Search results

1. L

Patent: Canon EF 28-560mm f/2.8-5.6

Checking date... not 1st April. Ok, I'm up for this.
  2. L

Sigma To Announce Two New Lenses on February 23

My guess remains as in the previous thread, that of a xx-300mm f/4 zoom. I can't see it being <150mm focal length at the long end whatever it ends up being. The macro zoom idea is one I'd also like to see, but harder to predict what might be possible.
  3. L

Sigma Teasing New Faster Than f/2.8 Zoom?

Making some assumptions from image of the rear lens cap and front, I estimate it could have a 72mm filter thread. I don't think there is quite the size to go to 77mm but of course I could be wrong. Anyone else want to have a go? Sticking to 72mm filter, that would allow up to 200mm f/2.8, but...
  4. L

Patent: EF-S 18-100mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Given we already have the 15-85 and 18-135 lenses either side of this zoom range, it does seem a bit superfluous. Unless it brings something additional to the table.
  5. L

What Do You Want to See in the EOS M System?

Actually I was aiming even lower than the Canon 300/4. Any hypothetical lens as I propose probably should cover FF for later system expansion anyway. It may be an awkward position, but what I imagine would be below "L" status, yet have water resistance as a standard feature. I had not considered...
  6. L

What Do You Want to See in the EOS M System?

The questions should include: what will this mirrorless body offer you, that you can't do (with Canon) today? If it does the same or less, without bringing anything much new, it will struggle. As far as I can tell, all the current M's have bought along is a small-ish size, but not a lot else...
  7. L

Patent: Canon EF 24-300mm f/4-5.6

While I'm sure this lens in L version would be great, the price would be a major problem. Personally I'd rather see a non-L version to keep costs reasonable. It could be very handy for those "I don't intend to take serious photos but want to take a decent camera with me" trips.
  8. L

Blood Moon Eclipse Show Photos Here

Same shot as my previous post, but I'm finally installing more software on my new PC build, so here it is with some wavelets via Registax 5 and a bit of tinkering in Photoshop Elements.
  9. L

Blood Moon Eclipse Show Photos Here

My attempt attached. I got lazy, and just used Canon gear, not my astro gear which would have required a lot more setup than I can be bothered with at that time of night! 7D2, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 EX OS HSM + Sigma 1.4x teleconverter for 420mm f/4, 1s, ISO800. Static mount. Image cropped...
  10. L

Aquarium- what lens to use

Think most things have been covered. Keep perpendicular to the glass where possible otherwise you get refractive effects, particularly with big apertures. Wear a dark top so at least you're not contributing to bright reflections when you can't get close to the glass.
  11. L

Samsung Leaving the Camera Business?

At least in my part of the world, Samsung cameras have practically no physical presence. On the other hand, I recently got an S6, and I am amazed at the image quality from that. It beats my high end compact camera from a few years ago, but isn't going to worry a DSLR any time soon. So Samsung...
  12. L

MORE Canon Mega-Pixels, 250 of them, but none for you!

Finally, something getting interesting for oversampling. The mindset you should use is that not every single pixel has to look perfect out of the sensor. It's what you do with them afterwards. This level of pixel density isn't even that high, since it has been available in compact cameras for...
  13. L

What's your thoughts: Photozone's Canon 11-24mm f/4 L review?

Photozone use imatest, and uses a chart at a given distance. For this lens, it was stated in the forum they could effectively double the size of the chart by making one corner the centre of the image, and using the opposite corner to test the image edge. It was also stated in the forum there...
  14. L

DxOMark Review: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

No, you are not alone. Back on topic, I haven't paid attention to DxO lens scores for a while, even longer than sensor scores. Are they any more meaningful now?
  15. L

Patent: Lubricating Canon Body Cap

If I want to throw a spare body into my camera bag, then I'd put the cap on. Even if it doesn't save space compared to using a lens as a cap, the shape is easier to pack. So this might be more of a situation for those with multiple bodies.
  16. L

Patent: Canon EF 10mm f/2.8

10mm on FF would give some seriously wide images, but I don't see how it would be in any way a replacement for a 14mm.
  17. L

Patent: Canon Improved Mirror, AF at High FPS & EVF

Sony SLT was also the first thought I had when I saw this.
  18. L

Canon Developing a New Slower Supertelephoto Lens [CR2]

Any clue as to if it will be a prime or zoom? I find it hard to imagine Canon making a prime >400mm non-L, and if L wont be affordable. So I'm betting on a zoom. How do we even define affordable anyway? Based on Sigma "C"/Tamron 150-600 street pricing I'd say that was "affordable". Canon could...
  19. L

Patent: EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS

I used to have the Sony/Zeiss 16-80 which was f/4.5 on the long end. I didn't appreciate it then, but I do miss that on the 15-85. I also find the 15-85 not as good in micro-contrast so there is a bit of room for improvement there.
  20. L

Canon EOS 7D Mark II AF Issues

If there is a real problem, I'm sure we'll get a "phenomenon" statement from Canon in due course. I'm not inexperienced but don't claim to be the best, but I just gave my 7D2 a BIF workout earlier this week. I hate to admit I haven't used it much since I got it last year so I'm a bit rusty. I...