Search results

1. K

1Dx3 - to be honest a bit disappointed

I recently received my 1Dx3, having upgraded from a 1Dx2, and have been putting it through the tests. The following are my opinions from use. No photos, as this isn't a full in-depth review. AF - my first impression was that it's a lot better. It snaps on quickly and does an excellent job...
  2. K

G7x III vs Rx100 Mark VII

When the G7x3 was announced, I placed a preorder. While I'm not against paying more for the new Sony Rx100 VII, I'm having difficulties seeing any real advantage. The following are the primary needs. Pri 0 - My son uses it for his YouTube channel. His current biggest concerns are low light...
  3. K

Ethics of a photograph containing a baited animal

Recently I went on a boat tour to see eagles, and the guide lured several in by throwing fish in the water. The eagles would then swoop down and catch the fish not far from our boat. Below is one shot from this trip. Note that the lighting was terrible, so I'm aware of issues in this shot. So...
  4. K

Which telephoto to take for Namibia

We'll be traveling to Namibia in July of next year, and I'm already planning which lenses to take. I have the wide angle lenses pretty much taken care of, but I'm still wondering which telephoto. This year we travelled to South Africa and Botswana. The safari part was all private safaris and a...
  5. K

Best lens options for safari in private game reserve

We'll be travelling to southern Africa this year for a trip I've wanted to do my entire life. The safari part of the vacation (half will be spent exploring the Western Cape) will take place at Tintswalo Lodge in the Manyeleti, South Africa and Mashatu, just across the border in Botswana. Both...
  6. K

Canon TS-E 45 flare?

I currently use my TS-E 90, TS-E 17, and TS-E 24 II lenses very often, and I'm leaning toward adding the TS-E 45 because recently I've run into a number of cases where that would have been the perfect focal length. I've long hesitated because it's the worst performing TS lens, but based on my...
  7. K

Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?

My main passion is wildlife photography. I'm very happy with the gear I have - a 200-400/1.4x on a 1Dx Mark II, but as with any wildlife photography the lens you want is bigger than the one you have. For that reason I've been considering a 600/4 II. However, since I don't have the funds anyway...
  8. K

Samyang 14mm 2.4 reviews, but where to buy

I see that there are reviews out there for the new Samyang 14mm 2.4. https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-premium-mf-14mm-f-2-4-lens-review-30229 http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samyang_premium_mf_14mm_f2_4_review/ Of course, neither of these reviews covers the one thing people...
  9. K

Looking for a good overnight backpack

I currently have a GuraGear Bataflae that works fine for day hikes and travel, but I'd like to find a bag that I can use for multiday hikes. Basically I'm looking for something that's more of a hiking bag than a camera bag - but that has the dividers to keep camera gear safe. It should have room...
  10. K

Worth picking up a 5DsR, or waiting?

Currently my main camera is a 1Dx2. I also own a 5d3 but I will be selling it soon as there's really no reason to use it over the 1Dx2 except as an occasional backup camera. For similar reasons I will not be buying a 5D4. The extra 10MP doesn't really justify it. I really like the 1Dx2 and in...
  11. K

So when do we think the 5DS and 5DSR will be updated?

The 5D4 looks like a nice camera, but since I already have a 1DX2 there looks to be too much overlap to pick one up. I do believe a high MP camera will complement it well, but I'd prefer to wait until the 5DS + 5DSR are updated with the latest DR improvements. Any ideas when we may see them...
  12. K

Hummingbird in infrared

I took this hummingbird shot with an infrared (590nm) 6D recently. AF didn't work so I had to manually focus it, which was a bit difficult. I am curious what you think of the shot. Infrared Hummingbird by Joseph Calev, on Flickr
  13. K

Testing out some uncommon infrared lenses

Recently I received my 6D back from LifePixel converted to infrared (OK, 590nm - so purists won't consider this true infrared) and I decided to try out a few more uncommon lenses to see how well they handled. Below are a few of the photos, but here are my rough findings. 200-400/1.4x I had...
  14. K

Lenses/camera for Rio de Janeiro and Salvador de Bahia

We'll be travelling to Brazil soon and while most of our time will be in the Pantanal, we'll also be spending some time in Salvador and Rio. I am a bit concerned about security, so I have done the following for sunrise/sunset photography. - Booked rooms at hotels in both locations with a view...
  15. K

Let's see your 11-24 images

I thought I would create this thread for everyone to show off their images with the new 11-24. I'll start with a few of mine from my first day shooting with this lens. I took this shot a few minutes after opening the box. It is the most I have been able to get of our treehouse in one shot...
  16. K

Sending my 7D2 back due to high ISO noise

I received my 7D2 last Thursday and immediately set out for wildlife to photograph. My primary interest is wildlife photography and I spend one hour in a park every day before going to work. I currently use a 5D3 with a 200-400/1.4x and a 6D as my backup body (mainly for landscapes). Going in...
  17. K

Need very large camera backpack

Hello everyone, I currently have a ThinkTankPhoto Airport Accelerator that I rather like, but I wish I could hold more gear in it. I am looking for a larger camera bag. So far the only bag I have found is the Lowepro 600AW, but I am curious if there are better choices. The following is what...
  18. K

Canon 200-400/1.4x on sale at BuyDig

I realize that few of you are likely to buy this lens on a whim, but I have been eyeing it for quite some time while I slowly saved up. Then to my delight I found it ~$1k off last night at BuyDig and I was finally able to order it. If you go to their site it lists for $11,299 - or about $500...
  19. K

Advice on metal print companies who deal with pros?

Hello everyone, I recently started my own photography business where I sell my prints - typically canvas or metal. Two weeks ago I held my first exhibition and I am about to talk to several interested local establishments about displaying my work. In order for this to work financially, I need...
  20. K

Advice on dream African photo safari

Hello everyone, I have been given the go ahead to plan a dream wildlife photo safari for the summer of 2015. Photographing African wildlife on safari has been a goal of mine for years and because this coincides with a big birthday celebration I have been given permission to design my perfect...