Search results

1. pj1974

Canon EOS R5 Mark II will ship in June or July

I haven't often seen our Aussie pricing of Canon gear matching US pricing (taking tax and currency rates into account). Some years ago it was notably more expensive in Aus, but still I thought (from some recent research) - that US prices still were cheaper.. But you are encouraging me to look...
  2. pj1974

Voigtlander Nokton RF 50mm f/1 specifications and pricing released

Hmmmm.. not an inexpensive (MF) lens, but if it has outstanding optical quality, it could prove to be a very useful tool for certain photographers / videographers - specifically situations to use that extreme f/1 aperture. I look forward to hearing, reading and seeing more about this lens once...
  3. pj1974

AF performance on M bodies compared to M3?

I have owned a few M bodies, M, M3, M5, and used a friend's M50mkII. M5's AF is much better than the M and notably better than the M3 I have also briefly handled the M6mkII in - and it's AF does appear superior to the M5 (and M6 original) The max aperture of the lens makes a lot of...
  4. pj1974

R7 Autofocus

There is info about the new Canon R7 here, including a reasonably helpful description about the R7's AF / autofocus. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r7-initial-review " The EOS R7 gains the same autofocus system as the R10. This dispenses with the separate Face/Tracking focus mode...
  5. pj1974

Are you interested in the Tamron 35-150mm F2-2.8 coming to RF mount?

Hi friends Thanks for your valued contributions, thoughts and discussion on this topic / thread. With full frame (e.g. Canon RF) mirrorless, it's definitely a different market than the "entry level DSLRs" of even a handful of year ago, mainly because of the following reasons: a) the prices of...
  6. pj1974

The focus shift issue with the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro revisited in revised review

Really helpful post, YuengLinger... I appreciate you taking the time to write, and share your interesting experiences with the Sigma 180mm macro. I have also heard a number of others saying how much they like that lens. When that lens first came out, I was also looking at that as a possibility...
  7. pj1974

The focus shift issue with the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro revisited in revised review

Many thanks koenkooi for your detailed, and very helpful reply. That certainly will be something I'll keep in mind. I count myself 'medium ability' when it comes to steady hands for photography. I really love the EF100mmL macro, and hopefully it'll serve me well when I get a Canon RF camera. I...
  8. pj1974

Hi Dilbert I get what you're saying... the lack of third party lens manufacturers does indeed reduce the appeal of RF cameras for some. For Canon- opening their mount (and related protocols) to 3rd party manufacturers introduces both pros and cons ... Pros 1) some new customers will be...
  9. pj1974

Yes, CFB, I agree with you. The EF to RF adapter does give a lot of decent scope for 3rd party manufacturers to still have an 'in' into the Canon RF market. However I also know that many users prefer not to use adapters, at times because of weight/size and convenience. I have been using a EF...
  10. pj1974

Thanks for taking the time to reply. jd7 I hear you on the various great lenses that are available for Sony E-mount (with some of these having no equivalents in Canon RF mount). Thankfully Canon have also brought some great RF lenses to the market (some of which are unique too). My hope is...
  11. pj1974

Hi koenkooi Could you please explain / expand on how the EF100L does not play well with the R5's IBIS? I have the EF100L, and when I go full RF (likely R5 or similar), I would really like to know any issues about this lens beforehand. Many thanks (in advance)! PJ
  12. pj1974

Hi All I discovered that Tamron has developed a 35-150mm f/2-2.8 lens (for Sony E-mount) ... and wow, this lens would be great (it would be even better if it also came in RF mount). You can find more information on this lens via the following link to Tamron's website press-release...
  13. pj1974

Sigma 150–600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports

Yes, this does look like an exciting and interesting quality telezoom lens indeed. Certainly hope it will be made available for RF mount... but there area AF (& IBIS) Canon algorithms and protocols which mean that in some respects Canon RF lenses may be best for future compatibility / utilising...
  14. pj1974

More Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Information

Well done Canon! This is a desirable macro lens, with an enviable list of specifications: - 1.4x magnification (useful for even greater close-up detail) - spherical aberration control (which I had guessed in the original post about this lens - as I understood it would impact bokeh) - 5.5 stops...
  15. pj1974

New Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro features revealed

Wow, that looks interesting indeed... and yes!! I was right... as I guessed in the previous post about this lens that the "SA Control" refers to the ability to control / adjust spherical aberration. I do hope that this lens will be at least as successful as the amazing EF 100mm f/2.8 (1:1)...
  16. pj1974

Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Interesting... the lens looks fairly similar to the EF 100mm L IS f/2.8 macro (which I own). Obviously the control ring at the front (a given) was going to be different / new. The "SA Control" I am guessing is some ability to change the dynamics of spherical aberration perhaps? If so, that's...
  17. pj1974

This is the Canon RF lens roadmap

Except, a 2x extender on a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens becomes a 140-400mm f/5.6 lens (not f/3.5!) ;) i.e. 2 stops, or another way of saying/writing it is, a reduction of -2EV :cool:
  18. pj1974

This is the possible Canon RF mount camera roadmap [CR2]

This CR2 rumour is particularly enticing for me. I have not yet bought into the RF mount system, but I definitely plan to. The most attractive camera to me would be the high resolution "R5s" model. In fact, the R5 is pretty much my ideal camera in almost every aspect: image quality, autofocus...
  19. pj1974

Review: Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM by TDP

I can definitely see extra sharpness in the RF 85mm f/2 lens wide open compared with the EF 85mm f/1.8 @ either f/1.8 or f/2. In every test image from TDP as well as Gordan Laing's comparisons. In some scenes & tests the difference is more noticeable than others. I also see a much higher CA in...
  20. pj1974

This is the Canon RF lens roadmap

The 14-35mm f/4 L is the most interesting of yet-to-be-announced-and-released lenses from this roadmap for me. I love UWA for landscape mainly, and so prefer each mm of (ultra) wide angle goodness over an extra stop of speed. 95% of the time at ~14mm/15mm I'm at f/8 - f/16 anyway. I also use...