Search results

1. samthefish

5D3 wireless photo transfer options...

I might be wrong but I don't think the 5D3 firmware has a way to selectively copy photos to the SD card, if so your method would work with eye-fi. When eye-fi is powered on and within range of the wireless lan you have it configured with it will attempt to copy any .jpg that hasn't been synced...
  2. samthefish

Video with drone and Canon EOS 1DC

Quite impressive! Love the closeup of the truck.
  3. samthefish

Post Your Best Landscapes

Old Orchard Beach Maine
  4. samthefish

5D Mark III sensor cleaning noise (squeaks)

It's the mouse that does the cleaning complaining.
  5. samthefish

Lasers Can Damage Your Sensor

http://www.laserist.org/camera-sensor-damage.htm
  6. samthefish

Possible to connect 1Dx direct to laptop without needing a router/switch?

The Gig-E specification has a feature called Auto-MDIX which detects your cable and configures it to connect to either a router or straight-through, so if it adheres to the specification no crossover cable is needed. I'm a networking engineer in my real life and use Gig-E in this configuration...
  7. samthefish

Some Animals!

7D + 70-200 IS II
  8. samthefish

Some Animals!

This bunny was startled by the other and hopped up in the air...
  9. samthefish

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots If nothing else you have to buy it for the "Shorty Forty" name (and $200 price tag).'' I would like it to be a little faster but 2.8 does the trick most of the time.
  10. samthefish

Which 3 Primes to go for. Your advice will be appreciated

The 100MM 2.8L Macro IS is a great lens, and with its macro capability you can get some great (and unusual) shots. It has very good IS and IQ. I have the 85mm 1.8 and borrowed the 85mm 1.2L from Canon to see if it would be worth the upgrade. While the $2K 1.2L is a great lens it actually has...
  11. samthefish

Is this heresy?

I have the 7D and the X10 and a 5DMKII. My recommendation would be the 7D, I think it's an incredible value considering the solid construction and features, great AF, etc. My 11 year old daughter wanted to learn about photography so I set her up with my old rebel and spent an hour explaining...
  12. samthefish

Advice: On buying 5D3.

SamTheFish I think you are talking about the 24-105L kit lens? Yes, I meant the 24-105L. I also have the 28-135 and it's OK on a crop sensor but crappy on a full frame.
  13. samthefish

Advice: On buying 5D3.

I have a 7D and similar set of glass as yours. Spending $3.5K for 5D3 wasn't in the cards so I bought a used 5D2 2 weeks ago for $1500. Comparing 7D to 5D2 my impressions were: - Wow, AF on 5D Mkii is pretty bad compared to 7d. Slower, with fewer focus points. - Build quality on 5D Mkii is...
  14. samthefish

canon recalls shipment of 5d iii

I ordered a body from J&R on the 9th, website said it was expected to ship on the 11th. Nothing shipped yet as of the 13th. If I find out anything from them I'll post it.
  15. samthefish

Best 5d3 custom function AF point selection quick!

Well learn something new every day. I have the 7D and was wondering why people made a big deal about AF point selection because it seemed too cumbersome to use for me. This seems like the way to set it.
  16. samthefish

ETTL vs Manual for fill flash

I've been experimenting with off camera flash for fill flash in outdoor portraits and have been getting inconsistent results - wondering if anyone could share a workflow that works for them. My setup - 7D. 580exII, 2x430 exII. Have both a softbox and umbrella. What I've been trying is...
  17. samthefish

Kitty

Love the battle scars on the Lion - he's been in a few fights! Not like the prissy zoo lions.
  18. samthefish

Kitty

And here's Walter with Lulu the dog. Kinda grainy, at ISO 3200.
  19. samthefish

Kitty

Walter my cat.
  20. samthefish

5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?

When I was in Boston last week strolled by the studio of a photographer http://www.cherylrichards.com Her stuff looked great through the window (was evening and closed) and I saw she had photographed weddings of Matt Damon, Matt Lauer, and some other well known people. Objectively she looks...