Search results

1. B

Remote shooting and Eye tracking with the R5. Experiences and any advice on how to make it work better?

Hi, I've had my R5 for a few weeks now and was thrown in at the deep end by (at least) two kingfishers coming very regularly to my garden pond. They started coming very early in the morning where there was almost no natural light at all, but that gace me a chance to practice, shooting at down to...
  2. B

Low Light, Misty Weather. Processing techniques

Hi, currently, every morning around 7 AM these two Kestrels mate. Weather today was slightly misty, just around sunrise time. 5DMK4, EF 500 + 1.4x extender, ISO 5000, 1/180th Sec at f/5.6. Anyone have any tips on how to process for better results? Kestrels by Diane and Brian Dorling, auf...
  3. B

Lighting for Macro Photography

Hi, I've lately been trying to do some Macro Photography, Canon 5DIV and EF 100 f/2.8 Macro lens. I have a dead Dragonfly that I am using as a subject. Currently I have a cheap light tent with two daylight Lamps outside of it. I'm also using three flexible LED lamps to light the subject from...
  4. B

Focus Stacking etc. with the 5Dmk4

HI, I have been using DSLR Controller fairly successfully with my 5Dmk3, for remote shooting and to do focus stacking. Although some features of DSLR Controller seem to work, up till now I could not correctly take a single photo with my 5Dmk4 and have it stored on the Camera, I have contacted...
  5. B

Problems using CF Cards on 5Dmk4: Solved

HI, hit a small problem yesterday evening with the 5Dmk4. Put the CF card in my computer card reader and it was not recognized, LR was in a bad way, and the disk drive did not show up in explorer. Multiple attempts, reboots etc. no joy. If I go into Computer management, then the process is hung...
  6. B

7D MKII and EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Autofocus

Hi I wanted to open a thread to discuss this. I have a few issues with the AF performance of above equipment (as I also had when I got my 5D MK3 too), so please bear with me. The 5D and Lens went to Canon to be calibrated and checked out and were found to be OK. I have done AMFA calibartion of...
  7. B

Scratched Sensor

Hi, my weekend was slightly ruined on Saturday. Canon does free Cleaning and Checking at a local Wildlife Photo Annual Meeting, and as usual I handed in my 5D MK3 to be cleaned. When I got it back I was told it had not been cleaned as the sensor is scratched. Putting fluid on it could make the...
  8. B

Long exposure questions on 5D MK3

Hi, I've been trying a few long exposure shots lately, mainly nighttime photos and a few questions came up where I'm not sure about the correct answers. Please bear with me if they seem bleeding obvious to you :-[ 1. Talking to a guy with a 6D, he assured me that on the 6D that auto lighting...
  9. B

Strange effect using 5D3 and 16-35 f/2.8L II

Hi, just wondering about how this happened? See the strange effect that the leaves have in the middle where the blue sky is the background, like chromatic aberation, but in light Blue I wasn't shooting into the sun, but it was a very bright day, taken late afternoon. I couldn't get rid of it...
  10. B

Photoshop help required: LAB

Hi, I'm trying to do something pretty simple, as usual I can't get it to work. While working on a picture in LAB mode, I turned off the "A" channel, and it was a pretty nice effect. So I thought, I'd like to save a version of this picture with those colours, unfortunately that doesn't seem to...
  11. B

Avian Pox and other Illnesses

Hi, pretty gruesome I know but I have a few new shots of a great tit in my garden that has the Avian Pox. Any donations made I will surely pass on for his medical bills.......... As if life isn't hard enough already. Poor thing? Cheers
  12. B

Its official now. The new EF 100-400 from Canon is on its way! *** FAKE ****

This is irrefutable. Why? Cos I finally gave in and bought a new 100-400 today. I had tried one that belongs to a colleague, and wasn't too happy with it. But my new copy works pretty well. Pretty poor light here today but still happy with the results at ISO4000+ on my 5D MK3. Shot at about...
  13. B

My (seemingly) never ending Focus woes ... BIF advice needed

Hi, though I would start a new thread for this after hijacking this one a while ago: . I'm trying to work methodically through the various AF settings as I could never get AF to work well with BIF (Birds in Flight) in my garden. So please bear with me. For my tests I stood by the side of the...
  14. B

Bracketing feature request. Or did I miss something?

Hi, I brought back 30GB of pics from 2 weeks holiday in the UK. Many were bracketed shots. Its been a pain in LR to sort them out into groups containing the different exposures for a single "scene". I know LR can stack them according to time, I wasn't too taken with that feature. But I will...
  15. B

LR noise reduction in comparison to DPP

Hi, I have a 5DIII and posted a few times lately that I am not happy with the noise visible in shots that are dark or underexposed. Underexposed especially as I took a lot of bracketed shots on my last vacation so many are at -2, -1.5 or -0.5EV. Also bought LR a few weeks ago and am busy trying...
  16. B

Problems with Noise in Dark Areas

Hi, I have read a bit about this problem, but dont really understand why it is happening in some cases. Take the picture below (just a part of it). That was created from 3 RAW files at -1.5, -0.5 and +0.5EV. Its the red pixel noise in the tree that is disturbing. None of the original pictures...
  17. B

Can I save this shot in PP?

Hi, driving along early one morning and saw this shot, lots of low mist in the fields. I was hurried as where I parked was not ideal. Anyway I took some bracketed shots, from -2, -1.5, -1, -0.5 and +/-0. But, at F9.5, the sun is blown out in all five shots. I guess using F22 would have helped...
  18. B

Doctor, My Eyes..........

Saw this poor fellow flapping around this morning, must have "hatched" late yesterday or during the night. I guess he's not going to make it. 5DMK3 EF100 L F2.8 IS, F13 ISO400 4secs.
  19. B

Using Remote when shooting Movies on a 5D MKIII

Hi, bought a Haehnel Giga T Pro RC unit which works well taking stills, but I haven't been able to find a way to use it to control the Camera when taking movies. AllI want to do is remotely start and stop the recording. Would anyone happen to know how to do this? The RC unit allows me to do...
  20. B

5DMKIII Autofocus help required

Hi, I finally got my new 5D, moved up from a 400D, and I am "ashamed" to say I have been doing a lot of reading in the camera manual :o I've been playing with the autofocus settings while trying to take shots of some of the birds in our garden. Attached an example that is causing me problems...