Search results

1. R

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

Almost as if I could pick up the camera and just make it work for me... :) Thanks, by the way. Glad you enjoyed them. More to come. It really is lovely how easy it is to edit Canon files in ACR/Lightroom. Select 'Camera Standard' as the profile and the colors, well, just work. Requiring...
  2. R

? In our first impressions video, I literally say that Canon shooters will have to customize / setup the AF on the camera before use... (because it's not set up be default to easily choose your AF point with your eye to the finder, unless you're used to the old Canon way of selecting your AF...
  3. R

I have never said I believe one brand is at top, nor that Canon should aspire to Sony. And I apologize if anything I've said might be construed as such. In fact, some of my best work has been shot on Canon. That's partly because I've shot Canon most of my life, but also because something about...
  4. R

The directional pad? Apart from the fact you can barely even feel even you've clicked it (forget about operating it even with a light glove), the D-pad moves the AF point far too slowly to be useful. Just because you have 5655 selectable AF point positions certainly doesn't mean you should make...
  5. R

Yes, you did miss it as it was covered in our a7R II review. We make a bigger deal of it now though because at least the a7R II focused wide open in AF-S (so it was still quite good stopped down in low light), but the newer ones don't even do that. That was actually the first camera where we...
  6. R

Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;) Does 87% Gold for 5D IV and 89% Gold for 1D X II indicate negative bias against Canon on our part? We try to be as unbiased as possible, while considering products against the entire marketplace (not just within one brand). Inevitably that...
  7. R

Don't you worry, I will not disappoint! In fact, I'll start right now. Canon's first and default AF mode in servo is 'Face+Tracking', with 'Auto' subject selection enabled by default. Oh the irony... But in case you want to choose one of those 5655 points yourself with your eye to the EVF...
  8. R

Funny that other sites are calling me the anodyne one trying to be diplomatic and apologetic for Canon while Chris is the one speaking the harsh truth about the Canon in this video. Just for the purposes of setting the record straight instead of letting wildly inaccurate assertions live...
  9. R

Canon must hurry up on FF mirrorless, Sony's new A9 is killer

Choosing not to respond to threats by acquiescing to them is not a 'personal reason'. It's a policy that avoids bullying. I have personally made tens to hundreds of Raw files publicly available showing the same exact thing on DPReview.com, and the fact that you won't rest till you see this one...
  10. R

DPreview First impression review 5D IV

Funny, considering I've claimed the exact opposite: that it was actually not the 'perfect' ETTR exposure, primarily because no stills manufacturer even provides you the tools to optimally expose your Raw. I've stated this as one of the benefits of cameras that don't go adding noise of their...
  11. R

Thanks for the inquiry. We're trying to get lens reviews back off the ground but in a totally different manner: in a way that actually shows photographers the differences between lenses they may be considering to purchase for their body. It's a very difficult problem, but one that Roger and I...
  12. R

Asked " nicely" first? LOL. Why don't you go find the original request(s) / character assassination(s) and place it here? Tell you what brother, I do NOT have Stockholm Syndrome. Try and mislead me, and the rest of the readers here, some other way. Meanwhile, I don't respond positively to...
  13. R

I agree with you. But what's not amusing to me is a user who is on a dedicated campaign via tens (hundreds?) of posts to prove that I am pro-Sony? pro-Nikon? oh-I-don't-know-but-def-anti-Canon. With poor/no/mis-extrapolated data. For example, his accusation that I was working on a Nikon...
  14. R

I/we have provided hundreds, no thousands, of Raw files proving the point I've made. Have you missed them on dpreview.com? I am happy to help you find them. If the fact that I do not provide one Raw file because I choose not to respond to threats (you may not remember the manner in which it was...
  15. R

I did, 6 days before your post in fact: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7266455439/sony-a9-real-world-iso-invariance-and-dynamic-range But I'm sure you'll find some way to suggest this piece was actually an ode to Sony in disguise. I look forward to seeing the convoluted logic you'll use to...
  16. R

Off Brand: Nikon Announces Development of D850

Already fixed in an ACR update many many months ago. For years this has no longer been true. Nikons, Sonys all also have an offset which preserves noise levels around the black (SNR=1) floor. Canons just have a higher one, which hasn't really helped them (since it's not added at the analog...
  17. R

Off Brand: Nikon Announces Development of D850

A more objective response might be: because XQD is based off of the scalable PCIe interface as opposed to the non-scalable SATA that CFAST is based on. UHS-II has slow sustained speeds (hence why the Sony a9 write times for anything but short bursts are slow, even with those ultra-expensive...
  18. R

Actually, to suggest that the very few who actually had an issue with my 5DS example are 'rationally' approaching this is what is self-inflating, circular, and egocentric. It's pretty much just a couple of CR people (privatebydesign & Sporgon) who are trying to make an issue out of nothing...
  19. R

Canon 5D Mark IV brings dramatic dynamic range improvements to the 5D line

Of course they don't ask about DR, nor should they know about it. They might see a noisier image, but if you're a good photographer, you don't deliver a noisy image. I was still delivered noisy images from award-winning wedding photographers, and sure I happen to know it's b/c of limited DR, but...
  20. R

Ah, selective editing of text to change implied intent, and name-calling. Tools used often by the rational and informed. I did one better than provide the Raw file - I provided raw readouts of the relevant channels in the sky, & a description of the OOC JPEG, to explain to people that at best...