Search results

1. G

Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Many of us have been waiting a long time for Canon to make a serius attempt at a world class miirrorless body. For me, this is they’re last shot at it. If the new R body is just another stop gap designed by the marketing managers than I’m done waiting. The 1DX Mark III is what a Canon body looks...
  2. G

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM

I was aiming for snarky rather than vitriol but I admit I may have over-shot the mark. I thought the carnival glass thing was pretty clever though. If Canon could just invent a lens that makes people look 20 lbs thinner.
  3. G

If Canon can do a practical f1.4 at a reasonable cost then they should but that’s not what this sounds like. I’m fine with the f2 which will also benefit from IBIS. I think the subject isolation is fine and I can use it wide open without ever having to stop down. Ultra narrow DOF is a parlor...
  4. G

Carnival glass to chase the increasingly tired and played out fad for ridiculously shallow depth of field. But that’s just my opinion. YMMV :)
  5. G

135 F1.8 with a 77 mm filter size. F2 if they include IS. Shorten the hood while you are at it. Please do not paint it white. Who is asking for f1.4? Completely misses the point of the original lens IMO. Did Canon hire Jony Ive?
  6. G

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

IMO there is plenty to complain about. It’s 2020, it’s been obvious for a decade that mirrorless cameras were where the future is headed and we still don’t have a mirrorless body that even comes close to the quality of an EOS 1,5 or even 7 series bodies. I’m sure some people are very happy with...
  7. G

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Seems like Canon’s customers have made it pretty clear what we want. Now all Canon has to do is tell us what we are going to get. I wish they would just get on with it. I’m tired of waiting.
  8. G

Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

Because two card slots are better than one? Or was there some other reason I’m not aware of?
  9. G

Canon announces photographer matching service and Photo Culling plug-in for Adobe Lightroom Classic

And Canon gets to crawl through your portfolio with it’s AI and deep learning algorithms. Sounds like a different flavor of RAISE that you now have the privledge of paying for. No thanks.
  10. G

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

The mountaineering sequences from Free Solo, which won last years Academy Award for best documentary, were filmed with 1DX Mark IIs. IMO those scenes were some of the most interesting film work of the last several years. Hard to imagine any other camera being able to get those images. The Mark...
  11. G

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

As far as I can tell the Mark III addresses everything I thought needed to be fixed/improved in the Mark II. Wasn’t that the point? Sounds like a lot of people wanted something other than a 1DX.
  12. G

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Interesting. I was sure they'd move up to the 5.9K sensor in the C500 Mark II. I guess the processing still isn't there so they went for RAW and higher framerates at lower resolution. Sure, there are some aspects that aren't perfect like DPAF at RAW and full frame 60P but I'll wait for the final...
  13. G

5.9K RAW video recording still a possibility for the EOS-1D X Mark III

Makes sense to me. Basically a c500 Mark II in a DSLR body the same way that a 1DX Mark II is a scaled up c200. 5.9K down sampled to 4K for internal recording and 5.9K to external recorder. 24MP for stills which is a respectable 20% bump over the 1DX2. If it were my project that's what I would...
  14. G

Canon vs Sony mirrorless body

IMO the slow readout and rolling shutter make the R unsuitable for most of my gimbal work. It's a great body for V-Log and tripod based "talking head" video but if you are doing quick pans or shooting moving subjects the rolling shutter can be pretty obvious. The 1DX2 and X-T3 have much faster...
  15. G

Canon vs Sony mirrorless body

I used a 1DX2 on a Zhiyun crane 2 quite a bit and its a workout. Switched to a FujiFIlm X-T3 and my neck, shoulders and back are much happier. The X-T3 is able to do 4K60P the same as the 1DX2 and at a very similar sensor crop size. It's an all around great camera, in my opinion, if you can live...
  16. G

Most rented photography & videography gear of 2019 according to Lensrentals

Glad you are enjoying your A7III but it doesn't really offer any of the things that the C200, 1DX2 or 5D4 offers. It is however a nice affordable all around camera. Sony is just as guilty of gimping the video features of their hybrids as Canon and I'd take an EOS R for video over an a7iiii...
  17. G

What surprises does Canon still have in store for the EOS-1D X Mark III?

The numbers you are using are technically correct but those are the absolute minimum acceptable standards. We wouldn't typically accept original art at resolutions below 300 DPI and we would prefer it to be much higher. All editing is usually done on high rez files and we don't sample down...
  18. G

The Arty and Ari show is all about monetizing clicks and selling gear. Any opinions they offer on equipment are intended to increase clicks or sell gear. It's a business. Edit: Not implying they aren't both good photographers in their individual styles because they are. But, then again, so are...
  19. G

I'm still convinced it will be the ~24 MP sensor from the C300 Mark III. At it's core the 1DX is a Cinema Cam. The 5.9K rumor is more evidence of that. I'm guessing Canon is cleverly tempering expectations with the 20MP rumor so that when it launches at 24MP everyone will be happy rather than...
  20. G

Adobe hits $11 billion in annual revenue, a new company record

Did I prefer it when lightroom was pretty much free. Sure. However, Adobe's subscription model, which gives so many people night-sweats, has created a window for other software developers in the space to offer lower cost "single purchase" alternatives and they've respsonded with some excellent...