclined to provide non-L super-telephoto primes? Since the new 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II has effectively consolidated the 300mm F/4L and the 400mm F/5.6L, I'd like to see OIS USM versions of those lenses without the great white bodies and price tags. A...
  7. C

Updated models registered for certification

I certainly hope Canon wouldn't be that cruel. But you never know... I'd expect we'll get the high-end full-frame and M5 II announced in October and released for the 2018 holiday, and then followed up by a Q1 or Q2 2019 release of the entry-level full-frame. In the midst of the mirrorless...
  8. C

Updated models registered for certification

Hmm... An APS-C fixed lens compact (or kinda compact) with the 18-150 would certainly make some waves. Might wreck havoc on the sales for the M100 and M6, though. As for the fixed lens full-frame - this is something I've been hoping Canon would do for years. I'd love a shortened 35mm F/1.4L...
  9. C

More Mentions of a Canon Mirrorless Announcement Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

For me, there's really only one thing that will sell me on a mirrorless camera (from Canon or anyone else) - the EVF. I prefer DSLRs because I have a crystal clear, lag-free view of my composition. I'll wait until I start seeing mirrorless cameras with Sony's new 5 million-dot 240FPS EVF...
  10. C

Sigma Readying Two New EF Lenses for Photokina? [CR1]

If Sigma really wanted to turn up the pressure on Canon, then they should try something crazy like a 24-200mm F/4 DG HSM Art. Consolidating the 24-70 & 70-200 in a full-frame F/4 constant aperture would be a first as far as I know. Olympus already has an effective 24-200mm F/4 via their 12-100mm...
  11. C

Is a native EF mount coming to a Canon full frame mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Producing two distinct lines of mirrorless cameras with different mounts seems like a risky move, but it might be a way to avoid consumer backlash from everyone whose adopted a large collection of EF glass. I suppose the mirrorless EF mount cameras would likely all conform to the 1D body style...
  12. C

Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

Still waiting on a Magic Lantern build for the 6D2 so I can get C-Log
  13. C

Patent: Canon XC Style Camera With Interchangeable Lenses

That would be awesome, but I just don't think it's possible to design a focal reducer that can shrink a FF image circle (43.3mm) to a 1" image circle (16mm) and still retain decent resolution and contrast. There would have to be significant crop - maybe a x0.71 reducer at the most.
  14. C

A Bit More About the New “Big White” Lenses Coming from Canon [CR3]

Re: A Bit More About the New \ I'd really like to see Canon's Diffractive Optics technology start to become more mainstream in their fast super-telephoto primes. The early DO models suffered from some weird bokeh artifacts (onions), but that's mostly come under control with the latest 400mm...
  15. C

The Canon PowerShot SX740 HS To Be Announced Soon

I hope it gets the ability to shoot in CRAW. The only thing holding me back from buying one of the SX700-series is the JPEG-only output.
  16. C

The Mess That is the Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Rumor Mill

I would be satisfied with just a Mark III teleporter from Sony.
  17. C

Announcements Coming The First Week of September [CR2]

An M5 II would be welcome. And it should be coming out by late this year or early next year if Canon intend to have their mirrorless enthusiast APS-C segment refresh cycle match the DSLR enthusiast APS-C refresh cycle. But I'd rather see them put some serious effort into delivering some...
  18. C

Canon's Full Frame Mirorrless Cameras [CR2]

I really, really hope it's a new short-flange mirrorless mount. That opens the doors for smaller & lighter glass, and hopefully smaller & lighter bodies. As to the "sexy solution", maybe that's going to be a weather-sealed EOS EF-to-EOS EF-M adapter with a mirror box and PDAF module tucked...
  19. C

The Full List of Unreleased Canon Camera ID’s

Bear in mind that the M100, M5, M6, 80D, 77D (9000D), T7i (800D), SL2 (200D), and G1 X III use the same sensor. That's a lot of product consolidation for sensor manufacture. Canon is able to recuperate the R&D costs through selling same sensor across the majority of their product portfolio, so...
  20. C

A New 50mm Lens is Being Tested in the Wild [CR2]

I'd like to see a new incarnation of the 50mm F/1L. Probably an absurd wish - the level of optical corrections, exotic flint/crown glass, and multi coatings needed for a usable F/1 aperture at 50mm would make the thing cost a fortune. Canon needs to concentrate on getting a competitive 50mm...