Search results

1. B

Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II information [CR1]

As Netflix is a major purchaser of independent productions and contracts out the production of a number of it's own properties, they have camera standards, similar to other networks like BBC, Discovery, natGeo, etc. Because it's become such a behemoth in the industry, it's camera specs are...
  2. B

Is the Canon EOS C500 Mark II finally coming in 2019? [CR1]

Not sure they've sold a single C700 FF. Never seen one outside of NAB or CineGear. And I'm not sure characterizing the C500 as a failure is correct either. It was actually a pretty popular B-cam and was used on several features because of it's low light ability. And there were a lot of mid level...
  3. B

Unreleased Canon Cinema EOS camera used for 8K capture at WWDC

...and the memory (256 gb vs 1.5tb) ...and the video cards (you would need 8 of yours to equal the memory and bandwidth of the 2 Vega II duo cards in the 50k Mac... and your beloved thread ripper board that can only handle 256gb of memory.... and...and..and. Look, like you, I have no need for...
  4. B

Sure. Although I don't know how he gets a $19k machine when the RAM alone spec'd in the Verge article is $18k (couldn't find it cheaper). Sure he specs 64gb modules that save him some dough, (but not that much even if he can come up with enough slots to bank the 1.5tb in the verge...
  5. B

Again with the monitor. The Dell you quoted is a 400nit SDR model that uses the same backlight technology as the 10 year old NEC collecting dust next to me. It is not a reference monitor, it is not HDR. It is not XDR (honestly, Apple is asking for it with this one). There is no LCD panel that...
  6. B

Your predisposition for all caps, and propensity for footnotes that include amazon notwithstanding. Please put together a build with the same components and I/o contained in the fictitious apple machine. Let’s see how much you save. A general rule in this industry is that if a component costs...
  7. B

Glad your happy with a completely different set of components. :-) The referenced Hypothetical machine included specific hardware and manufacturers pricing for the components. Harry’s machine listed different, lesser components. If you can build the same machine for less, you should give it a...
  8. B

I believe the Mac Pro Demo stations were running multiple streams of 8k footage shot in Africa on a Red. There was another demo...possibly 'off-site' that showed a Canon camera on a robot arm with some AI software doing live compositing...You've seen it here on CR.
  9. B

Ha. Ok...so you're comparing your $20k monstrosity with a completely hypothetical $50k apple machine, listing completely different hardware from the ground up. Classic. You got my attention with the monitor, spec'ing something that has "one" feature in common with the apple XDR (8k, sort of)...
  10. B

Industry News: Fujifilm announces the GFX 100, a 102mp medium format camera

Hasselblad, (and for that matter, Phase One) has, since the H3d, made medium format digital cameras with a range of sensor sizes from 33x44 on up to 40x53mm (the h5d-50 in the chart was the older ccd version. The CMOS version (H5d-50c) was a 33x44. Medium format has always referred to range of...
  11. B

Industry News: Fujifilm GFX 100 specifications leak, 100mp medium format camera on the way

Uh...I do. Yes it's a niche market. The top of the line is always a niche market. Anyone shooting fashion, or landscapes, high level portraiture, architecture, product and fine art would want this camera. Dropped the mic? Depends on whether you consider outclassing every other competitor in...
  12. B

Industry News: Fujifilm GFX 100 specifications leak, 100mp medium format camera on the way

For it to be true, Sony would need to MAKE a 120mp type 3.4 sensor. They do however make a 102mp. type 3.4 sensor, one that has generally been assumed to be the sensor in this camera since it was announced. Also, Fuji's nomenclature for the GFX would indicate something closer to 100. I think...
  13. B

Fuji rumors has it at 102 mp , not 120mp. Which seems more likely given previous official announcements. Otherwise, I’m liking the EVF specs at face value.
  14. B

Firmware v1.2.0 seems to have solved a banding issue that was present in the Canon EOS R

I just hate it when folks use charts badly to prove problems that don’t exist. That Stouffer chart he’s using has a Dmax of 4.05, thus covers 13..5 stops of DR (which depending on your core philosophy, is a near match for the R sensor’s DR, or exceeds it by a stop or two. Either way, The opaque...
  15. B

Firmware v1.2.0 seems to have solved a banding issue that was present in the Canon EOS R

Technically, the problem he’s seeing is CMOS smear, and it affects all cmos sensors to some degree, although canon sensors have been leading culprits as they try to eek out every last drop of DR from their aging sensors. That maven man is running a crazily overexposed chart, and then lifting...
  16. B

Is a brand new 32.5mp APS-C sensor from Canon on the way? [CR1]

There are theoretical maximums for any pixel pitch and most of the best manufacturers produce lenses that meet (and exceed) those numbers in the center of the lens. I've yet to see a quality lens that isn't improved by a better sensor...we're not at the point where the best sensors are outpacing...
  17. B

Is a brand new 32.5mp APS-C sensor from Canon on the way? [CR1]

I made several 40x60 and 44x65 inch landscapes for a client this week and 50mp is still holding on pretty well. I'm pretty happy with 50, and would probably take a little more DR and less shadow noise over more resolution, but I don't see an end, at least personally till we get into the triple...
  18. B

Industry News: ARRI announces the ALEXA Mini LF

Full pricing over on Newsshooter. 55k bade. About 70k for a ready to go package. No licenses. Codex add-ons surprisingly down to earth.
  19. B

Opinion: Canon EOS R with the Atomos Ninja V = Baby Canon C200!

As autofocus continues to make it's way into professional cinematography (pulling focus by touch screen, while not exactly the same as having a 1st AC on set, is nonetheless an art that is coming of age, and I have no doubt that as video crews continue to shrink, AF on large sensor video cameras...
  20. B

Opinion: Canon EOS R with the Atomos Ninja V = Baby Canon C200!

A B camera isn't always a second camera, and may be used in situations where the A camera isn't appropriate, or is in use somewhere else.