Search results

1. dppaskewitz

Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

What the rumor source meant to say was that the advent of the M7 will mark the end of treating the M line as a step child. The M line is being taken over from the Powershot folks at Canon by the big boys and girls who run the R (and formerly D) shop. The first evidence will be the M7 which...
  2. dppaskewitz

Two new Canon ILC cameras appear for certification

Nah, they finally realized that if they are going to make a high end M camera (M5 Mk II), they need to take it out of the Power Shot series. One of these is the fabled M5 Mk II. I'll preorder. Never done that before. I usually wait until I can get my cameras and lenses from the Canon refurb...
  3. dppaskewitz

Poll: What Processing Software do you use primarily? And...why?

I spent the time to learn LR, so LR for the DAM and initial conversion (usually just lens profile, lights, darks, white and black points). Then it's off to PS. I used to also do capture sharpening in LR, but recently acquired Topaz Denoise AI and use Clear in auto for capture sharpening and any...
  4. dppaskewitz

Problem with the communications between my camera and lens, Canon eos m, Sigma 28-200mm macro lens and a viltrox EF-EOS M adapter

I'm betting it is the adapter, not the lens. Way back when I had an M and bought a third party adapter for it. About half the time I got error messages trying to use Canon lenses. Upgraded to the Canon adapter and never had a problem since (using many different Canon lenses on the M, then M3...
  5. dppaskewitz

Import workflow question

Here's what works for me, using LR Classic: 1. When I started with a DSLR, I didn't have LR. So, I decided on about 5 major classifications (Family and Friends, Rail fanning (don't ask), Vacations, Outings, Other). And used those classifications to organize photos in Windows Explorer. 2...
  6. dppaskewitz

Deals: Digital storage discounts at Adorama

For what it is worth, the link doesn't seem to be working...........................
  7. dppaskewitz

M5 now dead?

Sanpete: I had to disable the Touch & drag AF (under the red menu, "Touch & drag AF settings). Now, I'm not moving the AF point with my nose by accident when looking through the viewfinder, but can still touch on the screen to set the AF point where I want it. OneSnark: My solution, such as...
  8. dppaskewitz

Lens recommendations for EU trip

I think the first question is how much time you will have for photography. And how much time you will have to take any particular shot. It's all well and good to have a nice selection of lenses with you, but if you won't have time to properly set up each shot, then I suggest you take what is...
  9. dppaskewitz

M5 now dead?

Well, you all can thank me later. I solved the no M5 MkII problem. Very tongue in cheek. I bought a refurbed (from Canon) M5 with the 18-150. Cost about half what the M6 II would have cost with the same lens. Now no longer needing to fumble with filters, etc. as I switch lenses on the go...
  10. dppaskewitz

M5 now dead?

I am very disappointed and not sure what to do. I have really liked my M5, particularly for travel. Then, I bring it and a variety of M lenses and leave the 5D4 and big lenses at home. I typically don’t have a tripod when traveling with my wife. She has no patience for that kind of thing...
  11. dppaskewitz

All kinds of Adobe questions - Photoshop / Light Room Classic , file structures, importing and best practices.....

I presume you are subscribed to Adobe's Creative Cloud plan, which includes Lightroom Classic, Lightroom CC, Photoshop and, of course, Adobe Camera Raw. Someone starting out may be able to figure all of that out without good books, but I don't see how. I second Mt Spokane's suggestions. The...
  12. dppaskewitz

Speeding up switching from one mode to another.

I have noticed the same thing when switching between modes on my M5. I have C1 set up for "snapshots" (when I want to snap something in a hurry or hand the camera to someone else to shoot) and C2 for my normal Manual mode shooting (again, a "go to" if I am coming out of some random setting and...
  13. dppaskewitz

Canon R&D = very old technology. Evidence found.

I always wondered what happened to that cat. One day, mousing. The next, gone for good.
  14. dppaskewitz

Backing up SD and CF cards directly from camera to portable drive while traveling

When I am traveling, I download from the 5DIV CF card to my iPad using the Canon supplied cord and a lighting - USB adaptor (I use the Apple one - I think around $35). There are two tricks: First, so far as I can tell, you need to import them into the Apple Photos app first. Second, I can't...
  15. dppaskewitz

Arca Swiss compatible plate for M5?

This is what I use on my M5. No interference. You can get either just the plate or also the side piece to have an L Bracket: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/plates-brackets/plates-brackets-cameras/canon-cameras/custitem_facet_camera_model/EOS~M5
  16. dppaskewitz

Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3

The same. The QD was such an elegant solution for the M5 that I had to upgrade from the 6D to the 5DIV so I could get the RRS L bracket with QD for both my Mirrorless and SLR BR straps (well there may have been some other considerations....). Before that, I happily used Neuro's 1" Kirk clamp...
  17. dppaskewitz

New EF-M Prime Likely Coming Ahead of CP+ [CR2]

The new prime is going to be an EF-M 28mm f/2.8 IS STM. No doubt. How do I know? Because I recently purchased the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM to use with my M5 and the adapter. Why? Because I wanted a moderately fast walk around lens that was closer to a "normal" focal length (I do have the EF-M...
  18. dppaskewitz

Hot Deal: Save 15% off Refurbished Lenses & DSLRs at the Canon Store

Re: Hot Deal: Save 15% off Refurbished Lenses & DSLRs at the Canon Store Mine arrived today, along with the miniature one. I also ordered very early after sale started.
  19. dppaskewitz

Hot Deal: Save 15% off Refurbished Lenses & DSLRs at the Canon Store

Re: Hot Deal: Save 15% off Refurbished Lenses & DSLRs at the Canon Store I hope mine is coming today. I was able to use the code on the 25th and got $419.88 off the refurb price. I am also getting the miniature for free (apparently the usual cost is $49.99).
  20. dppaskewitz

L-plate for the Canon M3 found

Here: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates/Plates-for-Canon/M5 That should do it.