Search results

1. drmikeinpdx

IBIS on tripod?

Thanks Neuro! You are my go-to expert! I remember when I first got my R6, I shot a waterfall on a tripod with the IS left on. There was this weird uniform blur that affected all parts of the image equally. I went back and shot it again with the IS turned off and it looked a lot better. I'm...
  2. drmikeinpdx

IBIS on tripod?

What's the current consensus on the question of turning off image stabilization when using a tripod? I use an R6 mark 2 and will be doing some landscape photography with the RF 24-105 f/4 and the RF 70-200 f/2.8 which of course have their own stabilization systems that apparently work together...
  3. drmikeinpdx

What's the consensus on R6 upgrade to Mark II?

I wanted a backup body to go with my R6 and thought about just getting another R6 since the prices have come down. After debating with myself for a month, I decided to go with the R6 Mark II. It wasn't available online, so drove to a local pro camera store to pick it up, just like in the old...
  4. drmikeinpdx

Goodbye R5

Hey Mt. Spokane - I've had a number of my fellow senior photographers downsize their gear and all have been impressed with the images they can capture. I've been using an R10 as my travel camera for several months and have decided to stick with the kit lens due to its small size and weight...
  5. drmikeinpdx

What's the consensus on R6 upgrade to Mark II?

I've been using an R6 pretty heavily for more than two years and I'm starting to think about getting a backup body. I have an R10 to use in an emergency, but I want a second body that is similar to my main camera. Should I just get another R6 Mark I or pay a bit more for a Mark II. I'm just...
  6. drmikeinpdx

R10 user reports

I do, but I don't know what format would make the most sense for posting here. Obviously we can't post RAW files, but do my fellow Canon Fanboys prefer uncropped maximum resolution jpgs? Or perhaps cropped sections? What do you guys use?
  7. drmikeinpdx

R10 user reports

Hey Gang, Got my R10 yesterday from Amazon. It's going to replace my trusty 77D that has been used primarily as a travel camera and theoretically as a backup to my R6 for professional work. I took it out for a short trial run today with tripod and various lenses. Here are some things I've...
  8. drmikeinpdx

Thoughts of R6 Owners who "upgraded" from a 5D4 (or similar DSLR, or an RP)?

I switched from the 5D4 to the R6 in late 2020 and I'm very happy. I never touched the 5D4 or the 90D again, so I sold them and about a dozen EF lenses to a large used camera company several months ago. What do I love about the R6? Very reliable eye tracking autofocus No need for...
  9. drmikeinpdx

Has anyone found a strobe that will keep up with high speed continuous shooting?

Thanks for pointing that out, Mt. Spokane! I wasn't aware that LED photo strobes existed. Looks like it's too expensive for me now, but in a few years that could change. I need to keep an eye on this new technology. For now, I've ordered a QT600 Godox which is supposed to have a very fast...
  10. drmikeinpdx

Has anyone found a strobe that will keep up with high speed continuous shooting?

My R6 will shoot at up to 12 frames per second. I'd like to have a set of studio strobes that will keep up with that shooting speed for at least a full second to capture people in motion. I have two different strobes that will keep up for eight frames before they start missing shots. In order...
  11. drmikeinpdx

Canon to finally announce a fast RF 35mm lens by Q3 of 2022

I'm pretty happy with my RF 35mm F/1.8 for photographing people so I doubt if I will spend the big bucks to get the larger and heavier RF 35mm L. I use my 35 F/1.8 as my available light lens on my R6. It's a bit noisy for video, but I'm really only shooting stills these days. When using...
  12. drmikeinpdx

AF assist beam on R6?

Neuro for the win!! You are absolutely right! Now I will have to play around with this feature.
  13. drmikeinpdx

AF assist beam on R6?

Thanks Neuro. Mine still doesn't come on, even in a pitch black room. I have the menu choice set to "enable" but there is also an option for "LED AF assist beam only" Not sure what that is for, but it still doesn't make the assist light work. Do you need to have the camera in a particular...
  14. drmikeinpdx

AF assist beam on R6?

I have an R6 and my friend has an R5. I told him that I sometimes had trouble getting the autofocus to lock on in low light. He showed me the AF assist light on the front of his R5 body which throws out a red beam in front of the camera. I had been under the impression that AF assist lights...
  15. drmikeinpdx

Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

I have not tried the M system, although I gave it some thought. In the past, I figured it didn't provide much additional function over my 77D. Recently I think I heard it was going to be discontinued.
  16. drmikeinpdx

Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

I use an R6 quite heavily for my professional work and now have 5 RF lenses. The only DSLR I've retained is my trusty Rebel-class 77D that I use as a travel camera. I'd love to see a mirrorless Rebel.
  17. drmikeinpdx

Max frame rate of R6 in real life?

Thanks for the advice! I tried again with a genuine Canon battery pack and the frame rate was much faster.
  18. drmikeinpdx

Max frame rate of R6 in real life?

I occasionally shoot some stills with my R6 set on H+, the highest continuous frame rate. It's supposed to be 12 frames per second, but it doesn't seem that fast to me. Does anyone recall hearing that the battery type had an effect on the max frame rate? Or maybe the level of charge on...
  19. drmikeinpdx

85 RF STM in

Can one of you RF 85 owners comment on the autofocus noise? It's my one complaint about the RF 35 STM. There is also an odd review on the Adorama site saying that the autofocus speed is reduced during video shooting. Is that true? Thanks!
  20. drmikeinpdx

R6 for stills - 10 weeks of experience

I wrote a blog post about my first six months with the R6. There is an NSFW image, so click with caution. https://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2021/3/canon-eos-r6---six-months-in-how-much-do-i-like-it