Search results

1. T

DP Review of New Canon 5Ds

Uhh... good point :)... I had forgot about those, but you're right, Canon really is behind and in light of that it's even more of a mystery.
  2. T

Canon EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Ds R Preview

I don't think the DR thing is ignorance from Canon, I'm guessing Sony holds some pretty important patents and without them it's very hard to compete. Canon simply can't do it, if they could they would. The noise quality will make a big difference though, if the noise is nicely random and lacks...
  3. T

What surprises me is why Canon waited this long to make a high MP camera if they couldn't compete on DR anyway. They could have released a 30-something camera when Nikon D800 took off. I suspect that Sony has some key patents that makes it extremely difficult for any other player to compete on DR.
  4. T

In a way I'm a bit pleased that DR is not progressing. In addition to my Canon I'm using this old-school medium format camera, and it's nice to see that it's still not obsolete ;). Quite remarkable that an MFD CCD from 2004 (mine is from 2008) has slightly better DR than a Canon camera from...
  5. T

It answered the main question I had -- have they fixed the DR issue, and the answer is --- no. Well, that's going to disappoint people.
  6. T

More Images of the Canon EOS 5DS R

Re: More Images of the Canon EOS 5DS & 5DS R Camera companies (except Sony?) are extremely conservative when it comes to changing camera operation and design for a good reason. When you use a camera a lot you start to get reflexes, and you would not be happy if buttons would move around between...
  7. T

POLL: aa, or not to aa (5ds vs. 5dsr) ?

Here's an example of false colors in an irregular landscape subject, the magenta and cyan pixels are not there in reality: http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/img/ltr-colormoire.jpg this requires the lens to be very sharp of course, and results vary depending on demosaicers. In general...
  8. T

Being a contributor to RawTherapee I know a thing or two about demosaicing, and sensors without AA filters is not making it easier. You will get false details and colors, when you know what happens on the software level and how much errors there is in the final image it's much harder to think...
  9. T

I shoot medium format were there you can't get a camera with AA filter. It's a pain. People has come to believe that being without low pass filter is a feature, but believe me it's not. It's a bad idea, anyone remotely familiar with signal processing knows it. People think it's only about...
  10. T

More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

Re: Colou You can read this about the Phase One IQ250 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_phase_one_iq250_cmos_fully_realized.shtml quoting the section on the CFA: "As one example, the selection of a CFA, the color pattern put in front of the sensor, is a choice between quality of...
  11. T

Re: More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R No, it's a medium format thing, on medium format forums these kind of very subtle and subjective color issues are discussed at length. I can guarantee that it's a very small difference in the CFA, and it does not limit high ISO that much. Capping it at...
  12. T

Re: More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R That's really interesting. A claimed advantage of medium format digital cameras have been that they have color-optimized CFAs rather than high ISO, it would be awesome if this sensor has taken the same type of optimization. I think a 50 megapixel camera...
  13. T

Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

On the topic "which version to get" that is with or without AA filter, it will depend if you care about pixel peep crispness or real image quality. AA filter is a good idea, sure it will reduce crispness but also take away most false colors and aliasing, and moire. Diffraction won't kill...
  14. T

Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

It's supposed to be a medium format killer, don't you think? In that case ISO6400 is plenty. Still seems as an unlikely upper limit coming from Canon, but maybe they want to sell the lower megapixel cameras for high ISO work.
  15. T

A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]

Re: A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1] One thing is sure, a high megapixel Canon body with the same DR as previous Canon models would be a massive disappointment. To make the consumers happy it must be competitive with Sony in this regard. If the only way they can achieve...
  16. T

Poll: Would you buy a high MP Canon EOS 5DIV?

I'm interested in a high MP Canon, but I would be disappointed if they are not competitive with the Sony sensors concerning base ISO dynamic range. I'm less interested in high ISO performance as I would not intend to use a high MP camera as an all-around camera, but rather use it as I use my...
  17. T

A New EOS Pro Body With 46mp Next Month? [CR1]

D800, D810 and A7r have been proven popular. Crossover into medium format space. $9k is still cheap compared to medium format. A high MP body is a good idea, but if Canon cannot compete in dynamic range at base ISO I think it's better to wait until they can. Canon has so far prioritized video...
  18. T

Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras Unfortunately(?) the DSLR concept is as dead as CRTs (you know those big fat TVs and computer screens) was in the early 2000s, but they don't know it yet. DSLRs will hang on for as long EVFs and on-sensor focusing is not...
  19. T

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras I think this is the adapter: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter Focusing performance etc won't be great of course, but I would be using this camera for landscape and still life (for hand-held action and...
  20. T

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras :) It depends on genre. Canon has always been great for journalism, action, wildlife, ie the high ISO lower res department. This new A7R is not at all that competitive in these genres by the way, too slow. For still...