Search results

1. R

Canon explains RF lens technology and why bigger is better (sometimes)

I can't help wondering if the evolution of cameras is going the way of cars ... where the price remains constant, whilst the features just keep getting better and better ... or the evolution of pocket calculators where they ran out of features and the price just went down and down Obviously...
  2. R

Canon explains RF lens technology and why bigger is better (sometimes)

so there are three options .. cheaper lenses at the same quality same price lenses at better quality even more expensive lenses at much better quality wonder which one we're going to get ... hmmm ...
  3. R

Patent: Further breakdown of Canon’s upcoming IBIS technology

From my point of view I would like to fit a cheap prime lens such as a Sigma 85mm f1.4 art lens ... and then use it to photograph my family in our home without using either a tripod or flash lighting. The provision of in-camera image stabilization means that the exposure time can be longer...
  4. R

The Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM: The developers answer 10 questions

Well, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art lens can currently be bought new in the UK on the grey market for around £770. That's $975 at today's exchange rate. So, if Canon would like to offer me their new 85mm RF lens for, let's say, $1000 then I would be very happy to give it a look. Otherwise, err...
  5. R

No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

Personally I'm very pleased about the announcement. I was hum-ing and hah-ing aboubt buying an EOS R but then I saw the rave reviews of the new Panasonic S1 - and in particular its glorious 5.6MP 120 fps "Real view finder". I don't want to leave Canon .. I love Canon. I would prefer that...
  6. R

Is the term ISO “totally fake”?

Tony would probably be the first to agree with you ... he isn't selling himself as a great photographer .. he's in the "infotainment" industry ... and judging by his number of subscribers he seems to be doing pretty well at it !
  7. R

Yeah just like the days of professional typists which were completely ruined by digital word processing ... You ain't seen nothing yet ... Only a matter of time until lightroom is built into the camera and will automatically crop, post process and even rate your pictures completely...
  8. R

I thought it was yet another totally excellent video by Tony Northrup. When I started photography in earnest about three years ago I watched tons of Tony's videos and found them both informative and inspiring. Personally I feel I owe him a lot. I think he is a great communicator and pitches...
  9. R

Canon appears to have confirmed IBIS is on the roadmap

Will the be the EOS R mark II then ? ( or some hyper-expensive piece of kit that only photo journalists and wildlife pros can afford )
  10. R

Canon officially announces the development of 6 new RF mount lenses

that 70-200 looks pretty compact ... quite surprising having read countless comments on this site informing us all that lenses can't be made any smaller due to "physics"
  11. R

Canon Inc. full year 2018 financial results, and thoughts on the industry and future goals

or, perhaps very optimistically, the target being improved production efficiency = lower production costs = lower sales price
  12. R

5 axis IBIS coming to next Canon EOS R series camera [CR2]

Well, I can't speak for others, but I'm just an enthusiast, and most of my photos are of my family, and at a guess, about half are indoors in all sorts of locations. There is *no way* they are going wait for me to set up and then pose in front of a tripod, but if I whip out a camera then they...
  13. R

Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS to come before EF version [CR2]

ha ! doesn't sound like the leak came from the marketing department then :)
  14. R

Some interesting observations from Optical Limits on 24-70 lenses in general ... "Let's start this review with a little discussion - are 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses an attractive offering or just overhyped? Within our local team that's an open question"...
  15. R

apparently never ! https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60911043
  16. R

Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

Exodus ? Well, I can only speak anecdotally from my own personal experience as I don't have statistics. I was seriously thinking about switching to Sony, but the YouTube reviews I've seen of the EOS R are enough to persuade me to stick with Canon. From what I've seen the Viewfinder and AF are...
  17. R

Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

yeap the car manufacturers have proved that ! https://www.driving.co.uk/news/the-worlds-worst-car-names/
  18. R

Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

Think of it as a pipeline. Canon are going to have to make a collosal investment to produce a full suite of RF lenses - primes, zooms, super-large whites, tilt-shift. Yes, there are no doubt going to be some lenses which have been in development for years popping out of the pipeline, but...
  19. R

Economics Economics - cost of R&D has to be reduced in the now shrinking market for cameras Why develop two 70-200 f/4 lens when one will be fine ?
  20. R

Indeed ... As others have already pointed out there are many similarities here to the slow but certain demise of film ...