Search results

1. ajperk

Question re: 17-40L Flare

Hello CanonRumors folks, I recently picked up a 17-40L from the Canon Refurbished store. So far I'm enjoying it, though I have noticed that it seems to flare more than I expected, particularly red and green blotches/reflections. Admittedly, this has generally been in situations where the sun is...
  2. ajperk

Abandon house , Haunted House, Old, Old Buildings

I am really enjoying the pictures in this thread!
  3. ajperk

Post Your Abstracts

I'll add one
  4. ajperk

Abandon house , Haunted House, Old, Old Buildings

Melting back into the earth. Taken out in eastern NC on the way to the Outer Banks.
  5. ajperk

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

A very foggy morning at Jordan Lake, NC
  6. ajperk

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

A foggy morning
  7. ajperk

Post Your Best Landscapes

The grass covered dunes of the Outer Banks of North Carolina near Oregon Inlet campground.
  8. ajperk

Looking for eos-m3 case

Hello CanonRumors community, I recently purchased an eos-m3 and I really love it so far. I am trying to find a small case that will fit the camera plus the 22mm f/2 lens, keep it safe from bumps and scratches, and that could be carried in a backpack or laptop bag. Any eos-m users come across...
  9. ajperk

What's your thoughts: Photozone's Canon 11-24mm f/4 L review?

I suppose it could be a phenomenon associated with vignetting, though I was wondering more about the effect of different types of aberrations at different focusing distances. I believe that Roger at LensRentals usually tests the lens with an optical bench which (if I am recalling correctly)...
  10. ajperk

What's your thoughts: Photozone's Canon 11-24mm f/4 L review?

I wonder if wide angle lenses may suffer from a systematic problem in the way photozone tests lenses. If I have read correctly, they test the lenses using a chart/target. A given chart/target must fit the field of view of the lens to get comparable information across different lenses. Thus, for...
  11. ajperk

Canon Introduces New EF 50MM F/1.8 STM Lens

Re: TDP: 50mm 1.8 MkII vs. STM Image Quality It's potentially just sample variation, but The Digital Picture shows about the same results when you compare the STM to the MkII. They both may have gotten their hands on copies on the high quality side, but I think it's evidence that there is some...
  12. ajperk

TDP: 50mm 1.8 MkII vs. STM Image Quality Bryan over at The-Digital-Picture has put up his first look at the new Canon EF 50mm STM image quality. You can compare it to the samples he has from the 50mm 1.8 MkII. My preliminary experience concurs with what I see in the comparison, the STM...
  13. ajperk

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

The bokeh can be pretty nice. The closer focusing distance has already been quite noticeable, also. (Canon 6D, f/2.0, 1/60s, ISO 200)
  14. ajperk

Review: Canon XC10 With Footage

Thank you very much for that detailed and interesting reply! This is why I love this forum.
  15. ajperk

Review: Canon XC10 With Footage

I'm not a video kind of guy, so maybe more video oriented forum users can provide some commentary: I have gotten the impression over the past several years that Canon seems to be stumbling a lot in the video arena. Every release appears to either be considerably more expensive than the direct...
  16. ajperk

"New" Wyoming Law

I have heard of similar laws being passed in states with large farming sectors, particularly poultry, cattle, pig, etc... In those cases, the laws were drafted and passed in response to videos and pictures of animal cruelty (and other questionable farming practices) that were later used to put...
  17. ajperk

Canon 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM - IS broken?

I've owned the lens for several months and I've never been able to hear the IS sound. Nevertheless, it appears to work just fine. I think the reality is that there isn't a lot of camera shake to compensate for with such a small lens and such wide focal lengths. Put it in M and take a few...
  18. ajperk

Preorder: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

Wide-open the bokeh looks about the same as it did on the 50mm mkII, especially see the 8th sample image. Lots of outlining on the out-of-focus highlights. Second image looks better. I suppose it doesn't matter how many blades the aperture has when you're wide open anyway. Still looking forward...
  19. ajperk

For the same price as before, it looks like Canon improved all the major flaws of the nifty-fifty: bad focusing, bad bokeh, bad build quality (okay, it's still plastic and all, but if it's like the 40mm then it will feel plenty solid for it's price). It indeed looks optically nearly the same...
  20. ajperk

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

If this lens included IS it would be the largest aperture lens Canon has implemented IS in to date. Marketing-wise, they probably want to save this brag for a higher end lens. Engineering-wise, it's probably fairly expensive (relative to the rest of the over-all cost of the lens) to implement a...