Search results

1. C

Is Pixel-Shift coming to the Canon EOS R5?

From my experience, it works well on the newer EM1 Mark III and the OM1, but it only works if you have a good lens. Oddly enough, the hand held high resolution mode works very well for astrophotography landscapes and can replace a tracker when shooting up to 60 second exposures.
  2. C

Problems with built in microphon on R5 - which external mic?

Unfortunately, that's a no win situation. Generally speaking, a mic that isn't powered won't perform well, and even a phantom powered XLR shot gun will struggle at that distance. There's a few ways I handle this. If I'm the only one filming, I'll attach a microphone to the podium and use an...
  3. C

Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but tax is the reason.
  4. C

Problems with built in microphon on R5 - which external mic?

That's a great microphone, but you'll probably need phantom power for it. I use a Rode NTG shotgun that's battery powered(battery lasts forever) for the R5 for quick run and gun. I didn't care about quality when I bought mine, I use it to help sync with an additional microphone (usually a lav...
  5. C

The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Sounds like for your needs you would be better off waiting for the R5c. For my needs, the R5 works very well as a hybrid shooter. I just use the C70 for long form.
  6. C

Firmware: Canon Cinema EOS C70 v1.0.1.1

I run both. The R5 is actually my first choice for video, the C70 gets the use when I need the DR from the DGO.
  7. C

RF 14-35L

I assume pricing will be the big motivator. For example, the 70-200 f/2.8 is $2,699 vs $1,599 for the f/4.
  8. C

RF 14-35L

Nokishita said it's the next lens announcement. They posted it an hour ago.
  9. C

Here is the Canon EOS R3

It comes from Nokishita, they're pretty reliable.
  10. C

Patent: Canon shows off a new approach to the modern shutter button

In engineering terms, this is what we call a solution looking for a problem. Realistically, they likely came up with the idea and figured it's worth parenting. Even if they don't use it, they can profit on someone else who decides to do something like this.
  11. C

Industry News: Nikon releases their Z mount lens roadmap

In terms of sensors, there won't be a big leap until they get a decent agreement from Sony. Sony Semiconductor is real picky on who gets what sensors and what features are allowed. It's part of the reason that GoPro was using an ancient sensor until recently, and even then, it's not the most...
  12. C

Laser Lights can damage the camera's sensor, scary!

It's not much of an issue if you shoot for a short period at a standard focal length, especially at sunset or sunrise. But if you're using a longer focal length and having it pointed at the sun for a long period of time(more than a few seconds), then you'll want to take the same precautions as...
  13. C

A bit more about the rumored EOS R for video [CR1]

For Instagram, 2 megapixels looks pretty good. I assume 12 megapixel looks fine printed up at 16x20. One of the 20x30s hanging in my house is from an 8 megapixel Canon from yesteryear.
  14. C

Adorama puts an expected arrival date on the Canon EOS R5 body

They're available at Best Buy with the cheaper kit lens. Not available as the body only.
  15. C

R6 - 1st Impressions

You can get a good comparison on the studio comparison tools...
  16. C

Interview: Canon addresses overheating concerns, workarounds and the Cripple Hammer

The only temp that looked slightly concerning was the CFast card, hitting around 50c(only a slight concern for a burn if someone holds it in their hand for a minute(assuming the card doesn't cool down by the minute mark, which it will). The body itself doesn't get that hot, even in direct...
  17. C

Teardown: Canon EOS R5 by Lensrentals.com

My 5D Mark III also took a few baths in downpours right after buying it in 2012, it hasn't skipped a beat. I also used to use old Rebels for storm chasing and never had one fail, those were abused.
  18. C

Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

That statement is a bit skewed when forgetting the facts between each camera. The R5 matches and still beats the A7R IV's video specs in the modes that do not overheat. A7R IV Oversampled 4K full frame: No Lineskipping/pixel bin full frame 4K: Yes, limited to 8 bit, no overheating R5...
  19. C

Industry News: Panasonic S5 specifications leak ahead of an official announcement

I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but would be pleasantly surprised if that changed. The Panasonic contrast AF I'm used to works well for setting up your shot, but not for tracking. It surprises me that they can't get an amazing auto focus system considering they've been able to produce reliable...
  20. C

This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Compare the R6's 4K24p times record times to the R5's HQ 4K24p times for the answer. The R6 doesn't have to oversample as many pixels, like you noted in your response. The reason the R5 can shoot a low quality 4K and the R6 cannot is because the R5 can line skip and read 1:1 on pixels for 4K...