Search results

1. T

Ended: Your favourite new Canon camera of 2018

I own a number of Canon cameras and EF mount lenses, I just didn’t buy a new camera in 2018. None of the cameras on the list suited my needs/desires: that’s no problem, I don’t desperately need a new camera and I’m happy to wait and see what 2019 brings. I just don’t see the point voting for a...
  2. T

Ended: Your favourite new Canon camera of 2018

I’m not voting, as none of these cameras managed to tempt me to part with my money this year. Perhaps it would have been better to phrase the question as “Which Canon camera(s) did you buy in 2018?” That’s all that really matters. Of course, this being the internet, the results and this forum...
  3. T

Optical Limits reviews the RF 24-105 f/4L IS

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1056-canonrf24105f4is Seems superior to the EF mount version.
  4. T

Patent: Possible soft focus EF to RF adapter

Is this naff 1980s effect making a sudden comeback that Canon want to capitalise on? The fact that Canon no longer list the EF 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus in their current lineup, should be enough to indicate that this particular device will remain as just patent application to cover an idea that...
  5. T

The predicted first half of 2019 Canon product announcement roadmap

I don’t know, but this is a 9k lens ;) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754507-USA/Canon_5124B002_500mm_f_4L_EF_IS.html
  6. T

Canon to use a Sony image sensor in an upcoming APS-C ILC body? [CR1]

We’ve heard this rumour before, just before Canon launched the 5DS(R) there was a rumour that it would have a Sony sensor. I remember that everyone got very excited and then the 5DS(R) came out with a Canon sensor and a lower DR figure than people had expected. Cue much hand-wringing and “that’s...
  7. T

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

Again, I can’t see many 1D series users being satisfied with the EOS R, so either Canon are condemning the 600 DO to poor sales, or they are planning to release an “EOS R Pro” around the same time. Regarding your “adapter + Sony body” comment, at first I dismissed this as internet conspiracy...
  8. T

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

If that is the case, then we can surely expect a 1D-level EOS R body very shortly. It would also imply that Canon intend the EF-RF transition period to be much shorter than a lot of people have anticipated. Other than removing the need to use an adaptor, I can't see that an RF mount version of...
  9. T

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Whilst I am not totally again the idea, I would hope that if the 5DS replacement does "go EOS R", Canon first manages to iron out some of the ergonomics and performance bugs. With the caveat that I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the EOS R myself, it doesn't seem like any of the early...
  10. T

It’s finally happening, the PowerShot SX70 HS is next to be announced

Well, I did hear of this one guy called Gary Blake... :)
  11. T

Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Funny how when Fujifilm do this, the internet says it shows how they are “listening to their customers” and striving to “continuously improve their products”. When Canon do it they are “beta testing on paying customers” and “deliberately crippling their products”, then “changing their minds”...
  12. T

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Sure does, baby! But only for the measurebators
  13. T

I have two concerns with the “just use the EF-RF adapter” issue: Doubling the number of lens-mount interfaces - I’ll leave the explanation to Roger Cicala: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters/ No, the sky won’t fall in because of this. In...
  14. T

Interesting why Canon chose a 20mm flange focal distance for the RF mount. I originally thought it was so they could make an RF to EF-M adapter, but Canon News’ article suggests that’s not possible. Is there a good optical reason why they didn’t go for 18mm BFD (like EF-M), or shorter (like...
  15. T

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

Will we see RF mount telephoto lenses released at this early stage? Canon seem to be implying in their press briefings and publicity that RF will live alongside EF for the foreseeable future. The shorter flange focal distance of RF mount offers advantages when it comes to wide angle lens...
  16. T

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

I’m sure Canon has another mirrorless full frame camera coming soon that will be targeted at people just like you. Just don’t complain when the want $4000+ for it, like Sony want for their A9.
  17. T

I don’t think it’s fair to compare an old double-gauss lens design to the modern high performance 50mm designs we see these days. You could make the same comparison between the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and ask Sigma “what are you doing? Your lens is huge!”. If you...
  18. T

Another alternative reading: Canon’s current 30MP full frame imaging chip isn’t capable of 4K full sensor readout and they thought that the kind of people who moan about this are also the same people who wouldn’t be willing to put up an extra $1000 on the price to cover the R&D for a brand new...
  19. T

Meanwhile, over at Lula, Kevin Raber & co. have written quite a positive initial article about the new EOS R system, after years of basically ignoring everything Canon. It probably helps that Canon paid for them to fly to Hawaii and have agreed to allow them to take an EOS R home for further...