Search results

1. YuengLinger

Nik Collection 6, Ongoing Buggyness

I've been using Nik 6.5 since Black Friday, and while functioning has improved somewhat with the latest patches and an Asus z790 motherboard BIOS update, I still have recurring issues. Most annoying is that when opening as a PS CC plugin, Nik will freeze the first time (after starting my PC) I...
  2. YuengLinger

Topaz Sharpen AI and DeNoise to be discontinued as stand-alones

I had a few images that could have benefited from "Camera Shake" sharpening, but this feature has been discontinued in Adobe PS. "Motion Blur," in Smart Sharpen, seems to do little if any good. So I thought I'd give Topaz Sharpen AI a test drive, but it was too buggy to run properly, with tech...
  3. YuengLinger

RF 10-20mm f/4L IS STM

Received the lens two days ago. Hectic weekend with two kids, and my wife working until nearly dark. And this new lens has learning curves for capture and for processing. You'll see three versions of the same shot of the tub, a tub which is not round but oval. (This one's distortion really...
  4. YuengLinger

RF 15-35mm f/2.8 IS USM

I'm a little surprised the 15-35mm doesn't get more love, but I imagine the early reviews emphasizing its heavy vignetting wide-open play a part. Personally, I admit to not using it much, as events have sort of fallen by the wayside for me. But, anticipating the arrival of the new 10-20mm...
  5. YuengLinger

Cleaning a bulbous front element

Now that I have an ultra-wide-angle lens with a bulbous front element on the way, I'm thinking about how I will care for that semi-sphere of coated glass. Since purchasing my first quality lenses back in 2005, I've had the habit, for better or worse, of using UV filters to protect them. Over...
  6. YuengLinger

Surfing small waves

Took the Rf 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 to the beach last month. Hurricane Franklin's swells were only chest high by the time they got to North Florida, but the boys got some exercise.
  7. YuengLinger

On1 Photo Raw 2022: No Longer a PS CC Plug-in

After being a loyal customer for six or seven years, I was on autopilot updating my Photo Raw to the latest, 2022. A huge change was only referenced in passing pretty far down the Info page: It no longer works as a plug-in with Photoshop 2022! Fortunately, they seem to have a...
  8. YuengLinger

Tweaking the EVF of the R5/R6 using Picture Style Editor

Sometimes my R5 EVF (and a little more on the R6) displays with too much contrast in certain situations. It doesn't faithfully represent what the camera captures or what my eye sees. It hasn't been a huge problem, but it does clip shadows and highlights. For example, when composing near...
  9. YuengLinger

Holy inflation, Batman!

Up, up, and away! The price of poker just keeps going up. I remember scolding myself for not waiting for prices to drop when I bought some lenses last year... When central banks issue monopoly money...
  10. YuengLinger

Delays until 2023...Or, Is your gear at sea?

On top of what is happening in factories... It's natural to be impatient with manufacturers and retailers, but we are in some truly interesting times. https://www.yahoo.com/now/record-breaking-44-container-ships-145905612.html
  11. YuengLinger

Whistling Wings Sees Significant R5 IBIS Improvement, FW Update 1.4.0

WW only spends two days testing, but comes away impressed. Apparently the improvements go beyond what CR member juanmaasecas asked for! (High five, Juan!) I'm getting ready to install it tonight. If WW is right, I think stills-centric R5 owners have a very nice update in 1.4.0.
  12. YuengLinger

Questions about DxO Photolab 4

Questions about DeepPrime Noise Reduction...Can it be applied (or brushed out) locally? I've been playing with the trial version and see it sometimes blurs downy feathers too much if they are sticking out from the bird. (Googling isn't coming up with an answer that I'm seeing.) Also, any news...
  13. YuengLinger

UPDATE!!!! Living with the EOS R5/R6 EVF Eyecup

One of the biggest drawbacks, in my opinion, to the R was its eyecup. Shallow, and could not be replaced with a third-party alternative. The R5/R6 marketing claimed that they would have "improved" eyecups. Hmmm, maybe, but not significantly, in my experience. Mid-mornings and late-afternoons...
  14. YuengLinger

Jan Wegener: EOS R6 in The Field!

Excellent insights. Helped me better appreciate a camera I've had for almost six months. EOS R6 - Are 20 Megapixels enough? Canon EOS R6 in the field - Bird Photography review - YouTube
  15. YuengLinger

Is cherry-picked "binning" fantasy or sometimes reality?

Funny this year how Amazon seems to more often have the newer stuff in stock--and I mean "Sold by Amazon." One example would be the Rf 100-500mm, consistently in stock for months now, while other stores have been showing backordered during the same time. Have we ever had a thread about...
  16. YuengLinger

Wafer lenses for phones...Could tech be used for ILC too?

Read this and wondered if someday such tech would be used in mirrorless lenses, maybe to make them smaller and lighter. Maybe to someday make, for example, a sharp, light 60-600mm f/4 that could actually fit in a mini-van console...
  17. YuengLinger

Photographer's Nightmare Robbery

Sad. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Famous-private-eye-Jack-Palladino-gravely-injured-15910909.php
  18. YuengLinger

Suggestions for reducing blue around OoF branches

I think I'm noticing this for the first time because I've rarely shot into trees with a lens that can go to 500mm, and now I'm doing it in all kinds of light. I'm seeing, in the light shown in these pictures, a pretty consistent pattern of a LOT of blue around out-of-focus branches. I've...
  19. YuengLinger

To Grain, Or Not to Grain?

Why do we feel compelled, at times, to add grain to our images? Is it an aesthetic improvement, or a nostalgic connection to film days? Do we do it because it is expected, or because we, as photographers, prefer it? Do those who view our images care one way or the other? Is it an effect...
  20. YuengLinger

Strange fringe on subject in front of Christmas lights (not lens or body specific)

I was teaching my daughter about aperture and depth-of-field by showing how Christmas lights get less blurred out by stopping down. I used her dolly as the subject. I was using a 50mm 1.2 on the R6, but later found that any faster lens on the EOS R body also does this. I did not try on the...