Search results

1. F

What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

I agree that the technology has matured to the point where huge leaps in high ISO image quality are unlikely. Given that context, I consider one stop of improvement to be meaningful. The rumored specs of the 1DXIII show the native range expanding by a stop, so I'm interested to see if that...
  2. F

What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Though I'm probably never going to own a 1D-level camera, I'm excited to see how the new sensor performs. If there are meaningful improvements in high ISO image quality or (to a lesser extent) dynamic range, then I'd expect the next iteration of the R (which is something I might eventually own)...
  3. F

What will we do once we have IBIS?

Indeed. Remember when the Nikon D800 came out with its 36MP sensor? So many critical of Canon and demanding a "high megapixel monster." Canon responded with the 50MP 5DS, and of course, the subject changed to something else Canon wasn't keeping up with... I'm still quite pleased by (and...
  4. F

What will we do once we have IBIS?

Considering the lenses have a handy switch on the side to turn it off, I'd expect a setting in the menu would be available to disable IBIS. I'm in the camp of, "I don't feel like I'm missing out not having IBIS, but if/when it is a part of a camera body I choose, I'll probably use it and...
  5. F

Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

Good catch! (You've got some seriously sharp eyes!)
  6. F

Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

It'll be awhile before I'm in the market for any of these lenses, but...it'll be nice to have F2.8 and IS for all three. The compact size of the 70-200 is especially appealing. Two niggles when comparing to my 70-200 F4 L IS, though: The zoom and focus rings are in reverse order. I rarely use...
  7. F

Review: New Canon EOS R firmware

Now that takes me back! Good times... :)
  8. F

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

I'd agree, but many on this thread are bemoaning the lack of 24P in the M6II as a hindrance to achieving the "professional" look of Hollywood movies. For example: If it's not a pro feature, why all the fuss over it's omission from an amateur/enthusiast stills-oriented camera? Why the...
  9. F

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

The gist I'm getting from the "apologists" is more along the lines of, "If you need 24P for professional reasons, you'll have no problem getting a camera that provides it, Canon or otherwise. If the M6II doesn't have it, but you want it, you're not the target market for the M6II. Amateur stills...
  10. F

Yep. The people complaining bitterly about a missing video feature in an amateur/enthusiast stills camera want Hollywood-like video results...without using the equipment Hollywood uses. I also want my next factory-fresh Subaru Outback to have the same "pro" performance as a souped up rally...
  11. F

Fair enough -- the features are open for discussion. And an interesting discussion it can be. You do realize you're commenting about the lack of a feature "necessary" for professional workflow and video timelines...on a camera clearly not intended for pro filmmakers, right? No one is forcing...
  12. F

Fair point that customer feedback is important to effective product development and market segmentation. That said, "pros" pining for "pro" features in a product clearly marketed to an amateur/enthusiast segment stretches that a bit far...
  13. F

Is it not possible that Canon is pursuing the "amateur photographer who occasionally shoots home videos" market? :)
  14. F

This is a crack-up. I must be one of those arrogant photographers because it's clear to me that Canon isn't aiming its M series at "video makers." No need to argue the merits of 24P in professional workflow and production. It's legit for those who need it. Debating it is a fruitless sidetrack...
  15. F

The gist I'm getting from the "apologists" is more along the lines of, "If you need 24P for professional reasons, you'll have no problem getting a camera that provides it, Canon or otherwise. If the M6II doesn't have it, but you want it, you're not the target market for the M6II. Amateur stills...
  16. F

This is an interesting statement to me. It seems to present Canon decision makers as inept, out-of-touch and negligent in their lack of scrutinizing product segmentation decisions. Such a supposition would mean that either Canon's success to-date is completely accidental, management responsible...
  17. F

Great advice, indeed! This is something I try to teach my kids when they have conflict. Instead of getting caught in the tar pit of assuming motive, just make a request of what you'd like the other to do (in positive language, if possible). The other party will either honor the request or...
  18. F

There's a long list of companies that "care about their customers" right into bankruptcy. Would you rather Canon give you everything you want at the price you want for the next few years...and then go out of business, or produce imperfect-but-competitive cameras (and exceptional lenses) for the...