Search results

1. E

Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights

Great! No way to contain a lithium ion battery fire down in the luggage compartment. Sounds like a really big safety issue to me.
  2. E

Deep Sky Astrophotography

Jon i have been circling back around and working on comets again using the new subtraction functions within the comet align module. I still need a comet integration to subtract from the lights but ending up with faint trails in the comet integration image. Actually windsor sigma is removing...
  3. E

AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else

Depending on the equipment and requirement, canon can add/remove shims (older equipment) and make internal adjustments (newer equipment) to bring lenses to canon spec for afma 0. With newer cameras supporting afma, there is no need to do internal lens adjustments unless focus is off the afma...
  4. E

AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else

Focal is great software for testing and evaluating your gear and potentially useful for afma. However, you will greatly rack up shutter actuations with it as well as hair loss from frustration and not convinced it can consistently give you the best afma for all shooting conditions. Many lenses...
  5. E

1DX Mark II vs 7D Mark II experience

The mode has little to do with afma. It does however impact how the system focuses on various objects. I can tell you also that an incorrect afma can give you very inconsistent results, even when its just marginally off. When it is set correctly, the accuracy goes way up. I wouldnt have...
  6. E

Adobe Creative Apps Go Cloud Only

Ive stopped using adobe products about 2 years ago and moved on to better work flows. Never liked their subscription model and have no reason to be forced to jump on that hay ride.
  7. E

Any oil spatter on the 1DX mkll?

So yes i would think that some mechanical issues could spray lubricant so that was a good call. In most cases, lubricant spots wont affect an image that much and can be reduced by using the built in dust reduction. The real problem comes during a sensor clean. If not done correctly the...
  8. E

So if you are in a good dark sky site and shooting really low light emission nebula, you will need to increase your iso above normal levels above iso 1600 when using the star adventurer. Ive used that mount quite a bit and you are pretty limited to exposures of less than 60 seconds. If you...
  9. E

Im not one to claim im fit but i was able to carry a two camera rig including a 300mm f2.8 on a spiderpro belt system and hiked 42 miles in about a weeks time period through the tetons, yellowstone, and glacier NP. It was not as bad as packing everything in a back pack where your spine takes...
  10. E

Its a very complimentary pair which i use frequently. The 1dx2 gets more use but i can tell you that the 1dx2 is far better at high iso and as such is far better in low light situations such as before sunrise or after sunset...or more importantly during a rain shower. The 7d2 is ok for a...
  11. E

Filter claims to reduce light pollution for astro

I only see a color shift and if he had to bump exposure by .7 then it also is reducing the total amount of light. I dont see any enhancement of the nebulas in the milky way. I done see enough gain here to make it worth the expense.
  12. E

LensTip Review - 16-35 f/2.8L III

No I'm correcting the vignette to flat. You need to.properly expose your image. Obviously if you are under exposing and expect to raise the vignette 4 stops and then try to.push another 3 or 4, you may not be able to do it with a consumer camera. I use a 1dx2 and a 7d2. With the 7d2 I get less...
  13. E

LensTip Review - 16-35 f/2.8L III

Ive used this with astro and the vignette is not really a big deal, particularly when you get excellent stars all the way to the edge of the field. Your alternatives are to crop out the edges anyway when you get bat wings with other UWA lenses. Plus you can use in camera PIC to to cut your jpg...
  14. E

Using the 1dxii tonight. Finished a series of the pleides at iso1600. Tested one shot of m31 at iso3200 and really impressed with the noise visually. Running 40 subs as i type. Im tempted to make a short run 20 subs at iso 6400. Im using my 300mm at f2.8 and taking 45 second shots. M31...
  15. E

Yes it definitely requires a great deal of time and dedication to get results like Jon has. Pixinsight is definitely the tool to master but it takes more than a month to learn the software and unless you have $$$ and time to throw at it, it may not be the best tool for everyone. The rest of...
  16. E

Jon that is a once in a million sequence you got. Really proves that ionized trails are real and visible and not some kind of eye trickery. That might even be worth publishing as individual sequences.
  17. E

7D mark II still focus issues?

My copy now works flawlessly. Had an AF issue early on and canon determined a faulty mounted AF sensor. They replaced the mirror box and performed a complete factory recalibration. I would say the AF accuracy and repeatability is now on par with my 1dxii. One symptom mine had was that it...
  18. E

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III Review - Dustin Abbott

Re: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III Review - Dustin Abbot I've been using the 18-35 Iii now since it was first released. IQ is stunning. Contrast and color quality is excellent. In fact for the fall foliage here I've been having to desaturate quite a bit. The vignette is not a big deal as it's...
  19. E

A Focus Peaking Patent from Canon

As noted earlier, this is already available in the M3 but canon chose not to make it available for other dslr bodies.
  20. E

Any oil spatter on the 1DX mkll?

It's really just a couple of pixels which in most cases won't show up. It's more important when it comes time for.cleaning or severe cases may indicate over lubrication or a mechanical issue.