Search results

1. M

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

8k movie? - The sensor res supports this: 8 x (2/3 * 8) gives around 43 MPix. Great to downscale from 8k to 4k and have a 4x post zoom for 1080p. But just if this camera is 1000 € I need a 32 TByte storage, a new well powered PC and an 8k display to use the 8k advantage. This is another 10...20k...
  2. M

Laowa launches new 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO for the EOS M

Looks like a very interesting lens but I am now a little bit spoiled by the DPAF which helps a lot in macro when used with servo mode. And I own the EF-S 2.8 60 which works very well with the M50. The EF-S 60 was THE reason to buy my first EOS SLR in 2005 and I was stunned by the IQ of that lens...
  3. M

Patent: Canon RF 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Great focal range for FF for those who are more tele-oriented. Maybe some 20 ... 70 f/4.0 IS L lens will follow which I would prefer: a little bit less on the wide end but constant f/4 and very good correction. Would make a good travel kit with the maybe upcoming 70-400 and a 2nd body EDIT: and...
  4. M

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM

I am Canon user, not fan in the first place and I do not use these large, h, f ve RF lenses but the - at the moment - only small, versatile, high aperture, good IQ, excellently versatile lens, the RF 35 which is not small but compact and light! Maybe Canon thinks that a lot of people who do NOT...
  5. M

One more thing: I like to see the trend in Canons lenses to use a high number of lens elements and a comparatively low number of lens groups - just like the RF 50 RF 85 and EF-M 32. Less glass-air transitions, less reflections / flares hence better contrast.
  6. M

BCN Awards: Canon sweeps the sales awards

I think that DPAF was one of the smartest moves of Canon during the digital age: They started late in the mirrorless segment but the DPAF makes the use of AF so natural - the M50 is the first camera I get sharp macro shots with (strong) off center AF points how I WOULD LIKE them and not how the...
  7. M

And I would like to see an f/2 135 IS STM Macro (1:2 would be sufficient) for those guys who have a (1) thinner wallet, (2) would like an allround light tele and (3) have not personnel to lug around all the stuff. A very great companion to the RF 35 in my opinion. But it is always nice to see...
  8. M

Nifty Fifty and/or a Pancake lens are coming to the RF mount in 2020 [CR3]

I think that a wider pan cake for FF need sth. like two-digit numbers for vignetting. For vignetting the old EF mount needed more distance between back lens and sensor so they had to bend the light at steeper angles which reduces the vignetting. Think about f/2.8 20mm which would be the...
  9. M

I am not shure if you can do a 40mm pan cake on the RF mount which is super flat - I think the pan cake would be more in the 25...30mm range but I presume that it would suffer from an extreme vignetting because the angle of light is very flat for the corners having lots of reflections on the...
  10. M

Yes, the 100L introduced the hybrid IS and the RF-35 has it too ... Because I would like to have a 1:2 wide open light tele, what about the following compromise: RF 85 f/1.8 1:2 Macro (f/2 maybe) STM non-L AND RF 100 f/2.8 L 1:1 USM Macro ? Canon could sell two different lenses and I have my RF...
  11. M

After trying the RF 35mm I think canon has understood what -I- want: A very flexible lightweight lens with very good IQ - flexibility due to the 1:2 Macro and the IS. I would like to see an RF 100mm f/2.0 1:2 Macro with IS as a complementary lens also for landscape, but for closer portrait work...
  12. M

Patent: IBIS appears in EOS M and PowerShot cameras

RF 24-240: The only similar lens is the 28-300 mm which is three times the price and an L lens RF 35 1.8 Macro: roughly the same price like the EF 35 2.0 but with MACRO and is (factoring in the adapter) substantially larger, Tamrons 1.8 35 is 100 EUR more expensive + has NO IS + is substantially...
  13. M

Patent: IBIS appears in EOS M and PowerShot cameras

Same here - bought the RP + adapter + RF 35 as an incredibly good offer and ... included a (Novoflex, I wanted to help the seller to earn at least some money :) FD2RF adapter. One big reason to buy into the R System was to check out how the FD lenses work with a FF sensor. 17 4.0 moderate...
  14. M

Canon 70-200 F4L IS noisy ?

I have none of the zooms / EF 35 lenses you mentioned but the 70-200 f/4 IS mark one and mine is noisy but gives excellent results in terms of IQ. I think it is not very loud but the noise has some annoying components - so it appears loud. My only other stabilized lens I own is - since a few...
  15. M

RF35 f/1.8 Macro IS STM

IMO this lens has deserved more attention because it is ... lightweight and compact has f/1.8 for some separation with good bokeh (= non-disturbing, organic) has f/1.8 + 5-stop IS for low light has @f/1.8 very good center IQ and good corner IQ + has @f/4.0 excellent IQ over all of the frame...
  16. M

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

I think the RF 35mm is much much better compared to the EF-M 22. In EF-M land the first satisfying lens was the 1.4 32mm and I would say the RF 35mm is close in general IQ. Add the 1:2 closeup/macro capability of the RF 35 and its image stabilization it is a great lens. I have used it only for...
  17. M

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

Maybe it is time for a non-L 70-200 f/4 because the RF 70-200 f/2.8 is so compact that a pro will not buy a more compact / lightweight f/4 alternative anymore. I tried the f/4 70-200 IS version with adapter on my new RP and it is a looong lens compared to the retracted 2.8 70-200 RF version!
  18. M

New gear for the holidays

Wanted to buy a 2nd M50 and was two times shortly before clicking the button for a white one @500 EUR. Then came an offer for an RP + adapter + RF35 MACRO for less than 1100 EUR (after alle rebates etc.) and I couldn't resist: Robust IQ in photo and video, great ergonomics despite compact size...
  19. M

OpticalLimits Reviews the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM

I observed the hunting too but only if I use the small focus point and if there is no pattern which allows the horizontal (DP)AF-sensor-arrays to do their phase detect. For static subjects I rotate the camera by about 30 degree, do the focusing and rotate the camera back to the intended...
  20. M

OpticalLimits Reviews the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM

I just wanted to wait with RF a little bit but ... see my post above. And now I thought the same: RF 70-200 2.8 (and a second RP) would make a fast (aperture wise and changing lenses by changing cameras), compact and high quality setup for allround work. The EF-M 32 has the switch and it would...