Search results

1. FTb-n

Canon EOS R5 Specifications

So, will high ISO noise mirror that of the 5Ds, 5DIV, 1Dx2, or 1Dx3? (See what I did there...ok, it was small.)
  2. FTb-n

Anyone know of software to find blurry images?

Yes, I'm looking to pre-sort the blurry images from thousands of Canon raw CR2 files.
  3. FTb-n

Anyone know of software to find blurry images?

My post processing starts with Photo Mechanic to quickly find the good stuff for Lightroom to process. But, some shoots can include several thousand images and I'm looking for a faster way to weed out the bad, out of focus images. Does anyone know of software that can analyze Canon raw files...
  4. FTb-n

Canon again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots

Good question. My guess is that a Pro EOS R must: -- appeal to wedding and portrait photographers -- compete with Sony A9 II -- not compete with the 1Dx3 I think that its feature set will live somewhere between a 5D4/1Dx2 and the 1Dx3.
  5. FTb-n

Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Will the "new focus sensor" be usable in live view -- and will a variant of it find a home within a future EOS Rx? Now I'm wondering more about the specs for the rumored "pro level" EOS R. I had hoped for an EOS "Rx" announcement before the 2020 Olympic Games that would become an attractive...
  6. FTb-n

Ended: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $1704 (Reg $3699)

FYI, Canon may be changing their policy for warranty repair of grey market cameras. I recently had a shutter and a sensor replaced in my 1Dx. While the body was being repaired, I received a notice from Canon that the serial number indicates that it was not intended for sale in the US and the...
  7. FTb-n

Two 1Dx II bodies, two different colors

Update: I sent the body to Canon where they made "adjustments to the exposure control and sensor" to reduce the blue cast. Fortunately, the body was still under warranty.
  8. FTb-n

I used a Yashica Mat 124G extensively in high school, before getting my Canon FTb-n. The 124G is a great camera. The one I used belonged to the school. If it were mine, I would have kept it too., it's a classic.
  9. FTb-n

Funny thing. I've earned a Canonet QL17 GIII rating. I actually have two of these. They are my favorite film rangefinders. Oh, I used the same 70-200 with all tests. It has a Hoya HD protector filter and I did not change filters between bodies.
  10. FTb-n

Using the eyedropper on the neutral grey square for each image will bring the background colors in sync. Curiously, this set the already grey image (with IM1 in the name) to temp 6400, tint 15. The blueish image (with IM2 in the name) was set to temp 7150, tint 10. So the two sensors vary...
  11. FTb-n

I recently did a photo shoot using two 1Dx II bodies, one with a 24-70 2.8L II and the second with a 70-200 2.8L II. To my surprise, the two bodies produced two different colors which gave my some problems in post getting them to match up. Lighting was the same (I was switching between the...
  12. FTb-n

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

If I were to switch from my 1Dx2 to a future EOS 1Rx, I would want my workhorse lenses to be available in the native EOS R mount. This would include the 70-200 f2.8L IS and the 24-70 f2.8L. There appears to be an EOS R 24-70 f2.8 IS in the works, so we are half way there. Once I was convinced...
  13. FTb-n

As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

So no EF 24-70 f2.8L IS in 2019? Does this signal the end of new EF lenses?
  14. FTb-n

So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

I love my 1Dx2 with the 70-200 2.8 II and with the 100-400 II. Low light performance, focus tracking under extreme conditions, and FPS bursts are key features of the 1Dx2 for my sports work. The new R lays the groundwork for more advancements in these areas, especially with over 5,000 focus...
  15. FTb-n

So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

The EOS R is getting slammed for having only one card slot and Canon's response is that it isn't a "pro" camera. Some reviewers rate it somewhere between the 6D and 5D4. The price puts it between the 6D and 5D4 as well. It lacks IBIS, but has over 5,000 focus points -- OVER 5,000! Eye focus...
  16. FTb-n

New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

"Eye AF" in context with "Canon" immediately brought me back to the AF that tracked the photographer's eye movement. I had forgotten about Sony's latest effort to track the subject's eye, which would defanitely be a plus. This implies hundreds of focus points and CPU power to process them all...
  17. FTb-n

New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

I'd like to see an EF mount, but I'm not so sure about IBIS and Eye AF. How can IBIS be better than optical IS? IBIS would need to be digital and would waste potential resolution advatages of higher megapixel sensors. Or, am I missing something with current IBIS tech? And, wasn't Eye AF...
  18. FTb-n

50mm or 85mm?

+10, Great shots. I can see where a zoom may have helped capture these fleeting moments with an active grandson.
  19. FTb-n

50mm or 85mm?

+1 I love the flexibility of the 70-200 f2.8 IS. My HS Senior portrait shoots are typically outdoors and the 70-200 gives me an incredible degree of flexibility to work the background into or out of the frame. This f2.8 zoom also gives me great control over depth of field. Plus, there are...
  20. FTb-n

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

It depends: Indoor events (most often): Two FF bodies with 24-70 f2.8 II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II Indoor "Travel Light" kit: 1Dx II with 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 40 f2.8 pancake Outdoor Sports/Travel: Two FF bodies with 24-105 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS II Outdoor "Travel Light" kit: 1Dx II with 100-400...