Search results

1. Kernuak

Kilve Shoot

I did a shoot on Saturday at one of my landscape photography haunts. I've wanted to do some portraits there for a while. The lighting wasn't the best and the wind prevented off-camera flash, so I opted for natural light (even though the woodland shots needed ISO 6400). Here is a selection from...
  2. Kernuak

Portrait Shoot

Not something I normally shoot, but I've found it unexpectedly enojyable lately, especially when I've been stuck in a bit of rut. Here are some portraits from the weekend, playing around with some ideas. _F1A6925 by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr _F1A6855 by Kernuak...
  3. Kernuak

Around Inari, Finland

Last week, I was lucky enough to visit Northern Finland. It started off fairly mild at -5 C with snow, but then got progressively colder to -28.5 C on the last night. While I was there, there was a good display of the Northern Lights and I even managed to get a few landscapes. Lake Inari...
  4. Kernuak

Timelapse of the Aurora in Finland

I thought I'd post my first real attempt at a timelapse video (apart from the first test version). Some of the sequences are a bit short, but I hope it gives some sense of the beauty of the Northern Lights. Inari Aurora
  5. Kernuak

Somerset Levels in Flood

A couple of weeks ago, the southwest of England had a huge amount of rain in a few days, leading to widespread flooding. The Somerset Levels were particularly badly hit and some roads are still closed. While the Levels have been greatly modified by humans over the centuries and are designed to...
  6. Kernuak

Aurora and Milky Way in Scotland

During my last trip to Scotland, I was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights. They weren't as bright as in Norway last year, but for so far south, it was a good viewing. I then had to try my hand at some astrophotography of the Milky Way. Not perfect by any means, but probably the best I could...
  7. Kernuak

Red Squirrels and other Scottish Wildlife

I've spent well over four years trying to get a half decent shot of a red squirrel, but after my last trip to Scotland, I have more than I know what to do with. I also managed to photogarph another iconic species, the mountain hare, as well as a treecreeper. Red Squirrel Eating Hazlenut by...
  8. Kernuak

Loch Leven

On the return trip from Scotland, I stopped over at Loch Leven for a couple of nights, with some mostly dry, but slightly unsetteld weather. At breakfast on the day I was due to leave, I had to dash out to get the mist as it rolled in. Rainbow over the Pap by Kernuak...
  9. Kernuak

Glencoe

Last week, I made one of my regular trips to Scotland, near Inverness. One of my stopovers on the way up was at the spectacular Glencoe and for once, the weather was favourable, although it was overcast at dawn when for my planned trip to Buachaille Etive Mor, so I waited until later, when it...
  10. Kernuak

West Somerset Railway

A few portraits from the shoot on Sunday. Hattie on Bogie by Kernuak, on Flickr Hattie Closeup by Kernuak, on Flickr Lucy in a Carriage by Kernuak, on Flickr
  11. Kernuak

AF Point Selection Oddity on 5D MkIII with 100mm Macro

I've found an oddity with the AF on the 5D MkIII. For a couple of weeks, I've been scratching my head over how I would select the outer points when using single point focus. After playing around this afternoon, I have found that if I select only the 41 most sensitive points, I can only select...
  12. Kernuak

Wells Cathedral

Probably among the smallest of the world's cities, Wells, Somerset, in the southwest of England has quite a spectacular cathedral. Wells Cathedral by Kernuak, on Flickr Clouds over Wells Cathedral by Kernuak, on Flickr
  13. Kernuak

Outside my Comfort Zone

I don't often do portrait photography, but I had a couple of attempts last year. I also don't go in for a lot of post processing work either, but I spent a bit more time than usual on these. Brooding_lo-res by Kernuak, on Flickr Looking up at You by Kernuak, on Flickr
  14. Kernuak

Northern Lights and Northern Norway

A few weeks ago, I had a trip to Northern Norway to see and try to photograph the Northern Lights. Of course, that meant I "had" to buy a new lens, as I didn't have a fast wideangle. Since its release, I'd been looking at the 24mm L f/1.4 II, but I couldn't decide whether to get that lens or the...