Search results

1. A

Rumors are slow, let’s talk RF lens wish lists

RF to EF 1.0-1.4x switchable converter RF to EF 1.4-2.0x switchable converter (ie take that ‘bit’ off the 200-400 and give it an RF mount)
  2. A

RF 1.4x

Many thanks
  3. A

RF 1.4x

I've just received an email from Canon announcing the 1.4x (& 2.0x) RF Converters. Is it me, or are the details a ‘bit thin’? Is this an RF>RF tele-converter, or RF>EF (which is what I’m really after)? I can't see myself ever upgrading my 200 or 400 lenses, and if it is RF>RF, what lenses is...
  4. A

Patent: Dual internal teleconverter telephoto lens.

With the 400/2.8 (II) recently at $10k (now reduced), the 200-400 at $11k, and the new 400/2.8 (III) at $12k, I think adding a 1.4x to the 400 would more than likely add $2-3000 to the cost (never mind the sales price). With a reducer as well, it would still be a bargain!
  5. A

Patent: Dual internal teleconverter telephoto lens.

I would have “settled” for a 400/2.8 with 1.4x builtin, as a replacement for my 400 mk II. The 200-400 is too slow for some of the events I cover. If a reducer could be added, enabling 280(?) f/2, that would be absolutely mind-blowing! $20k or thereabouts, but worth every penny...
  6. A

EG-E1 and Canon RP battery door

Just to clarify - there are two versions of "the manual": the basic "Instruction Manual", a paper guide that may be included with your camera (?) & and the "Advanced User Guide" (612 pages), which is download only. Regrettably, it seems that you have to read the manual to work this out... ...
  7. A

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

My 2c, given only 48 hours with the camera. It's a great purchase for the money: full frame, native EF lenses and smaller than my SL1, which is now "officially" retired! The good: as above; Accurate AF; EVF is not noticeably 'E', until... see below The bad: EVF - not bright enough outdoors...
  8. A

Is an RF 135mm f/1.4L USM in development? [CR1]

While I’d love to see a 135/1.4, my priority is definitely for (lens) IS, with this type of lens. In my opinion, the 85/1.4L blows away the 1.2L for at least 98.7% of shots (approx...), if only because more of them are in focus! In fact, I made a decision to sell my 1.2 (for a loss) within 24...
  9. A

DO Lenses - Sharpness issues in the cold?

I took a 4-hour walk in -20C a couple of years ago, can't remember which lens (but not DO), but everything appeared to come out sharp. I do recall the camera (6D) couldn't autofocus on occasions because of the cold. However, with the shorter focal lengths this issue may not have been obvious to me.
  10. A

Off Brand: Sony 36mp full frame sensor capable of 4K at 480fps leaks

+1 I think there is potential for a very interesting learning curve! Ready to order...
  11. A

85mm: Which one to buy used now to hold value for resale when RF comes out?

I would second the advice for the Canon 85/1.4L - the IS makes it much more usable than the 1.2L (version II), which I recently sold for a big loss... In real world shooting, I couldn't see a significant difference in quality between the two. The 85 lives on my 5D4 full time, and as for pairing...
  12. A

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Probably a bit late, but... The 400 with the 1.4x is very usable (both day & night at the Dubai 7s & various athletics meets) With the 2X, the focussing was just a little bit too slow = more misses than I would have liked, so stopped experimenting. F/4 was about as slow as I would have liked...
  13. A

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

It's one of the essential features using the 1DX with the 'right' lens: can't see why (apart from marketing) that it's not on the 5D4. I realise that the 1-series outgun everything, but can't see why the 5-series doesn't have all the software/menu options that exist? Sometimes pros need a...
  14. A

Existing EF lenses on mirrorless

Unlikely, but may well be a good idea that FF mirrorless is the same size as DSLR. They definitely won't have 2 different styles supporting EF lenses. I'm not currently on the R&D distribution list, so just my 2c.
  15. A

Existing EF lenses on mirrorless

I like the elegance, or is it inevitability (?), of the Nikon solution for existing F-mount lenses on the Z-mount bodies. Maybe I’m being oversimplistic, but wasn't this the only obvious method? "Of course Canon will stick with EF lenses on mirrorless" is often quoted/prayed for, but how...
  16. A

Photography Websites For Selling and Storing Pics

If you have the ability to host your own server (or VM) then this might be worth a trial... I use Koken software to host a couple of my sites. This is (currently) free, but does not seem to be actively developed? The interface (for admin) is similar to Lightroom, upload seems to be slow, but...
  17. A

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

Having never posted here before??? My two-lens/two-body/two-bag (sports) travel bag (can I also include the 1.4X...) 5D4 with 400/2.8L 1DX with 135/2L (please make an IS like the 85...) That's a really effective combo, especially when considering the body switch as well.
  18. A

My 'I'm not taking a camera bag or a camera' 2-lens setup: 100D (SL1) with EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS EF-S 24/2.8 (if I need something more discrete: also never used!)
  19. A

My (travel) 2-lens bag: 5D4 with 85/1.4L (fitted) 40/2.8 pancake (never used!)
  20. A

NAS storage advice

I'm not a very regular contributor here, but have been messing with most of these issues for over 15 years, with NAS, bandwidth, backup and access issues. [list type=decimal] There's always a risk of hardware failure The network is never fast enough You will always run out of space/speed on...