Search results

1. J

Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

The 30D is APS-C. If the K437 turns out to be the 90D (APS-C as well), then I'll break down and add it to my bag. I was using the antiquated 30D and 5D when I first jumped into photography. Then I upgraded to the 6D II last year, but I've always wanted the extra reach a high-res APS-C crop...
  2. J

Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

K437 // Canon EOS 90D (80D replacement) Single lens reflex camera 32mp Yessss!!!!! A most worthy upgrade from my 8MP Canon 30D...
  3. J

Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

I wasn't referring to the CF card media gimping the 5D IV, but rather the combination of a dual-media type with one having a faster transfer speed than the other. I'd rather see cameras come configured with identical throughput to identical media types. For example, I also found the Olympus OM-D...
  4. J

Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

I was thinking along similar lines. Although a 2-3 year window between the mark 4 and mark 5 is pretty quick by Canon standards. Maybe Sony's refresh cycle is forcing Canon to react. The articulating touchscreen would be a welcome addition. C-RAW and CR3 are near certainties, and probably the...
  5. J

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

I think the only thing the RF 50mm F/1.2L USM is lacking at this point is a high resolution EOS R body to equip it with. 30MP on the EOS R is no slouch, but an EOS Rs(R) without the AA filter and a 50-64MP sensor would really allow this lens to show its true colors.
  6. J

Canon Launches New Flagship XF705 Professional Camcorder Featuring 4K Video Recording at 60P/4:2:2/10-Bit

Nice camcorder. I'm just hoping Canon will release the C100 mk3 soon and drop some of the XF705 tech inside it. I don't need 4k yet, I'm happier with oversampled 1080p and the super35 sensor. But I'd like to see super slow-motion capabilities for 1080p in the C100 mk3 by getting frame rates of...
  7. J

Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

My implication was that the EOS R was a 5DIV-equivalent in the form of mirrorless, and therefore, would be expected to have dual card slots as the 5D IV currently possesses. Very true - my mistake That must be the case. But given the level of disdain many Canikon DSLR users dished out to...
  8. J

Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. When Canon announced the EOS R I wasn't initially put off about the single card slot fiasco, because I believed at the time that EOS R was Canon's entry-level full-frame mirrorless camera. I assumed that EOS R was simply the 6D standard (single card slot...
  9. J

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

Yeah, I think I heard somewhere that the number of optical aberrations increases by a factor of 9 for every stop of light you add (maybe more for zooms). But even if it was heavier and just as expensive as the 28-70/2, it could still be a viable lens for portrait photographers. I would imagine...
  10. J

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Canon is trying very hard to take all my money. I've been waiting for an update to the 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6L IS USM for a long time. It looks like it may be here soon.
  11. J

I would think considerably less than the 28-70. Probably comparable to the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM III. The aperture diaphragm would be smaller than the 70-200/2.8, so the elements could be smaller. Also, I think there are fewer optical engineering hurdles involved in going from short...
  12. J

I would love to see some super telephotos for the RF mount, and the upcoming Olympic games is about as good of an excuse as any to make it happen. But I think it's also dependent on Canon's R system models. The base R is somewhat wanting for sports/action capabilities. I think Canon needs to...
  13. J

If Canon stated they're working on a series of fast 2.8's, then I'd imagine we'd see a 70-200mm before a 24-70mm; probably just to protect the sales of the 28-70mm f/2. And if that were the case, I'd expect a 16-35mm f/2.8 to provide a bit of overlap for the 28-70. I would also anticipate seeing...
  14. J

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

I would imagine the wider focal lengths of current EF-M lenses would struggle. The EF-M 11-22mm for example, suffers up to -3 stops of light in the corners wide open at 11mm. Normal and short/mid telephoto lenses don't seem prone to the same amount of vignetting, so it's possible that most of...
  15. J

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

It's an interesting dilemma. But I can see the EF-M line being perfectly safe in terms of sales potential if Canon chose to use it as their dedicated amateur/semi-pro video platform in addition to their consumer-grade stills cameras. Canon's APS-C sensors have a diameter of 26.82mm, and the...
  16. J

Canon RF lens size comparison when mounted to the Canon EOS R body

I'm hoping that extended silver tube on the lens mount is a solid block of magnesium or aluminum that's part of the core camera skeleton. That would really strengthen the mount for large lenses like 28-70/f2 (not to mention super telephotos).
  17. J

Canon Speedlite EL-100 confirmed

This is an ideal sized speedlight for the M cameras. I'd love it if Canon would bundle this with the M5 or M6 for this holiday season.
  18. J

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

All in all, I think Canon have produced an excellent camera with the EOS R as their debut full-frame mirrorless. What it lacks for in frames per second compared to the competition, it more than makes up for in autofocus points and AF performance. The fully articulating screen is a huge...
  19. J

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

I think Canon will be in a very competitive position if this is their entry-level ($1,900) model. Even if it doesn't have the video recording FPS capabilities of the A7 III or the Nikon Z6, the 30MP sensor and DPAF will turn many heads at that price. But I'm curious as to what happened to the...
  20. J

Industry News: Panasonic to release a full frame camera September 25th

I could actually see this happening. Years ago Leica and Panny made a partnership to share technology with each other; Panny to share autofocus & electronic camera operation with Leica, and Leica to share optical technology with Panny. It's clearly been a fruitful relationship as evidenced by...