Search results

1. D

Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon

Ha! How on earth did I get the two exactly the wrong way around! My best guess is because Upper is the deeper (and therefore feels "lower") than Lower (which feels "higher"). Either that, or encroaching senility... I've corrected my original post, anyway. Thank you for your observations - your...
  2. D

Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon

Since I've just come back from doing 5 canyons around Page, thought I'd record my experiences for anyone searching on the Forum in the future for advice about Antelope Canyon. We went in mid-August, so pretty much high seasons. The 5 canyons were: 8am Lower Antelope (with Dixie Ellis) 10am...
  3. D

Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

So a quick check on a comparably priced product - Canon USA store is currently offering the 5D MkIII at $2,300, whilst the Canon UK store is offering it at £2,160, which is the expected difference taking into account exchange rate and VAT, as noted by TallDan76. The 6D MKII still looks...
  4. D

Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

$1,999 in the US - and it's £1,999 in the UK! I appreciate the pound's been going to hell in a handcart for the last 12 months, but it's not at parity with the dollar yet - it's almost $1.30 today. What's Canon got against Britain?
  5. D

Venice Carnival - any experience?

I was lucky enough to go to the Venice Carnival in 2012, from the first Tuesday to Saturday. The costumes were fantastic, but it could be like a paparazzi scrum around each person who had dressed up, with both serious photographers and those saluting with their cameraphones - particularly in St...
  6. D

tips for Europe trip

I would second a vote for something wider than 24mm, for example the 16-35mm f4 IS, because you're not going to be able to step back far enough to take it all in in "old world" European cities - or if you can, there'll be something else in your way. The 70-200 will be good to pick out details...
  7. D

What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

I just have two things on my wishlist: - Wider coverage of the autofocus points. Don't get me wrong, I think the current autofocus system is generally great, it just covers too small an area in the centre of the frame. - Even better lowlight performance - again, compared to my original 5D, it...
  8. D

Flowers and other Flora

A new-hatched damselfly, that hadn't got flying yet, and a flower I can't name. But then, I can't name any flowers.
  9. D

Ordnance Survey Photographic Competition

Out of interest, for anyone who has taken photographs in the UK, a new photographic competition has been announced by the Ordnance Survey, called the "National Map Cover Competition". It is what it says - a competition to find the next set of photographs to use on the covers of the Ordnance...
  10. D

Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

Sorry, I missed this - where do see the "normal" 5D Mk4?
  11. D

Post your best portraits(street, studio, candid etc...).

These are from the Somerset Carnivals, which run from Sept - Nov every year, and originally an extended celebration of Guy Fawkes night.
  12. D

This image may have been photoshopped

Well, it's either nature or nurture - I'm not sure either is a comfortable answer for you!
  13. D

Worked as Wedding Photographer dealing with unprofessional videographer

This reminds me of Princess Diana's quote that there were 3 people in her marriage... If the bride and groom wanted such in-your-face videography, why didn't they just wear GoPros? And why do I think somebody will have already done that in their wedding?
  14. D

Fireworks pics, let's see 'em!

If you like your fireworks up close and personal, try the squibs at the end of the Bridgwater Carnival, in Somerset. Hundreds of handheld fireworks are let off simultaneously, and for the spectators, it's like standing in a firework shower...
  15. D

Rural Landscapes

From the mid-Devon ploughing championships
  16. D

Rural Landscapes

A couple from me. Before anyone asks, yes, the second picture was using in-camera HDR, to help deal with the tricky lighting conditions.
  17. D

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

I think so - at least, there wasn't a body anywhere nearby!
  18. D

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Wonderful photos as usual from everyone. My own small contribution is a different take on the theme...
  19. D

Flower macros

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of flower it is, but I'm always struck by how it has silver buds in the centre...
  20. D

Traveling to the UK/Ireland

It all depends on what sort of pictures you normally take, but I would put a vote in for adding a 17-40mm to your bag - good for landscapes outside, invaluable on the inside, and relatively small and light. With the new 16-35 f4 coming out, you should soon be able to pick up a second-hand copy...