Search results

1. Pinchers of Peril

Lens fungus? Separation?

Hey everybody, I know this isn't a canon lens, but I've gotten good info from this forum before so I thought I could pick your brains. I just bought a Yashica Mat 124 off of ebay and noticed a funny "smudge" on the rear element. I've taken the rear element out and tried cleaning it, but it...
  2. Pinchers of Peril

Multiple exposure portraits

Been meaning to try this for a while. Pretty fun the stuff you can do.
  3. Pinchers of Peril

Ring flash for macro

Hey everybody I am looking for a flash ring to use with my 100mm macro lens. Any suggestions. The main use will actually be dental photography but I'll also use it for fun macro stuff. Anybody have experience with the Sigma EM-140? Seems to be significantly cheaper than the canon...
  4. Pinchers of Peril

Stair trails and long exposure noise reduction

I've never tried to do any "star trail" photography so I was looking for some tips. I know that the 5dIII has long exposure noise reduction, but I know it takes the camera about twice as long to process the image when this setting is turned. Since I'll most likely be post processing the image...
  5. Pinchers of Peril

Just when I talked myself out of buying an x100s...

… they came out with the x100s in all black. I guess I'm going to have to save up $1299. ha ha.
  6. Pinchers of Peril

shooting reverse mounted lenses for macro

Hey everybody, I have read about people reverse mounting their lenses for macro work. I am interested in getting into some macro stuff but don't really want to spend the money to get a "proper" macro lens so I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with this. If so what do you...
  7. Pinchers of Peril

What chopped off my (Bokeh) balls?

Hey everybody so I was looking at a bunch of shots I've taken recently with my 85 1.2 II on my 5dIII. I've noticed that on a number of shots that are taken wide open, the bokeh balls seem to be "cutt off" on parts. I've attached a picture to show what I am talking about. If you look at the...
  8. Pinchers of Peril

What are your lightroom export settings and how big are your jpegs

For those of you using lightroom to edit your RAW files, what are your export settings when you export to jpeg? Lightroom lets you control dpi, size of the long axis of the image, and also has a jpeg "quality" slider. Somebody once told me to export with dpi set to 300 so I have done that...
  9. Pinchers of Peril

Question about 200-400

So I was daydreaming about the 200-400 lens today and something occurred to me. Without the built in 1.4 extender "activated" the focal length is 200-400 and with the extender activated the focal length is 280- 560. So does that mean that since there is an overlap from 280-400 that you can get...
  10. Pinchers of Peril

Canon 40mm pancake firmware update

So I just received me new 40mm pancake from Adorama. I remember seeing that there was a firmware update for this lens but now I can't find the thread about this. Is there any way to know if my lens has the updated or old firmware? What problems do the new firmware address and how do I update...
  11. Pinchers of Peril

Fair price for a used 85mm 1.2L II

First off I know these "what's a fair price for a ..." are kind of annoying threads because there are so many variables and so I apologize in advance. That being said, I am curious what you all think is a fair price for a used 85mm 1.2L II. I am currently negotiating with someone on craigslist...
  12. Pinchers of Peril

For those using Lightroom... what are your settings

First off, I realize this question is very general and there are many variables to it, but I was just looking for some general information. I currently shoot with a 5DIII and shoot in RAW then do all my post processing in Lightroom 4. My basic question is what parameters are you usually...
  13. Pinchers of Peril

"Native" ISO... is it real and does it make a difference

So my friend told me that it is better to use ISOs that are multiples of 160 since that is the camera's native ISO levels and the ISOs between those are just "pushed or pulled" digitally. Is this true? Is there any real world difference in the native vs non native ISOs. I've tried doing some...
  14. Pinchers of Peril

85mm 1.2 version I or II

So I've been drooling over the idea of owning an 85mm 1.2 for a long time but I don't know if I can justify spending $2,000 on a mark II version. Used Mark I versions go for about half the price. My question is, have any of you actually shot with a mark I and and mark II? I know the AF is...
  15. Pinchers of Peril

Canon 5DmIII for $2,199

So I signed up to receive notifications from canonpricewatch.com for when there are price drops on the Canon 5D mark III. Twice now I have received notifications for the 5DmIII for sale for $2199 from Dell, but by the time I check my email and go to the link the price has risen again. If you go...