Search results

1. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Review: Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG ART HSM

Nice. I hope Tamron continues to develop reasonably sized prime lenses. I love some of the new Sigma lenses (like this 105), but they are too big to just throw in the bag and bring along.
  2. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Ditto for me. I finally sold the 45 VC after adding Sony to my kit only because the Sony Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4, while expensive, is probably the best all-round 50mm lens I've ever reviewed. I bought one and then considered the Tamron unnecessary, so I sold it to underwrite a bit of the cost...
  3. TWI by Dustin Abbott

I agree with your point regarding Tamron, except that I've typically achieved those results after some work with the Tap In. The last three Sigma lenses that I've reviewed (all of which were supported in Canon's Lens Aberration Corrections) have not needed ANY calibration to work exceptionally...
  4. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Review: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II by Dustin Abbott

That may well be your opinion, but that hasn't been my experience over doing well over 100 reviews. Using this technique has revealed truths that test charts have not.
  5. TWI by Dustin Abbott

I find a three dimensional object much more telling for things like longitudinal chromatic aberration and for determining microcontrast.
  6. TWI by Dustin Abbott

P.S. It plays very nicely with the Canon 1.4x TC (III). Still very sharp.
  7. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Continue reading...
  8. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Review: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II by TDP

This lens is scheduled for delivery for me to review today. I suspect it is a very good lens, though it seems likely at this point that the improvement is very incremental. The Tamron 70-210mm VC left me ever-so-slightly underwhelmed, so I'm hoping this will be better. Canon's approach to...
  9. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Tamron 70-210mm f/4 VC USD (A034) Review | Dustin

You can take pretty photos with most lenses if you know what you're doing. I would recommend waiting to see what the 70-200 f/4L IS II has to offer, as it seems like Canon has really put their development efforts into it. I think the Tamron is a good choice if you have budget constraints, but...
  10. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Here's a few photos from the lens that I've shared on social media: Ferns and Daisies by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr The Ornament of the Grass by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr Bokehlicious Weeds (Sony a73 Review) by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr In the Light of Evening by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr Spring...
  11. TWI by Dustin Abbott

I received a review copy of the Tamron 70-210mm f/4 VC (A034) a month ago, and I released my final coverage of the lens today. Here’s my review linkage: Video Review: http://bit.ly/A034youtube Text Review: http://bit.ly/A034dla Image Gallery: http://bit.ly/70210VCig Short take: for...
  12. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Information Ahead of Tonight's Announcement

I don't consider the 16-35LIII to be a home run, myself. I think the degree of vignette is a fatal flaw, particularly when I've seen noise introduced even on the 5DIV (a body with great shadow recovery) when correcting for it. It's an excellent lens in many ways, but I'd personally choose...
  13. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Information Ahead of Tonight's Announcement

Some very valid points made here. I just hope that this isn't a similar scenario to the 24-105L II, a lens that left me completely underwhelmed. Am I alone in feeling that Canon really needs a new "smash hit"? I haven't been blown away by a Canon lens since the 35L II.
  14. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Sony a73 Review and Playlist | Dustin

This is a pretty accurate assessment. Ironically the best focus speed I personally get with the 35L II is from a cheaper Vello adapter, though there are a few other negative quirks there.
  15. TWI by Dustin Abbott

AF performance is, in my opinion, no longer a reason to not go mirrorless. I got better tracking results with the a73 than I have with any DSLR.
  16. TWI by Dustin Abbott

I agree that the downgraded EVF is the primary disappointment on the camera. It is in large part the much better EVF on the a7R3 that makes it my preferred platform for MF glass. You can magnify the image and have great clarity for focusing.
  17. TWI by Dustin Abbott

I'm in the same boat, though I'm now shooting a hybrid kit with the 5DIV/80D and a6500/a7RIII. Lenses adapt fairly well, but native glass obviously works best.
  18. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Yes, this was taken with the a73 along with the 100-400L II: Walking on Water (Sony a73) by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
  19. TWI by Dustin Abbott

Hi everyone. On the Canon front it has been somewhat of a slow season, with more rumors and hopes than actual product releases. On the Sony side of things, however, it has been a very busy season. I've wrapped up my long term coverage of those interested in the a73. I’ve wrapped up my...