Search results

1. S

Specifications and pricing for the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS and Canon RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS

I'm going to predict that the RF 24-70 wide open is sharper and higher contrast than the EF 24-70 is at any aperture. CAnon's either 1) gone smaller with the RF and maintained quality (35, 24-105) or 2) gone bigger and had quality go through the roof.
  2. S

Patent: Canon RF 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6

Hear hear! I'm keen of course to see the 135/1.0 or whatever brain-melting spec they come up with next but the most likely lenses I'd buy are: 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, all of which designed to stick out no further than the grip even at the sacrifice of optical quality. That said I don't think it...
  3. S

Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

I wonder if the decades-old "trinity" lineup is going to be now available in f/2, f/2.8, and f/4 lines.
  4. S

Patent: Eye-controlled autofocus for mirrorless cameras

On my old EOS-3, I had the custom function set to only AF when I pressed the asterisk button, I think it was. I had the shutter half-depress set to exposure lock, and finger OFF the asterisk be focus lock. It worked great on the EOS-3 and I have no idea why they then discontinued it. It was...
  5. S

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

I'd like to see a 135mm f/1.0 DS. Basically, stopped down to f/1.4, it'd give entirely round highlights center to corner, then the DS would turn those into fluffy cotton balls. The front would be about the size of a 400/2.8 or 600/4 so I imagine an $8000 specialty lens. Yet they're already...
  6. S

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

Agreed! I need a 35/2-non-macro-non-IS and a 50/1.8 to choose between to have my R in my backpack every day of the week. A Chinese company called Kipon has f/2.4 primes in 24, 28, 35, 50, 75, and 90, but I'm not sure if they're optimized for the RF system's short film-flange distance. My...
  7. S

Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

I think they can't play the game of making some products worse in order to avoid sabotaging sales of other products. Sigma and Tamron, not to mention Sony and Nikon, are breathing over their shoulders.
  8. S

One issue though is the lens entrance pupil, basically the lens front, needs to be about 17mm to give the very minor pop we associate with a 35/2. I haven't seen a cell phone with even 1/10 that area yet. It actually doesn't matter how big the sensor is, I don't think, or at least that affects...
  9. S

For sure. I'm trading up literally the day they go on sale. I don't even need to know much about it. Any better will be welcome.
  10. S

They won't, perhaps, bother with cheapo toy zooms, and toy primes like the all-plastic EF 50/1.8 MkII, but they should or even must put out things like the pro-use EF 50/1.8. MkI. Enthusiasts like me want to use the same camera for grab shots in daily life that we use for everything else, but...
  11. S

Absolutely totally agreed with most of your note. I too use the 24-105 and the 50/1.2 and simply have never been happier with lenses. The 85/1.2 is as big an improvement as the 50/1.2 is: 1) the RF from center to corner is sharper wide-open than the EF is at any aperture. 2) the RF 30lp/mm is...
  12. S

I think it'd be more likely to work the other way: if sales were great they'd slow down a bit with new hardware for the system. Slow sales would be a sign they need to make the system more attractive with yet more hardware. Also remember the Olympics creates an artificial deadline for getting...
  13. S

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Even with spares and service, you're not going to have a chance to get a spare during most events. I don't think reliability is a huge issue, that said: even an EOS R, definitely not a pro-grade camera, isn't going to just stop working half-way through the 50m dash or what have you.
  14. S

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

You weren't talking about the Olympics. Your post was the third one on this article, and didn't mention Olympics, and neither did the two previous. You made an unqualified statement, that was BS. I called about it, and you lie about the context when the context is trivially checkable. I'm...
  15. S

Oh, I think Canon is capable of anything it wants to do, but like most companies, its business is making money, not showing what it can do. For better or worse, it's only going to give us the things it thinks will be most profitable. That's not bad news: that was the same motivation behind the...
  16. S

Their market share is growing even with the current less-than-exciting camera. The glass at least is truly awesome. 28-70/2 still looks like a typo to me, it's so hard to believe, and the 50/1.2 is literally 10x sharper in the corners than the EF. I think the IS for the wide and normal...
  17. S

1) many pro photogs never use the telephotos. Simple reportage, travel, wedding, stock, etc. are probably fine with trinity zooms. The 2.8 trinity is already announced, with IS all the way. Many working pros don't need anything more. I grant there are other pros that almost only use the...
  18. S

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

The RF system's been out for 7 months in which we've gotten two camera bodies, five lenses, another what, five, for this year? If your point is that Canon's waited too long to even come to the MILFF market I'll agree with you there, but now they've finally swung into action I think they're...
  19. S

Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

Curious if anyone who wants two cards for backup in case a card dies, is happy with the camera's ability to sync photos via Blutooth to a smart phone? I've tried it myself and it works but is a bit slow on my relatively old iPhone. I don't know if its faster on newer phones or if that speed...
  20. S

Patent: Canon working on lens cap technology!

Another problem I see is that if you drop it lens down on something convex, the separate blades could scratch the lens front. My alternate suggestion should be at LEAST as strong as a regular lens cap, in fact in practice better as it couldn't fall off.