Search results

1. PCM-madison

RF 24-240mm: No full frame cover at 24mm

Upon further testing by opening RAW photos from my lens at 24mm F4 using different RAW converters, I can confirm that my lens shows mechanical vignetting or not depending on the RAW conversion pathway. All of the final images are 6240X4160 so there is clearly some cropping and up-scaling for...
  2. PCM-madison

I'm very curious how and if this issue shows up in future reviews by Brian at TDP and Roger at lensrentals whose reviews I most respect. For me, an issue that only shows up using non-compatible RAW conversion is a non-issue for my workflow.
  3. PCM-madison

My RAW images have mild vignetting. I have never heard of Mr. Frost. Maybe it was poor technique like shooting wide angle with a filter installed that could block part of the image circle.
  4. PCM-madison

Distortion at 24mm, yes. Not covering full frame, false. EOS RP with 24-240mm at 24mm F4. RAW image processed in Adobe RAW with no lens correction.
  5. PCM-madison

First impressions of the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM

Hi Alan, I was not particularly close to the birds for a 240mm lens and full frame camera so no great photos were taken. I was just testing the ability to pick up and track birds in flight. Here is a series of the same gull being tracked quite nicely over several seconds by the camera/lens combo.
  6. PCM-madison

I will get back to you on the F6.3 focal length tomorrow. I have an M5 but not the EF-M 18-150 so I can't address your question about the relative IQ. However, for me the RP is a much more satisfying and useful camera than the M5. I own an original EOS M which I found lacking as an all around...
  7. PCM-madison

Both photos were taken at F8, 1/500 sec, ISO 1000. They were RAW images processed in Adobe software. Final composite was downsized. I don't know the upload rules for this site, but I take it that there is both a file size and pixel dimension limit based on not being able to upload full sized RP...
  8. PCM-madison

Here is a shot of the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM mounted on my EOS RP shown next to my 5Ds R with EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM mounted for size comparison.
  9. PCM-madison

Autofocus speed at 240mm was very fast and accurate in both one shot and servo, tested outside in the final hour before sunset. I did not test side-by-side with adapted EF telephoto lenses, but previous experience with such lenses suggests the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM was significantly faster...
  10. PCM-madison

Mirrorless viewfinders and wildlife photography

I agree with your points about the R/RP for wildlife. I have the RP not R. I also have a 5Ds R, 7D mii, and SL1. All of the DSLRs are better for wildlife with my telephoto EF lenses. I have some hope that native RF telephoto lenses will help greatly. I just got my RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM...
  11. PCM-madison

My preordered RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM arrived today. It did not work at all on my EOS RP until I updated the camera firmware. Once updated, it worked nicely. I find the size, weight, and balance to be a good fit for the EOS RP. Zoom action is smooth and requires similar effort throughout the...
  12. PCM-madison

Canon USA introduces new instant rebates on select RF lenses

My preordered RF 24-240mm shipped on Friday and arrives tomorrow.
  13. PCM-madison

Canon officially announces the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS STM

My preorder has been updated to a September 3 delivery.
  14. PCM-madison

Cats!

Minnie
  15. PCM-madison

All kinds of Adobe questions - Photoshop / Light Room Classic , file structures, importing and best practices.....

The following only applies to my personal opinions and workflow. I'm sure many do it differently. I do always shoot in M and RAW. I do photography as a hobby so I do not have to process 100's or 1000's of images every day. I do sometimes return from a vacation with ~2000 new photos to work with...
  16. PCM-madison

An RF super telephoto zoom on the way, likely in late 2020 [CR1]

I have the RF 24-105 F4 L IS and EF 24-105 F4 L IS v1 and they are almost exactly the same size.
  17. PCM-madison

Low-Light Autofocus Performance

I only checked the 5DIV, but if you click the "view full specifications" button you get the numbers. In this case, -3 to 18 EV for the center point at F2.8.
  18. PCM-madison

I got that specification from the Canon USA website.
  19. PCM-madison

Ability to focus in low light is part of camera autofocus sensitivity rating listed as an EV range. A lower bottom number indicates a lower amount of light needed for autofocus. Recently released RP has a -5 EV rating. 70D has a -0.5 EV rating for the center point so it needs much more light.
  20. PCM-madison

Thinking about going mirrorless and looking for advice

I have a 7D mii, an M5, and an RP. The 7D mii is much better than the others for sports or fast moving wildlife. Aside from those specific uses, I find the RP to be a very satisfying all around camera for travel. It was the camera I brought on a recent trip to Iceland with up to 8 hours of...