Search results

1. P

The CP+ 2020 trade show in Yokohama, Japan has been canceled

Yep, its already affected Nintendo and Sony has said it might drop their sensor production for a bit. It might well be the sort of reason we got a development announcement instead of the full release CR had been predicting.
  2. P

Canon officially announces the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

You had me til there; I'd rather take an exact replica of the 24-105 f/3.5-5.6, which only tacks on about 1/2" length and ~5oz in weight to get a faster lens with the same functional macro. Its less that f/7.1 is slower and more that, traditionally, kit zooms arent best wide open. So, it might...
  3. P

Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

If it was software limited to have those specs, it'd be like $50 cheaper, perhaps. Once the R&D goes in to solving the data throughput and cooling issues, it doesnt matter if its 6k30, 4k120, etc...it costs the same. Nikon Df came out without video and cost basically the same as the D800 that...
  4. P

Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Yeah, Im having a hard time believing they released the R + RP without crop-less 4k and DPAF in the RP, and <1 year later, we're getting DPAF in 8k and 4k120 with no crop.
  5. P

Correction: Canon is bringing us an RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

I think at $399 or $499, its still DOA as anything but a kit lens. If I want 1:2 macro, I can go buy the 35mm f/1.8 to get a decently sharp lens with versatility. And if I really want a 24-105 kit lens, I'd buy the EF 24-105 kit that routinely goes for ~$300ish, since I get a faster lens at both...
  6. P

There's a massive difference between "mostly shot" and "a few pickup shoots"...you'd make a stronger argument running with something like Tangerine which was shot entirely on an iPhone
  7. P

Yeah, though with only .4x macro at 105mm, Im not sure you can excuse f/7.1 in any way. The 24-105 STM did .3x while being f/3.5-5.6 and only maybe 25% heavier; which presumably could have been shaved a little just because of RF (the RF 24-105 f/4 shaved ~10% off its EF counterpart). I guess...
  8. P

Im assuming we're looking at similar prices to Sony's 28-70; hopefully not similar optical performance. Its weird that the 24-240 is brighter while not being wildly heavier despite containing more than double the range.
  9. P

Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Yep, how often are you shooting 15mm full-frame slow-motion? And NEED it to be wider than say, the 22mm you could get with a Canon EF 11-24mm attached? A lot more slow-mo work is done at 50+mm anyway
  10. P

Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Either way, the outcome of this is gonna be funny: a. CR guy just got trolled hard, in a way that's gonna hurt if the camera way under-delivers. b. Even funnier, the company whose last mirrorless release included crop 4k, no 1080p24, and no DPAF in 4k; and who offers no 4k mode without crop or...
  11. P

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Yep, if this existed as is for an EOS R camera, it'd probably be pushing the $10k price line. It'd instantly cannabalize 1DX sales, which would also be weird.
  12. P

Patent: Canon RF 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

This, if it was APS-C, we'd be talking a $200 kit lens, which would be weird for Canon to release so far ahead of many of their more natural $500-700 range of non-L lenses. Canon dropping an RF 17-70 kit lens that hits probably $499; and a 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens that hits a similar price point...
  13. P

An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

Yep, they wont even put flip out screens on those cameras, cant imagine them throwing a collapsible mount.
  14. P

Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Especially when Panasonic pretty much just made a full-frame line out of that premise.
  15. P

Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

The 1D line seems to be the one place Canon does that. The 1DXII had 4k60 and 1080_120, which is something that 3.5 years later still hasnt trickled down to their other cameras. If this is shooting RAW internally, even at 1080, that'd be a damn impressive upgrade too
  16. P

Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

And of course, this is what the a7III does as well. At base ISO, this is generally a good thing (especially for Canon who has generally had the kind of resolution that argues they are sampling 900px and scaling up to 1080, let alone producing 6k and scaling to 4k.) Every early test I've seen...
  17. P

Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

This shows a woeful lack of understanding on your part; or, if you truly believe that's Canon's approach, a comical lack of market research for a major company. editing systems have advanced quite a bit lately, so interlacing 24p and 30p footage isnt the end of the world, but for someone like...
  18. P

Nah, I actually liked most of the updates in the camera overall; but negating the biggest reason to move from an 80D to a 90D for me (4k recording) definitely made me upset with the decision. Especially since the only viable option Canon had in 4k was the EOS-R (which is still an APS-C level...
  19. P

Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III is the next cinema camera coming [CR2]

Also, there just isnt any room for a C100 MkIII that shoots 4k 8-bit 4:2:0 and is priced at $4999 when Ive basically just described the C200 (which also has Cinema RAW). They arent gonna drop prices to update a Full HD camera either when that market is pretty settled at 1/2 the price of the...
  20. P

The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

On the contrary, the 1DXII was leaps and bounds ahead of any Canon DSLR for video features for a long time, and still is the only Canon DSLR that shoots 4k60. And it was released 3 years ago. I absolutely believe the 6k rumor, as they'll care about matching what Panasonic is doing with the S1H...