Search results

1. B

Canon U.S.A., Inc. Introduces New Flagship EOS C700 Cinema Camera

Did anyone else catch that the 15 stop dynamic range only applies to the normal CMOS shutter? The global shutter sensor's dynamic range is never mentioned. So, it's a choice of dynamic range or global shutter, but not both. "The EOS C700 and EOS C700 PL cameras feature a Super 35mm 4.5K sensor1...
  2. B

Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

After staying away from this forum for over a year I decided to pop back by to see what people thought of the Mk IV release. I have to say this is one of the worst forums I've ever seen. Do you all ever stop and think about the amount of time and energy you pour into arguing with each other on...
  3. B

Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.0L

I don't know where he gets the idea that Canon is the only one making an autofocus 1.2 lens. Fuji and Panasonic make f/1.2 lenses with AF. I own the 56mm and it's great.
  4. B

5DS R pushed 2+ stops

Re: 5DS R pushed 2 stops good point, I renamed the Topic.
  5. B

5DS R pushed 2+ stops

I have a 5DS R rental from lensrentals for the weekend. Yesterday I took it out to the Oneonta Gorge and for a couple of the shots I had it set to -2 2/3 exposure compensation by accident. I decided to see if those images could be saved in post. I've owned the 7D, 5D Mk II, 5D Mk III, and 6D. I...
  6. B

Canon EOS 5DS R With the Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 Samples

Here is a 100% crop from a RAW. This level of detail excites me for landscape, but seems utter overkill for portraits.
  7. B

5Ds/5DsR & Lens resolution - anomaly (Lensrentals ref.)

Whoever suggested you post your concerns in a comment on the lensrentals blog post was right. I'd like to see if they respond. No registration required to comment: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests
  8. B

5Ds/5DsR & Lens resolution - anomaly (Lensrentals ref.)

Another thought. Could false detail be an issue? Here is a quote from the Amateur Photographer review of the 5DS R (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/canon-eos-5ds-r-review/7) "As we’d expect from a 50MP sensor with no optical low-pass filter, the 5DS R gives remarkable results...
  9. B

Review: Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T*

Thanks, Eldar. I knew that comparison images were out there though I had not seen yours. I appreciate the time and effort you spent on this. Now I can see Dustin's point about the Zeiss's drawing style.
  10. B

Review: Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T*

The review makes comparisons to the 50L and the Sigma Art, but offers no comparison images. "The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART series lens is somewhat better competition in terms of sharpness, and (to a lesser extent) contrast, but in overall image quality it falls short of Otus. The Sigma ART is a...
  11. B

Canon Technologies Contribute to Production of Primary Mirror Used in TMT Extremely Large Telescope

Re: Canon Technologies Contribute to Production of Primary Mirror Used in TMT Extremely Large Telesc So, Canon is grinding 4.5% of the total mirror segments and 15% of the ones that Japan is responsible for? This doesn't seem so newsworthy.
  12. B

YN 600EX-RT - my review

thanks for the information. I've been keenly waiting for this flash to hit the market
  13. B

Suffering editing withdrawal: laptop advice needed!

You are absolutely correct that these things can happen on Mac. In my personal experience using a variety of Windows 7 desktop and laptop computers, a variety of desktop and laptop Macs, and enterprise Linux servers, Macs rarely have these issues. They are the most reliable and functional...
  14. B

The key thing to take away from my screen shot was that Photoshop with 3 RAW images open and Lightroom doing a 52 RAW -> 2000px JPEG export were using less than 3GB of RAM. I chose to open Google Chrome with a couple of tabs because I think most people are going to have a browser open while they...
  15. B

Here, I did a little test. Rebooted MacBook. Opened Skype, Google Chrome with 2 tabs, opened Photoshop CC with three RAW images open, opened Lightroom and did a 52 picture RAW to 2000px JPEG export. Here is my memory usage.
  16. B

Okay, here goes...just buy a Retina MacBook Pro. Let me state my credentials. I am not a pro photographer, though I feel like I have some talenthttp://lividphoto.com. I AM a professional software and systems engineer who owns and works from Macs except when I am forced to use Windows when...
  17. B

Post your HDR images:

From Yosemite earlier this month. Fuji X-T1 and 14mm f/2.8
  18. B

Gizmodo reviews the Canon 7D Mark II

Gizmodo took a major quality of content slide a few years ago. I largely ignore them now. Way too many bait-click stories along the lines of "Ten most bad-ass BLAH BLAH", "Incredible, mind-blowing device invented! It makes coffee for you!"
  19. B

Gizmodo reviews the Canon 7D Mark II

No real surprises here. It's a camera made for sports and wildlife. If you shoot anything other than that there are better choices.
  20. B

EOS 6D Mark II to Move Upmarket? [CR1]

It's fair to say the D750 targets the 5DMk3. Look, my progression with Canon bodies went 7D -> 5DM2 -> 5DM3 -> 6D. I loved the 5DM3 but realized the 6D was all I really needed. Canon had 30% off refurb 6D bodies, so I sold the 5DM3 and bought the 6D and a Fuji X-E1 kit with the extra money...