Search results

1. J

Here are a couple of Canon EOS M6 Mark II reviews

I have been impressed by the M6 ii, too, but I want the built in EVF. It simply suits me better. I would hope it would retain the twisty lcd of the M6 ii as it has proven valuable to me on my R. I wonder if there could be an M1 coming, perhaps instead of a M5 ii. This could be a camera...
  2. J

Canon Patent application for a Canon RF 24-80mm f/4

This seems like a quite complex design with all seven groups moving around while zooming. It also looks as if there are at least 3 aspherical lenses involved. Looks like an L to me.
  3. J

Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Some bellows designs have two sets of rails. The upper ones are the lens and camera standards and move to set focus distance. The bottom set of rails have another movement, usually mounted to the tripod, which also can be moved back and forth while maintaining magnification but allowing a...
  4. J

Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

I tried the new firmware for the R on the running border collie test. I was very pleased with the results. Light levels were low as it was late afternoon and a major snow storm was inbound, ISO 3200, 1/160 to 1/200 shutter speed, wide open with the 100-400 ii. Of course there was a lot of...
  5. J

Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

The first of the year I rented an R, adapter and 24-105 for two weeks. My main goal was to photograph bald eagles, mainly in flight. It did well, although one aspect of the testing was to see how well it worked in cold weather. I was working in the 20's. Later in the two weeks I had the...
  6. J

I have not had that much trouble getting good to excellent wildlife results from the R using lenses from the 100-400 L IS ii to the 400/2.8 L IS and the 500/4 L IS ii, often with extenders both of necessity and curiosity. But then I started photographing wildlife using thumb drive cameras with...
  7. J

A possible strategy for Canon introducing new bodies in time for the Tokyo Olympics is to concentrate on an RF version of the 5Div, upgraded to 2020 standards. This would entail a 40-50 MP with performance similar to the M6ii and 90D and say 10 FPS. IBIS or not, makes no difference to me...
  8. J

Patent: Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1, because crazy is good

Suspect this might be a video lens, perhaps the initial RF lens for video.
  9. J

Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

Seems as if some of you have trouble reading, or even looking at pictures. The lead says the camera has an EVF and the pictures show an EVF.
  10. J

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

I wonder if the next "pro" camera will be more along the lines of a souped up mirrorless 5Div. Something more along the lines of a Nikon 850 at about the same pixel count, slightly more or slightly less, and 8-9 fps and dual or even quad pixel. This would give the 8000 plus horizontal pixels...
  11. J

The first supertelephoto for the RF mount to be an RF 500mm f/4L IS [CR1]

joystick is highly desirable and for three reasons: see if you can touch control your af points with your fingers wet, durty (rain, snow, sweaty, etc.) see if you can touch control af points with your face right against the screen see if you can touch control af points with gloves on while...
  12. J

Patent: Canon RF 70-200mm f/4

For a little light reading while having my morning cup of coffee, I read the patent. Not only does the 58/1.4 patent show two moving focusing elements, but also the 70-200/4 shows it and mentions having two sets of moving elements for focusing.
  13. J

Patent: Canon RF 70-200mm f/4

The lens element diagram shown is not for a zoom lens. When a lens zooms, elements have to move. Ain't no way lens elements in that thing are going to move unless it is hit by a train. Beside, there is/are no jigglator element(s) for IS. Looks more like a 135/2 or 1.8 diagram.
  14. J

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 with apodization filter

This is the same or virtually the same optical formula as the present 50/1.4. There is no jiggle element for IS.
  15. J

Patent: Quad Pixel autofocus image sensor

Yes, quad pixel patents have appeared before. If you multiply the approximately 4 micron pixel size by the 2.56 crop to full frame factor, it comes to just over 50 MP. Sounds something like a 5DS. This could be a breakthrough but a holdup in a pro R camera, say a Nikon 850-Z7-Sony A7Riii...
  16. J

Canon RF 14-21mm f/1.4L USM one of the “crazy” lenses coming next year [CR1]

And a mighty fine lens that Sigma 20/1.4 Art is. But it does have bit of a problem with coma. I own it. May not be the best lens ever for fans of the night sky.
  17. J

Canon defines IBIS as a 1/4-20 tripod screw. And for many lenses, such as a TSE, so do I.
  18. J

The patent also lists a 12-20/2 lens of about the same size. While long at around 190 mm length is not to change during zooming. Key element of the patent is a resin lens element (element OE in the patent) which is placed in a sandwich between two glass elements at the image plane end of the...
  19. J

Patent: Canon RF 100-400mm f/3.5-5.6L IS and more

Bringing up teleconverters raises the question if any of these lenses in the patent can be used with a converter. Note how close the back focus at the short end is. The 100-400 is listed at just over 4 mm. A mistake? The other two lenses are close too, well inside the camera lens mount...
  20. J

Patent: Canon RF 100-400mm f/3.5-5.6L IS and more

The 3.5-5.6 100-400 RF would be 2/3's of a stop faster than the current EF model. 3.5 to 4 is 1/3 stop and 4 to 4.5 is another 1/3 of a stop. Not a lot but there are times when every little bit helps. And every little bit less can help too. I measured up my current model EF 100-400 L ii and...