Search results

1. D

Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

No interest in this one. I would be interested however, if a true retro SLR style would garner any enthusiasm from anyone other than me. The specs: No video, stills only. Small body, AE1 size. Auto-focus to use R lenses (and EF adapter), Mode switch for color/mono. Rugged body (less...
  2. D

It’s here, Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM officially announced

Whoopee! Just what we need - another $10,000 lens that maybe 1 in 10,000 Canon users will even consider buying. It's nice to have an optical showpiece, but where are the low end lenses that most people could consider? No wonder Canon is scared of what Tamron, Sigma and others could do to the...
  3. D

Is a Canon EOS R100 coming next year? A budget EOS R APS-C camera [CR1]

If it doesn't have a viewfinder, it's DOA.
  4. D

Canon has discontinued the Canon EOS M6 Mark II

This is great news for Fuji! Rumors of the M system demise may be premature, but the uncertainty certainly creates an opportunity for Fuji to emphasize a robust APS sensor, a mature and excellent lens line and compact ergonomically excellent body choices. Perhaps even M4/3 may start a...
  5. D

Is Canon actually going to launch RF-S lenses alongside the Canon EOS R7?

There still needs to be a replacement line for the Rebel series. The M didn't do it, neither did the Rp. Canon needs a mirrorless entry level product that can sell as a "system" in the $450-750 price range. A two lens package, say an 18-55 and a 55-250 in the sub $900 range might hold on to...
  6. D

70-300L with extenders on R series body?

Canon states that the 70-300L in not compatible with either the 1.4 or 2.0 lens extender. I understand this is because the back portion of the internals extends too far into the body that it causes contact with the mirror. Since the R series have no internal mirror, does that mean the the...
  7. D

Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

There are three levels of APSC models now. Why not with an R mount? Canon is not going to cede that market to Fuji, Nikon or Sony. It needs an "entry level" offering with kit price hovering around $500. Until the supply chain settles down, don't expect to see such models or appropriate...
  8. D

There is still discussion internally at Canon about an APS-C EOS R camera

Canon can't cede the APS market to Fuji or now Nikon and maintain its revenue stream. Polling professionals is like asking someone who just bought a Porsche if he'd be happy with a Volkswagen. The Rebel line is important to bring in new customers, keep a high percentage of current users and...
  9. D

Canon aiming for a $799 full-frame camera? [CR2]

if you look at canon's lineup today, a consumer has a range of kit options from $5-600 to $5000 with multiple stops in between. The rebel lineup must account for some significant portion of Canon's revenue stream, but an $800 body with a $150+ lens or a $100 ef adapter plus an EF lens just...
  10. D

It looks like 2021 will be the last year for the EOS M lineup [CR2]

I personally don't care if the M series lives or dies. I do wonder however how Canon intends to replace the revenue stream for the Rebel series. The SL 1-2-3 series are wonderful and small cameras at the low end of the price point. Hard to imagine a more cheaply built R series than the RP...
  11. D

Proper printer stand/table for the Pixma Pro 100

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html?_br_psugg_q=workbench
  12. D

Photokina 2020 cancelled, the next show will be May 18-21, 2022

Even before the virus, several major vendors had declined to participate. The world of physical trade shows is rapidly shrinking as companies focus their marketing dollars (and yen and euros) on internet presence. Photokina will go the way of COMDEX and other expensive marketing gimmicks.
  13. D

What’s a “realistic” lens that you’d like to see Canon make?

A range of prime lenses for the R with prices under $500 so us "normal people" - enthusiasts, not professionals. No need for exotics, just available lens comparable to the existing EF lenses.
  14. D

It’s been a while, but an APS-C equipped EOS R body gets another mention [CR2]

Canon can let the M series compete at the APS-C level with the addition of several decent lenses. It has the frame rate capability to replace the 7Dii and a higher end M level body, at a higher price point, should suffice. Otherwise, abandon the APS market to Fuji and concentrate on...
  15. D

The Sony Juggernaut?

I really don't care what Sony does. I still have several Sony PC's from before they abandoned them. I'm not going to get stuck with a bag of Sony equipment when they decide consumer cameras are a declining business.
  16. D

Letter to Canon

Like it or not, we get what Canon gives us. I'll give them credit for understanding their capabilities and matching them to the marketplace. They didn't get to be number one by being stupid or unresponsive. There are other choices, with advantages and risks associated, but for the most part...
  17. D

The Sony Juggernaut?

Don't forget that consumer cameras are an ancillary business with Sony. Anybody want a good deal on a Sony PC?
  18. D

What about that EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS from Canon?

After waiting patiently for over two years (since the first rumors of a canon super zoom) I finally decided on the Tamron 150-600. It's a good enough lens that I've also decided maybe Tamron would be a good choice for other focal lengths - the 70-200 f2.8 in particular. Nearly equal optics at...
  19. D

Ricoh predicts DSLRs will bounce back

Today there is no compelling reason to go mirrorless. Any weight advantage from removing the mirror seems to be negated by heavy lenses. Lack of lens choice currently hurts Canon and Nikon - some what Sony also. Micro 4/3 is small but has technology disadvantages long term. New "medium"...
  20. D

xc-20?

any predictions of a xc-20?