Search results

1. C

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

It appears that the Log is closest to Canon Log 3 on the new cameras. It has the general Canon Log profile but it uses the full DR of the sensor. I would guess that since it s a crm file, this raw video will act like any other CRL format in an NLE. As a note, I saw that the 10bit formats are...
  2. C

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

DPAF in RAW 30p and 4K cropped 60p confirmed. You just can't get DPAF in the full frame 60p modes.
  3. C

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Something that seems to be missed is that the 1DX III does list cropped 4K and UHD modes. There's a good chance that these modes will allow 60P and DPAF.
  4. C

It should be mentioned for the video people- a 1DX actually weighs more than the Canon C200B and they cost approximately the same. Even if the 1DX had RAW recording with DPAF, it's hard to argue that it is a better choice for video than a C200 unless your primary concern is sensor size and...
  5. C

Personally, I use regular video cameras, but I generally have a SLR around for gimbals, or hard to mount locations, or bad weather Without DPAF, the stills camera is mostly useless for those purposes. If the 1dx iii had DPAF in RAW video, I would be extremely tempted to buy it to replace my R...
  6. C

New Canon Cinema EOS information rolling in [CR2]

I wish I could find the schematic photo on whatever forum I saw it posted, but it looked like the current mechanical nd shutter design that Canon has been using sticks out farther than the 24mm flange distance of the RF mount. My guess is that Canon will add an RF mount and the variable ND from...
  7. C

From what I've read, the nd mechanism makes an RF mount impossible on this body.
  8. C

My primary concern is whether any of the new models will allow the RF mount. I am guessing the RF mount would require a complete redesign of the camera body, but an RF mount in a new camera would make me wish I had waited on buying a C500 ii.
  9. C

Patent: RF mount constant aperture superzoom lenses, including an RF 28-280mm f/2.8

The 17-170mm sounds like an 8 grand CN-E Compact servo zoom lens to me. I would buy one.
  10. C

How many megapixels will the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III have? [CR2]

If Canon has become serious about video on a DSLR, they will most likely just port over their programming from the C500 II for a super sampled 4K.
  11. C

Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

The 23.976 is for the pull down to fit into the 59.94 hz / 29.97 NTSC standard. It was the way to fit a 24p movie onto a TV. My guess is that the newer TV's can actually show a 24p movie without any pull down. Heck, maybe TV's will start showing blank frames to mimic an actual movie projector so...
  12. C

Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

This isn't even a semantic pet peeve. This is a dangerous misunderstanding and it is surprising how few people seem to understand this. When a client asks me for 24p, I make sure to note that I will be giving them 23.98p. I mean, I can give them 24p, but they will probably be very unhappy about...
  13. C

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

No, what they wanted was the S1H, which has just been announced. Admittedly, if it was Canon they would be complaining that at was $1000 overpriced, but the S1H is the camera that DSLR video enthusiasts have been demanding.
  14. C

You can now download the manual for the brand new Canon EOS 90D

I think it is safe to assume that the uncropped UHD is going to be ugly with moire and the cropped will look quite a bit better.
  15. C

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

No, that is what he is actually intending to say. During the debayering process, you lose about 75% of the detail in the maximum resolution so a 3840p resolution drops to about 2.8k of resolving detail. Knowing Canon, they probably resorted to line skipping rather than pixel binning which is why...
  16. C

I just looked at Andrew's post on EOSHD and I think I know what he is trying to say. The 90d/M6 are not supersampling their 4K to get a higher detail 4K image. They are just pixel binning or line skipping a sample of 3840x2160 photosites to get a 4K image. The resulting perceived resolution is...
  17. C

30p in a 24p timeline looks terrible, It doesn't work. Luckily, 30p in a 30p and 24p in a 30p timeline looks just fine. This whole argument about 24p in these cameras is ridiculous. If Canon added 24p back to these cameras, would anybody complaining here actually buy the camera to shoot video...
  18. C

Mitch, here is a challenge for you. Take a handheld panning shot of your backyard in both 24p and 30p and then take a poll about which looks better. Or maybe you should pitch a competing network for ESPN because they don't realize that not shooting in 24p is hurting their sports programming...
  19. C

My guess is that Canon decided to dumb down their consumer cameras. Most probably don't know what 24p vs 30p vs mov vs mp4 vs all-i vs intra mean. They just want an easy way to capture their kid running around their backyard. They are also just going to put the camera in auto. In this case...
  20. C

Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II

Canon already has developed their own compressed codecs. They have both Canon Raw Lite and various forms of H.264. The C300 MKII even has a 12bit 444 RGB format that was just as robust as the compressed RAW formats. And then there is ProRes RAW available with Atomos. Canon's weakness will...