Search results

1. J

300mm f/2.8L IS II vs. 400mm f/4 DO IS II ---> price difference

The 400DO II is much improved over the original version. Makes a great birding set up combined with a 2x III and 1DXII. Not very heavy; great performance.
  2. J

Canon EOS 7D Mark II AF Issues

I have had a 7DII since it was released. I have 37K shutter activations. I had some AF issues. I sent it to Canon who acknowledged that "It was found that the internal component was out of position causing the focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the internal...
  3. J

Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon

I believe there was a thread on this subject not too long ago.
  4. J

7D mk2 Auto Focus survey

I love my 7DII but I have had autofocus problems in AI Servo (only use it in AI Servo). It seems that in a burst, one or two frames will be out of focus. I usually get plenty of sharp shots but what happens if an OOF one is THE shot? I took a bunch of a snowy egret this morning, some were OOF...
  5. J

The budget photographer's 400mm dilemma

Forgot to mention the MFD of the 100-400II is incredible at 3.3'
  6. J

The budget photographer's 400mm dilemma

I have owned the 100-400 (first version) and the 400 f5.6 and was happy with them until I bought the 100-400 Mk II. Wow. This is a great lens and delivers excellent images with the 1.4 x III. I still own and love the 70-300L (take it on all trips when I don't expect wildlife opportunities) but I...
  7. J

10,000 Posts for Mt Spokane Photography

Congrats. You are one of a handful whose comments I search out. Always useful info. Thanks!
  8. J

Preorder the Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Now

Re: Preorder the Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Now I often pre-order but this time I'm not excited about the cameras. Maybe that will change when the reviews and samples come out. In any case, at this time no GAS. How unusual.
  9. J

Spartans, What is your profession?

Worked as a physicist, systems engineer, and IT and Info Security exec. I lived below my means when working, saved money and retired early with no debts, no mortgage, no car payments. I live well in retirement with my husband who has no GAS of any kind - just give him books and he's happy. We...
  10. J

16-35F4 L IS, Any good?

Ivan, thanks for this thread; it was very helpful. I had the 16-35 f2.8 and now have the version II but I don't really use it as it doesn't excite me. I see a trade in the near future. Thanks to everyone else who contributed on the 16-35 f4.
  11. J

Lost half of my Canon DSLR

That's awful, Dylan. So sorry. Good luck with the insurance.
  12. J

How to frame a good bird/animal shot

Digigal - this is an example of missing virtual legs/feet. Your image makes me a little uncomfortable because I know this is a long-legged bird yet there is not enough space in the bottom of the picture for the legs and feet to be. It may just be my feeling but for me it's like cutting off body...
  13. J

While Mike Atkinson's tutorial on Composition is very good, elsewhere on his site he talks about throwing bread/food for birds. Please don't take his advice. Bread is extremely bad for birds' health and feeding birds disturbs their natural behavior. The primary rule for wildlife viewing (and by...
  14. J

Jack, thanks for starting this thread. I agree with Takesome 1 that this is one of the best threads I've read on CR. Thanks, PBD, for the LR tips that I didn't know. My pet peeves on wildlife framing are 1) not having room for the subject to fly/run/stare into and 2) cutting off feet even if...
  15. J

Kirk BH-1 or RRS BH-55 Ballhead?

Agree with Eldar on the money one can waste constantly buying, selling and updating tripods/heads. 18 months ago I saw I was on this journey and decided to jump to the top and went all RRS - monopod, 2 tripods and various heads. I have two RRS ball heads, BH-40 on travel tripod and BH-55 for...
  16. J

Show your Bird Portraits

Excellent EHRP! Looks like he's wearing an old-fashioned suit.
  17. J

Show your Bird Portraits

Larry, Islander and Alan - wonderful shots.
  18. J

EF 100-400mm ii vs. EF 200-400 with 1.4 TC

I use the 100-400 II with 1.4X when I am walking around looking for birds/wildlife. When I go by vehicle, the 200-400 is my choice. The 200-400 is just too heavy to carry for long. Now what about the 400 DO II? That might be a great walk-around wildlife lens at only 1lb more than the 100-400 II.
  19. J

EF 100-400mm ii vs. EF 200-400 with 1.4 TC

I have both. I use them on very different occasions. Your question doesn't define the purpose for which you would want the lens. Without a purpose/need the answer is neither.
  20. J

canon 7D2 with 100-400 ii lens with 1.4 Extender for birds

I love the combination of the 7DII, 1.4III and 100-400 MK II for walking around birding. I have said this several times in this forum and have posted shots taken with this combo in Bird Portraits and BIF threads.