Search results

1. N

The State of RF – 5 Years of Lenses

Same here - 14mm in my case. Mind you, when I bought the R, I also bought half the RF lenses then available, and now, despite being in double figure with RF lenses, I'm nowhere near that level. Which means I for one don't think RF lens announcements have been in any way slow. Yeah, there's a few...
  2. N

Canon RF 28mm f/2.8 STM Pancake teardown

Heavens no, that's the 28mm f2.8 IS USM. The EF 28mm f2.8 was introduced in 1987, right at the dawn of the EOS system, at $375. However, the point remains that that was more then than this new lens. 36 years ago. That old lens was optically competent, and had a very loud AF motor, and build...
  3. N

Here is the Canon EOS R3

Back in film days, there was an EOS 3 that sat between the 5 and the 1 series. Back in the early digital days, the big question on everyone's lips was "where's the EOS 3D?", and I was only thinking the other day that the time might be right for an R3. Think there's certainly room for a high...
  4. N

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Yeah, and it's not as though there are any mechanical couplings to fail, either.
  5. N

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Like I've said before, I believe the 1DX III will be out for the Rugby World Cup in Japan in September, the R Pro for the Olympics in Japan next year.
  6. N

New mid-level DSLR and EOS M5 Mark II the next ILC’s from Canon? [CR1]

This was being said a few years ago: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039899/The-death-DSLR-Nikons-tiny-lens-swapper-nail-coffin-bulky-old-style-cameras.html And yet it's Nikon One that's dead, and DSLRs soldier on...
  7. N

Here is the Canon VIXIA HF G60

Why? What 80s technology could have dealt with the output?
  8. N

Rokinon officially announces the RF 14mm f/2.8 and RF 85mm f/1.4

Officially announces them? They were on display in the UK last week at The Photography Show.
  9. N

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Hmmm, 2 pro bodies to launch, 2 global sporting events in Japan that Canon are major sponsors of over the next few months.... I expect the 1DX III at the Rugby World Cup in Q4, and the R Pro at the Olympics.
  10. N

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

I suspect it might be released later this year - at the very least, it will be in the hands of quite a lot more testers. Why? Because there's a major sporting event taking place in Japan this year - the Rugby World Cup starts on September 20th. Sure, not as big as the Olympics, but a pretty...
  11. N

Patent: Canon EF-M 10mm f/2.8 Fisheye

I love fisheyes. Currently, I use the 8-15 L, which is just too big and bulky on the M for travel use, so I was considering a third party one - would much prefer an EF-M version. It's an important lens for me,
  12. N

Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out I've got the 28mm EF-M lens, and it's astonishingly useful. Sure, it's not what I would use for live subjects, but that's only a small portion of what I shoot. But a small and compact true macro lens with built-in illumination is...
  13. N

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 & Others Listed as Production Ended by Canon UK

I own - and use - all three. ;)
  14. N

Canon 15mm fisheye vs Canon 8-15mm fisheye

I used to have the 15mm, sold it after getting the 8-15 - only because I don't need both. The 8-15 is full frame from 14mm, but realistically, I use it at 8 or 14/15mm on FF, and around 11mm on APS-C - the real benefit of this lens over the old FE (apart from much better flare control) is the...
  15. N

Older Canon cameras

The point I'm making is a general one, that the M makes FD lenses significantly less obsolete than they were before (as do many other compact system cameras that also have FD adaptors). Why? Because the back focus is shorter than the FD mount, so they don't actually need optics - they're simply...
  16. N

Older Canon cameras

Although there are cheap converters now available to mount FD lenses on the EOS M. I know, I've got one, and as long as you're happy with manual focus, it's not a bad option - the FD 100mm f2.8 is great on the M, as it's suitably compact and optically pretty decent. I absolutely loathed and...
  17. N

Moving to FF Canon vs Nikon - I'm Confused...

What absolute garbage. The 20D had the worst IQ of just about any Canon DSLR - worse than the 10D it replaced. The 30D was a massive upgrade even if only for the rear screen that was actually usable. The 40D wasn't "marginally better" it was significantly better in both operational and IQ terms...
  18. N

UPGRADING 7D to FF Please help!!!

Really? Remember what the OP wants the camera for: "I'm trying to work in the industry of wedding and portrait photography mainly but on the side fashion" The 5D II has been very successful in these areas, far more so than the 7D, and the 6D has the added strength of low-light AF that actually...
  19. N

Just bought a new Canon EF 70-300L IS USM lens.

I much prefer it in every way to the 70-200 f4 L IS - it's better made, has (slightly) better IQ, and much better reach. The only advantage the 100-400 has is the 300-400 range. I personally think the 70-300 L is one of Canon's very best lenses, and certainly one of their best-kept secrets.
  20. N

My First EOS-M Review

Yeah, not brave enough either. Still, got a couple more things to try out - FD and Leica M adaptors. ;)