Search results

1. Michael Clark

Nifty Fifty and/or a Pancake lens are coming to the RF mount in 2020 [CR3]

B&H and Adorama show it as discontinued. Wiki probably hasn't been updated since it was discontinued. It was still available new at all of the major retailers in 2016 when I bought a refurbished EF 100mm f/2 from Canon's (US) refurb store.
  2. Michael Clark

When was the 100/2 discontinued?
  3. Michael Clark

I rarely shoot at f/2.8 or narrower with my EF 50mm f/1.4, so the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM is not a step up for me for most of what I do with a 50mm. It's not a step up for a 35mm f/2 when you need to use an aperture wider than f/2.8, either. Stopped down to f/2.8, the EF 50mm f/1.4 holds its own...
  4. Michael Clark

Realistic design and realistic marketing decisions are two different things. The engineers don't get a green light until the marketing department decides they can make money with such a lens.
  5. Michael Clark

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

"Constant aperture" is the far more common term for what you are meaning when you say "fixed aperture", which generally does mean "fixed aperture" that only offer a single aperture setting.
  6. Michael Clark

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

Canon probably makes more profit selling a 6D Mark II than they do selling an RP...
  7. Michael Clark

The only budget prime in the entire RF line at this point is a 35mm. We're not getting another budget 35mm for a while. We'll get a 24mm, 50mm , and 85mm before we see another 35mm below $1K.
  8. Michael Clark

Canon too busy working on "those dumb RF lenses" to make the great EF 50 prime we all need

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ Talk all you want about balance between price, size/weight, and IQ but what sells lenses today is how well they image a flat test chart wide open. Period. End of story. No matter that the best lens for shooting anything other than a flat test chart with the aperture wide open...
  9. Michael Clark

EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

The DiG!C 8 controls AF/metering in the 1D X Mark III in the same way that what was essentially a DiG!C 5 controlled AF/metering in the 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark IV. For image processing, the 1D X Mark II used dual DiG!C 6+ processors. The 1D X mark III uses a single DiG!C X processor.
  10. Michael Clark

Where did you find that mistake riddled quote? The 1D X Mark II has dual DiG!C 6+ processors. The 1D X Mark III has a single DiG!C X processor with significantly more computing power than two DiG!C 6+ processors combined. One stop improvement is much more than "slightly better." It's double...
  11. Michael Clark

What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

One stop improvement at the sensor level requires doubling sensor efficiency. Everyone, including Canon, already have sensors with better than 50% efficiency.
  12. Michael Clark

What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Since every major camera maker already has sensors that are more than 50% efficient, a one stop improvement (which requires a doubling of efficiency) is already impossible. Any improvements of that magnitude require better processing of sensor output.
  13. Michael Clark

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

And I would not agree with your statement, both in terms of the way it characterizes what I said as well as the way it characterizes the performance of the 1D X Mark III vs. the EOS R. The differences are getting much narrower to the point of no longer being A or b, but rather a or a'. The 1D...
  14. Michael Clark

The new OVF PDAF and metering sensors, unlike older PDAF and metering sensors, are effectively CMOS imaging sensors, giving OVF the same capabilities as sensor based focusing, other than accounting for the differences in resolution.
  15. Michael Clark

Sports R: Why not now?

I suspect that a few years from now we might see, in hindsight, that the main purpose for many of the design decisions Canon made regarding the 1D X Mark III were not motivated by the desire to produce the ultimate sports/action DSLR as a last hurrah, but rather by the strategy to use the 1D X...
  16. Michael Clark

Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

With the emergence of OVF based PDAF and metering sensors that are, in effect, second and third imaging sensors able to replicate the advantages of mirrorless while also allowing the advantages of an OVF, only two things remain to make the difference between DSLRS and MILCs meaningless: 1)...
  17. Michael Clark

Who said anything about AI Focus AF in the 1-Series? It's Canon's only previous stab at an AF system that auto-selects AF mode based on information collected by the AF sensor. My guess is that Canon left it out of the 1-Series because 1-Series buyers/users knew how well it does not work...
  18. Michael Clark

The new OVF based PDAF sensor in the 1D X Mark III is for all practical purposes, a miniature CMOS imaging sensor, rather than the typical line sensor of all previous Canon OVF based PDAF sensors.
  19. Michael Clark

For any camera appearing in 2020 or even early 2021, those decisions have long since been made.
  20. Michael Clark

Is the sensor actually a stop better, i.e. are the raw files a stop better? Or is the sensor + JPEG engine (particularly the noise reduction section) a stop better for in camera generated JPEGs?