Search results

1. S

Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Well, if it is to be a head-scratcher, how about this: NO SCREEN, and packaged with OIII, H-alpha etc. filters. Makes sense on a dedicated astro camera (have you tried looking at star field photos on a tiny screen in the dark?). It would make their astrophotography camera much less expensive...
  2. S

Industry News: Fujifilm GFX 100 specifications leak, 100mp medium format camera on the way

I'll wait until someone builds an affordable 6 x 6 or 6 x 4.5 digital medium format (with global shutter, of course), which eventually might be within reason. This camera's format should be called "44mm" or "'APS-C' medium format" instead of medium format as it's about half the sensor area of...
  3. S

Hejnar Photo is having a Memorial Day Sale: 20% OFF!

Hejnar Photo is offering 20% off on all products for Memorial Day. This is a fantastic offer, as sales here are rare and his prices are usually lower than competitors. I own a number of clamps, rails, and such from Hejnar, and love the quality of his CNC precision machining. So if you want...
  4. S

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 with apodization filter

I have to agree with this, too. I'm considering dumping mine without a lens to replace it, and also considering renting the Sigma Art alternative (all my lenses are Canon). This lens is the biggest weakness in my landscape tools. An EF 50mm f/1.4 with the same optical formula isn't likely to...
  5. S

Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM coming in 2019? [CR1]

I see that Adorama now has the EF 50mm f/1.8 marked as "closeout" and on sale. Perhaps this rumor is indicative of a new EF version as well? Oh, oh! Possibly in even cheaper-feeling matte black Kris-krinkle plastic, with a focus ring only 2mm long tucked in by the camera mount, and a decal...
  6. S

Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

>> We will work hard on both DSLR and mirrorless technologies and will wait to hear what customers say about each. << Yes, Canon, there is this matter of a long-neglected EF 50mm f/1.4 we need to discuss...
  7. S

The World's Largest Ultrahigh-Sensitivity CMOS Image Sensor

Based on the numbers provided, a 200mm x 200mm square sensor would cost about $75,000 if produced in large quantities--probably closer to $750,000 for a smaller run since fabrication set-up is divided across fewer units. CMOS unit costs after set-up are proportional to the cube of the die area...
  8. S

PS --> not a valid photoshop document

There used to be a problem with Apple PS v Adobe PS, perhaps that still exists? Check the first line of the file. It's first characters should be something like "!%Adobe-PS" if I recall correctly, and if they aren't one has to manually edit this in.
  9. S

Luster vs cotton rag photo paper

I've printed on a number of papers for shows (a mix of photographic process paper and inkjet). Cotton rag can impart a soft, water-color texture to an image but cover glass will greatly diminish the effect unless one is up very close. It works with certain images, usually pastels with large...
  10. S

Twist on selling used.....Opinion?

Thanks to folks who shared their Ebay selling experiences. Think I might put a couple pieces up for sale.
  11. S

Twist on selling used.....Opinion?

I would surmise the price you would get selling it to a retailer will be less, but there is a convenience factor (take into account what you make per hour times the number of hours you might put into selling it elsewhere). Usually retailers give more value in trade than in cash. I'm curious if...
  12. S

Canon Lens Milestones in Annual Production Terms

Attached is a graph which permits some comparison with CIPA numbers, though the dates aren't aligned that way. The graph uses Canon's announced EF lens production milestones to estimate lens shipments per year over the intervening time interval, but those are aligned to announcements instead of...
  13. S

New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

Price of 6D: $2000. Price of 80D: $1400. There are definitely some parallels, but also differences such as GPS. But lets ignore that, and suppose it is a closer parallel to the Rebel. There are plenty of amateurs and folks with limited money who understand the benefits of a larger sensor...
  14. S

Here We Go Again, New 50mm L Coming in 2018 [CR2]

And the winner is... ::drum roll:: manufacturers of filters with 77mm threads! ;D
  15. S

New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

Some of the suggestions are patently ludicrous, as there is no market for half the cameras mentioned. Three ideas so far make sense to me. FF mirrorless and a high Mp pro camera are marketable and have been mentioned. But I haven't seen mention of the most obvious: a FF amateur camera...
  16. S

Pricing in USD of the New Canon Gear

I wish the TS-E's accommodated a tripod ring. I wonder if the 90mm and 135mm have any significant focus breathing?
  17. S

Sleeping cuckoo wasp

"Should be able to?" I really don't know--my goal is to experiment and see if I can reveal some interesting details about the structure. Whether or not that is possible I can't say for certain. There are several tools (magnification, type of light, color of light, polarization, etc...) that I...
  18. S

Sleeping cuckoo wasp

I sometimes use the MP-E 65mm in the field, like you do. But I also have a table top platform with a Cognisys StackShot, and will probably soon get a 10X objective to do higher magnification work. It's fun learning new things and meeting new challenges!
  19. S

Sleeping cuckoo wasp

Thanks for the images (I like the wasp face). One reason I was asking about a snoot was curiosity about how a narrow beam of light affected the iridescence of the surface. I did find a research note that explained how it functions ("light refracting through open spaces between six layers of...
  20. S

Sleeping cuckoo wasp

Thanks for sharing this, I love it! I wondered how the colors were produced, and this photo clearly shows it is surface iridescence. That still doesn't give me a complete explanation (looks like semi-parabolic cells, but is there a thin film which causes reflection interference?...) but it is...