Search results

1. T

6dmk2 with 5dmk4 sensor; should we pay more for it?

Yes shocking. But you miss the fact I think the 5D IV is over priced for its features. It feels like i am hyperextending my thumb when using my 7D II so i really do not like the Ergos. I have no problem with the thumb stick it is just in a bad position for my hand. The 5D IV is a good camera...
  2. T

I do not like the size of the 5 series bodies. But I think that if the 5D iV had a flip screen and true 4K support it would look much more attractive to me. But I would still have a hard time pulling the trigger on a camera that truly does not fit my hands. If they put all the features of...
  3. T

True in hindsight but the do not forget the A7II was released in Nov 2014 and the A7rII was released June 2015. So it is very likely the A7II had the best available at the time. The A7II also did not autofocus in continuous mode with Canon cameras but they corrected that late 2015 in a...
  4. T

Analysis of RAW samples at Fred Miranda show weak DR

I think that the Sony Cameras would struggle with that as well. I would suggest you check out the Magic Lanterns Dual ISO hack. Before you get to hung up on the DR discussion. There are simply times where no camera has enough DR. There are also times when you need to be at ISO 3200. Believe...
  5. T

How important are the caveats relative to new camera specs?

Usual the biggest caveat is the person behind the camera. I remembering reading a 1 star review on Amazon for the 7D II. The person wanted the best crop camera they could buy. Bought it and the best lenses available and could not get a picture in focus. Claimed his 5 year old Rebel was far...
  6. T

Hands on Field Test of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

I agree they seem to be making too many camera models for a shrinking market. All these different models have associated R&D cost. I think that there would be far more savings in the R&D if they were making fewer camera models. For this reason I think no more than 3-4 Crop DSLR Canon Models...
  7. T

First of all I have a full set of full frame lens for Canon. I have just been using them on a Sony camera since last year when I sold my 6D. I also have the EFs 15-85 so unless I am getting STM for video I do not need any mid focal range Canon Lens. The 16-35f4 L IS destroys the image quality...
  8. T

Headed to Belize -- gear advice / locations appreciated

On Ambergris they are somewhat use to tourist and cameras. But there are still local groups that have superstition towards cameras taking their soul. So I would ask before taking the pictures of local people. You do not want to be chased by an angry Carib wielding machette wanting to destroy...
  9. T

I think that is my main complaint. It is too much a FF 80D. It has the exact same autofocus sensor. So it does not have good coverage for full frame. There have been no improvement in the Video Codec side and the 6D2 has (supposedly worst video than the 6D.) I find the lack of USB3 and...
  10. T

6D owners, are you upgrading?

I sold my 6D a year ago in anticipation of the 6D II. I decided that my Sony A7II worked well enough that the 6D was redundant. I had just bought a Canon 7D II for wildlife so the 6D was not seeing much use. The A7II had a wider array of focus point than the 6D, and a faster shutter. Given...
  11. T

80D Single-Point vs. 6D Single-Point?

On paper. In practice I found the 6D out performed my 60D on just about every focus point. Focused faster and just as accurate. In end it the image quality was just plan better on the 6D. If the camera had a weakness it was in focus point spread, 1/4000 s shutter and no tilt screen.
  12. T

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

Are you serious I cannot remember the last time I shot any serious landscape not on a tripod in live-view. Normally this is with the histogram for reference. I like low angles and do not use a OVF or EVF on any of my cameras when shooting landscape. I have also found that the camera JPG...
  13. T

All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming

XQD Version 2 is based on PCI Express 3.0 and CFExpress is based on PCI Express 3.0? Convergence, I suspect XQD will die or get a card converter. Or exist in only very compact cameras in CFExpress does not fit. Personally I think that we could perhaps move away from cards all together and put...
  14. T

Sony a9 Mirrorless Camera Now Available for Preorder

I have not a chance to checkout the A 9 but I can add a little to the argument. For me the Canon 5D bodies are hideously large. I can not even imaging how bad the ergonomics are on a 1D body. Note as much as ergonomics gets thrown around you need to keep in mind they are a function of your...
  15. T

New 5DSR Vs. refurbished.

I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished 5DSR from the Canon store if I was in the market for one. But I would wait for one of their sales. I bought a 7D II from them and it was in new condition. Still had all the original protective plastic covers. It came with new battery, charger and...
  16. T

Infographic: Camera Industry Sales Facts for 2016

Nearly every store on that list failed because of a failed business model. As soon as cameras became electronics devices camera companies started selling them as electronics. So they failed because they were not able to move their merchandise fast enough. This is the same reason Circuit City...
  17. T

10 great things about the upcoming 5D Mark V

A huge chorus of disappointment and rage. It will be only a token upgrade to the Canon 5D IV and they will remove the CF card interface. But I agree with makguyver
  18. T

New Member with 5D MK III Streaks in Image

I was going to make the same suggestion. You should also mention software being used to view the image. I have seen strange artifacts related to image scaling in the past. It is also good practice to reset the camera to factory default.
  19. T

New Member with 5D MK III Streaks in Image

What are you trying to take a picture of? Is it on the other side of glass? Is it under what lighting. I only ask because it looks like a computer or TV screen if so then the polarization film on the screen could cause these effects.
  20. T

Grainy images from my 5D MK IV?

You are at ISO 5000 which is likely ISO 3200 pushed or ISO 6400 pulled down. There will be grain. With the 6D and 5D III there would have been actual color noise. The color noise was easy to get rid of but grain will just be there. The grain looks like it is the actual noise in the signal...